Teach me something ... ?

Jul 13, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
Okay so whenever i perform for friends or other kids in my school , there comes a time where they ask me to teach them something so they can impress their friends ... and i usually show them how to do the four jacks trick where they are lost somewhere in the deck and come back on top, because it's a very common trick.

So i was wondering if i should keep doing that, teaching them the four jacks or just make something up and don't teach them anything .. ? That's the only trick that i teach random people btw, nothing more.

Jun 22, 2009
Well depending on how many people you are giving the trick away to could murder the secret. I suggest introducing them to the library and if they really want to take magic seriously guide them in the right path. I have had my moments where friends ask the same question and then they learn it, but never apply it... you basically kill an effect for nothing if they don't take it seriously.

Jul 13, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
Well depending on how many people you are giving the trick away to could murder the secret. I suggest introducing them to the library and if they really want to take magic seriously guide them in the right path. I have had my moments where friends ask the same question and then they learn it, but never apply it... you basically kill an effect for nothing if they don't take it seriously.

yeah actually, i inspired some kids and friends in my school to go into card magic. They are not TOO serious about it but try to learn simple self working tricks every now and then. Some also carry more decks than i do :O.

So is it a good thing to inspire other people to get into card magic ?

Sep 6, 2009
Cincinnati
teaching someone a trick is merely confirming that what you're doing is related to tricks and sleight of hand, and not magic.

Don't teach, I never do. Tell them you were born with your powers, it can't be taught.

Or shove them a deck of bikes, some half dollars and Tarbell's course, and lock them in a room for 10 years. See how good of a magician they are then. :D

Note: one thing you should look into are "sucker" tricks. Tricks that make the spectators think they are getting the secret to a simple trick, but you're just setting them up. I despise effects of these kinds, as the audiences I work for don't like being "suckers", but they do have a time and place. (albeit rare).

Sep 1, 2007
One of the nicest ideas I've heard for dealing with this kind of situation is to show them something like a charlier cut. If they're willing to go buy a deck of cards and practise the charlier cut until they can do it well then come back and show you, they have proven that they are willing to put in some effort and have earned the right to some instruction.

After that you could show them a simple key card location using the charlier for the key card placement, so they get to use their new move. If that goes well send them off to buy a copy of the royal road and help them work through it chapter by chapter.

Of course, if the idea of helping someone else learn doesn't appeal for whatever reason, then just throw them the old "magicians never reveal their secrets" line.

Cheers,
David.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Tell them there's nothing to teach of them. They just need to buy some pixie dust from their local walmart.

The thing is,most reason why they ask to for tricks to be tought to them is because they dont see it as magic. They take it as a neat trick that they can also do for their friends. If you dont present it as magic,the respect level goes down and they ask to learn it.
Those who cant do,teach.

Sep 1, 2007
Those who cant do,teach.

As a teacher, I geniunely find that smart-ass little quote pretty offensive. I don't have a stick up my ass about it, but really? Teaching is a skilled and important job and deserves more respect.

Ironic, seeing as so many people on here go on about how important it is to have a MENTOR to learn magic well! Never mind that here at T11 the artists teach via DVDs and 1-on-1s...are you saying that they are inadequate because they choose to pass on their knowledge?

Poor show.
David.

Jul 13, 2009
Look if someone really seems genuine in learning some magic, don't give them some sarcastic response. It only makes you look like an ash, teach them something simple ie 21 card trick, or maybe a good key card location. Then once you do that refer them to something like Mark Wilson's book which can be found in any big corporate bookstore.

To say that a method ruins your magic should be irrelevant. Most of the people on here don't give a hoot to try and convince your participants that you really have magical powers. Why should it matter if you teach a simple trick. Really I think the reason most are giving the neigh don't teach them response, is caused by your magic ego being to big. To paraphrase the head of the Magic circle from an interview on "The magic newswire"
Magic is behind a closed door, but it remains unlocked. If one just pushes on the door, it will open to the curious.

I suggest you all subscribe to "The Magic Newswire" and listen to the interview regarding exposure.

Jul 18, 2009
Visualartist that quote was quite rude to all teachers of all kinds and I believe you should apologize.

Dec 18, 2009
Dont teach. My friends did the same thing when I was starting out and I revealed every so often. I've never regretted anything more. It spread through the whole school and it annoyed me then and still does. If your audience is really going to get into magic they'll learn on their own. I've inspired a few kids. I haven't shared a single secret with them other than patter tips yet they keep going.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 30, 2009
before i really became a magician i will admit i went on youtube to find tricks, so now i have a wealth of knowledge on easy, almost self working tricks, that nearly any magician would laugh at, so thats what i do, when im asked to teach somebody something, i throw out something easy and self working or nearly self working, good enough to impress your friends, unless a real magician is arround, then its thrown out the window and called crap,

random side note, i think i found my favorite spectator to be my substitute teacher, had him as at eacher for only the second time and i was running out of tricks today because i really wasnt prepared and he goes "show us some that you did on me that first day before i knew you were a sorcerer or wizard or whatever" (it was us because it started with me and the teacher, and within 2 minutes the entire class was circled arround me lol) now thats when you know its good, when they call you a wizard instead of a magician lol

i feel sorry for one girl lol, one of my classmates was standing there so i did a trick on her, easy trick where a card i had her hold shows up to be her card (we all know how that one could be done) and she screamed lol, i think the whole school heard her, she was afraid to touch the deck too much after that

had to share that because i felt verry proud of myself lol

Sep 1, 2007
As a teacher, I geniunely find that smart-ass little quote pretty offensive. I don't have a stick up my ass about it, but really? Teaching is a skilled and important job and deserves more respect.

Taking things a liiiiitle too personally, methinks.

Visualartist that quote was quite rude to all teachers of all kinds and I believe you should apologize.

Piss off.

Oh is that so? Then Wayne Houchin, Dan and Dave, Aaron Fisher, and other highly respected magicians must not be able to do anything because they teach others like you and I.

You too.

Jesus, this is supposed to be a discussion board, not group therapy for recovering emoholics.

That said, the decision of to teach or not to teach depends entirely on what you portray what you do as.

Jul 18, 2009
I just think Visualartist was being rude. I do agree with you though, you can teach or not teach. It is your decision.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results