Being Fooled By A Beginner

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Hello this is something that happened to me the other day...

So, to begin with...I consider myself an above-average magician, not because of the tricks I know, but for the experience and gigs I had...I am still learning ( and I will be learning forever) but I feel like I´m on the right road

I went to the gym the other day and there is my trainer that is a huge fan of my magic and he loves everything I do (and when I say everything I mean magic, not exercise.) that day he told me he wanted to show me a trick and then he took a coin and rub it in his elbow and it dissapear...just to appear in his other hand

I swear I saw the coin in his hand and the other hand empty, I was truly fooled, I didn´t have an idea of how he did that...so I told him to tell me how he did that and he didn´t believe I was fooled for a while because he tought I was kidding but I wasn´t, he finally told me

I know some people here knows that trick or might think that how could I not know how that trick was done...I really don´t know, I don´t know every single sleight or every single trick and I´m OK with that...

Some of us, don´t want to be fooled, even if they are so baddly...I think that´s because he want to feel superior or the best...

I will only say that it´s good to feel fooled once in a while and that even a random people or a begginner can teach us something new..

has this happened to you?

yes it has.
i always am honest if i get fooled.
im human of course. so we all get fooled one time or another.
i would say that i can usually spot out how to do a trick, but if i am fooled i'll be like. wow that is cool. u should show me that! haha but yea its happened to everyone

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I love the feeling of being fooled properly. It's one of the main reasons I continue to go to my local magic club meetings. There's a couple guys there that get me on a regular basis and it just makes me feel good.

How terrible would it be to know so much that it seems like there's no secrets left?

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Yes. I have been fooled numerous times and have been in magic 10 years. I love the feeling of not knowing. It is like viewing magic again as a kid and feeling the excitement and the question of, "How in the heck?"

I honestly don't want to know how EVERYTHING works. That would take the fun out of it.

Simple hits hard and sometimes the easiest method slides past us. We think that there has to be more to it.

I have been fooled in magic but not by beginners or lay-men. When I am performing people want to also "show a trick," hop in the stage light, to also try to impress other people but they never do. The only time recently that I have been seriously fooled is by a british magician on youtube. Every move that he did was absolutely perfect, down to the slightest detail. I was absolutely fooled by him.

Mar 29, 2008
I love magic - I don't like saying getting fooled, because I don't like getting fooled.

Like one time in University, I set up one of those snappers (cap from a cap gun and a metal spring) under some Maxim Magazines - and went upstairs to my appartment. A hour later, my friends and I swore we heard it go off, so ran down to see the aftermath...but the books were still there...so stupidly, I lifted them to see...it went off and scared the hell out of me. I tricked myself. We laughed, but I didn't enjoy being the "fool".

Now - when it comes to magic - I love experiencing magic. I don't try to hear about or learn about stage stuff, so I can still be fooled by it. I am telling you, and this is sad, it is hard to NOT hear about the secrets these days when you are an active magician in the community. So, being fooled is a rarity of sorts - few close up effects still give me that feeling or fool me, and when I see something like "Little Man" and hope the method isn't transparent and the method is better than I think...I am often let down. However....I love when I experience that moment. It is a drug. M. Weber usually supplies those moments for me, and often I see something it catches me...then a moment later method pops into my head.

The one "beginner" moment I had was a couple that asked to show me a card trick, and the girl started predicting suits and values without seeing the cards - until I saw under the table they were tapping feet. Got me for a second though, it was very clever that they had decided that ahead of time...stooges from my audience, hilarious.

Here is to experiencing more magical moments in our lives! We really are like Peter Pan, but less flamboyant - well some of us - anyhow, once we leave (learn magic) there is no going back.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
I love magic - I don't like saying getting fooled, because I don't like getting fooled.

Like one time in University, I set up one of those snappers (cap from a cap gun and a metal spring) under some Maxim Magazines - and went upstairs to my appartment. A hour later, my friends and I swore we heard it go off, so ran down to see the aftermath...but the books were still there...so stupidly, I lifted them to see...it went off and scared the hell out of me. I tricked myself. We laughed, but I didn't enjoy being the "fool".

aw!! c´mon!! is always nice to laugh at yourself sometimes...I think is a great quality and a indicator of good self-esteem

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results