Erdnase?

Sep 1, 2007
Haha no worries - just providing another point of view for the sake of balance ;)

@ zeanator - I'm well aware that the centre deal isn't in Erdnase; it was just an example. I also prefer not to practise techniques just to impress other magicians - everything I practise is geared towards my performance work. In any case, fellow magicians should be impressed by a well-constructed and executed routine that fools laymen.

Cheers,
David.

Sep 2, 2007
London
I think maybe something's been missed in this discussion. The reason why Vernon et al prized Erdnase so much is not for the sleights or tricks themselves, but for the thinking behind them. So, you may never use an Open Shift, but by studying Erdnase's description, you may learn something about a move that you do use. In addition, the book is packed with nuggets of sleight-of-hand philosophy, for example, the famous concept of "changing the moment".

Yes, the sleights are good to impress other magicians with. Yes, the tricks are interesting. The main value of Erdnase, however, is not in the what, but in the why.

Read it all and take what you need. Its simple.
Since you dont even have to buy it I dont consider it a hinderance or sacrifice in doing so.

The book isn't expensive, mine was maybe ten bucks. It's considered a good book not only because it is but because it is a classic. Like Romeo and Juliet. I don't care for it and I know many others that don't either, but it is still highly regarded because it is a classic. I personally think it is a great book and there is no harm in flipping through it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results