On The Spot - Gregory Wilson

Sep 6, 2009
Cincinnati
Blurb:
An On-The-Street Video Set of Routined Impromptu Magic

On the Spot is a guerilla course in performing impromptu magic. The material is so strong, you could show up at your next gig with no magic on you and still entertain the daylights out of them. It's that good.

Get ready to experience Greg's outta-sight insights for real people with real off the cuff fun! With these simple but stunning routines, you'll be able to turn everyday objects into weapons of deception.

My Thoughts.
Holy *****. This is one mind blowing DVD. Full of kick@ss, impromptu routines with borrowed stuff that kills! Also, an extremely valuable course in misdirection. Greg, you da man.

It's expensive, but worth 10x every penny you'll pay for it.

My favorite effects

3/4 Across
Similar to Sankey's but I like this one better. I perform it almost daily. It's coins across w/ 3 borrowed coins. Yes, you heard me correctly. If you're looking for a super clean coins across, this is it!

Florida Keys
You've probably heard me go on about how much I love this effect. And, I do. It is amazing! Sooooo visual, and gets GREAT reactions! And you don't have to carry anything extra, Just your keys. No gimmicked keys, just the ones you already have. I LOVE it.

Quicksilver
This is the routine I will always perform when someone hands me a quarter. Basically, It's coin to eye, coin to eye, coin on spec's shoulder, and coin under spec's watch. If you're looking for a casual effect that involves specs a lot and kills, this is it.

Lipstick
Not sure if this is the name, but it's the old classic "ashes through hand" but done with borrowed lipstick. Love it!

A Questionable Trick
A two coin transpo in a spec's hand, pretty powerful stuff. All done with pocket change. Very Powerful!

Sponge Napkins
A KICKASS routine with balled up cocktail napkins from the table. An awesome routine, with the ball appearing all over the spectator (shoulder, under arm, ect). And no, it's not "produced" from there. It really is there, they discover it and freak out. Awesome.

Playful Pickpocketing
Oh boy. Oh boy. This is a GOLDMINE of info about pickpocketing! Gregory is a pro at doing it. He shares techniques for numerous watch steals, pen steals, glasses steals, ect. What's great is to see Gregory riff everything in front of a few people at a bar. He's awesome. This section alone is worth the entire DVD. Gregory also shares a handling for a watch steal he was originally going to keep to himself, because he prized it too much. But, during the filming, he decided to go ahead. This handling is amazing. If you're nervous about performing a watch steal, use that method. You'll never get caught. Greg is a genius. You learn lots of other steals, too.

Recap Revisited
A streamlined version of his Recap routine from Art of Astonishment. It ROCKS! Awesome borrowed pen routine.

Moves
Along with the tricks, Greg also teaches some amazing moves such as

The Slyvester Pitch- Love this move. I used it a lot in other applications.

The Pitch n' Ditch - Takes practice & aim, but when you get it down, You'll never have to ditch something in your pockets again. (thumbtip, extra coin, ect). It can also be used as a vanish.

All around vanish- A great way to show both hands empty casually, while holding something out. No, its not some "handwash technique" Both hands are empty. Classic Greg thinking.

Teaching
Greg's teaching is phenomenal. He doesn't go too fast, and makes sure you understand everything. He has a woman in the studio assisting him with the explanations. I haven't had a single problem learning from him.

Performances
This is what makes this DVD so great. You get to see Greg perform each routine in front of live people. His misdirection, and rapport with the audience is amazing, and it shows in his performances. He is a really funny, likable guy, and the performances alone can make you smile. Along with each real performance, there's an in studio performance on his assistant, too.

Overall
This is an amazing DVD, with two volumes. The wealth of information here in phenomenal, and all of it is perfect for the real world. The effects I reviewed above are some of my favorites. There are more! Absolutely no filler. Every piece is perfect for the working pro. I would've paid the money for just Gregory's performances alone. This DVD is a great choice for those of you who feel like you have to carry a deck of cards or coins to amaze people. You don't. Come see the light, my friends.

This has my utmost and highest recommendations. A solid 10/10, no doubt.

Cheers

Sep 1, 2007
Blurb:
You get to see Greg perform each routine in front of live people.

You've hit right on the button here - the thing I hate most about modern magic releases is all the performances for dead people :p

Only kidding around man - anything from Greg is solid, solid stuff. Can't go wrong!

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
Which should one get for starting levitations - Touching Sky or Levitator? I'd like some impromptu effects that I can do often. Could you also post a review of Touching Sky? I haven't seen one yet.

Ian

Sep 6, 2009
Cincinnati
There's no real "way" to get into it. Just find a few you like and perform them. And yes, Touching on Sky is great.

Pretend I never said that. Let's get back on topic!

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Will, your review is excellent. Anybody in magic who knows me knows that Greg's my hero and inspiration in magic. The material in 'On the spot' is so good- visual, practical, and impromptu. What could be better?
Florida Keys, Questionable trick and the Pitch and Ditch are things that I use all of the time, and have done for years now. This material kills.

Anybody who studies Greg is onto a winner if you ask me.

CL

Drad

Banned
Feb 22, 2009
3/4 Coins across has problems. It seems like an almost ripoff of Sankey's "Mr. Clean Coins across". Sankey's version is much better because it requires no misdirection.

Recap is an amazing routine I perform regularly, but the last phase never works for be because I don't wear watches, so I just sleeve the pen at the end.

Feb 9, 2010
Boston
Recap is an amazing routine I perform regularly, but the last phase never works for be because I don't wear watches, so I just sleeve the pen at the end.

It's funny you mention that. I was reworking recapped and added a few sleeving moves.

The DVD is fantastic... I really can't say enough good things about it.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
3/4 Coins across has problems. It seems like an almost ripoff of Sankey's "Mr. Clean Coins across". Sankey's version is much better because it requires no misdirection.

I have been doing 3/4 across for years and it has never been the slightest issue (sorry for the pun), and imo Greg's seems much more innocent and less suspicious.

For recap, try putting the pen in your pocket, it works well!

j

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne

Sankey and Greg have both been a couple of heroes of mine since my start in sleight of hand. I have compared the two routines substantially, and have found that Greg's handling is a lot more practical in real world situ. It just feels better... As for Recap, the thing I always consider when performing or practicing it, is a quote of Greg's where he talks about scripting magic effects- He talks of the 'script' being a trunk of a tree, but he 'branches out', adding little flourishes as he goes. That's what Recap is for me- I stick to the skeleton of the routine, but make my own way in terms of phases... I like Paul Harris' take on the final phase; Flipstick'ing the pen to vanish it, then sleeving the thing to end clean.

Apollo Robbins' Son of Recap routine is also worth studying for alternate moves/sequences.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results