Shawn Farquhar on Ellen

Jan 15, 2010
Hi all I'm new here! Nice to meet all the magical brothers here!

Anyway, What is the name of the trick that shawn performed at the end?

Restoring it to a brand new deck.

I seen it somewhere but i just don't know the name of the trick! :(

Thanks in advance!

Hi all I'm new here! Nice to meet all the magical brothers here!

Anyway, What is the name of the trick that shawn performed at the end?

Restoring it to a brand new deck.

I seen it somewhere but i just don't know the name of the trick! :(

Thanks in advance!

its his own personal method and im not sure if he's released it. The only other person i've seen do a similar effect is cyril.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
There is quite a large thread about it on the cafe that talks about where to find the methods to achieve similar effects.

Shane Black has something out that does the exact same thing.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Shawn Farquhar hasn't released his method (which is a vast improvement on earlier methods). Cyril is performing Shawn's method without permission and against Shawn's wishes.

Shane's version is a bit different, and looks very good. His may be the best available on the market. My finger is hovering over the purchase button, but I'm not sure if it is more practical than the method I use. But I'm always looking to streamline my effects.

The major difference seems to be the box. Farquhar's method, he gives the box away at the end. Shane's it appears that you can't (from what I read at the cafe).

Hope that helps!

j

Wow that was much more disappointing than I hoped. I mean, he takes out a "new' deck of cards, shows off his barely flourishy cuts (He actually said, "I'll just do a little Butterfly Cut like this...isn't that cute?") and then just produces some pairs. Then he just deals through the entire deck "finding pairs." Um no. You're just dealing from the top of the deck and the deck is already in pairs. It doesn't take a genius to figure that one out. Very disappointing routine.

The audience doesn't seem super impressed either. Like another person pointed out elsewhere, there should have been gasps or bigger reactions if the audience truly was responding well to the audience. The reaction seemed very canned and fake.

Another thing, Shawn, the audience is smarter than you think. You talk to them like children. Your actions, your voice, your words, etc. seems to be downplaying to the audience. Please work on that in the future.

Overall, a below average performance from somebody who I expected to perform much better.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Wow that was much more disappointing than I hoped. I mean, he takes out a "new' deck of cards, shows off his barely flourishy cuts (He actually said, "I'll just do a little Butterfly Cut like this...isn't that cute?") and then just produces some pairs. Then he just deals through the entire deck "finding pairs." Um no. You're just dealing from the top of the deck and the deck is already in pairs. It doesn't take a genius to figure that one out. Very disappointing routine.

The audience doesn't seem super impressed either. Like another person pointed out elsewhere, there should have been gasps or bigger reactions if the audience truly was responding well to the audience. The reaction seemed very canned and fake.

Another thing, Shawn, the audience is smarter than you think. You talk to them like children. Your actions, your voice, your words, etc. seems to be downplaying to the audience. Please work on that in the future.

Overall, a below average performance from somebody who I expected to perform much better.

...he says very humbly to a FISM winner.... ;)

...he says very humbly to a FISM winner.... ;)
But see that's the thing. Just because he won FISM doesn't mean he did the best job he could. There were flaws that I think needed to be pointed out and improved upon, rather than passed by. I don't care who you are, criticism is always good for your magic.

As Dodd has pointed out on some of the Magic Newswire podcasts, a lot of magicians don't really seem to want criticism. It's as if we're just supposed to say "Great job" and keep going. EVERYBODY can improve their magic. I don't think it matters if they are a FISM winner or whatever, SOMETHING can always be improved. That's why I said what I said.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
While the effect itself was good, I thought the way he talked at the speed of light was just dumb. I don't think he was super nervous due to the fact that he's performed for large audiences before on cruise ships and been on TV before. I didn't however like how he was explaining everything to her. "the 8 is between the 7 and the 9." Yeah we know that... Shut up and get one with it already.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results