Best Pass To Use

Dec 20, 2009
Australia
Hey,

I was doing some classic pass practice, and I was thinking. Under normal circumstances of you just wanting to control some cards to the top or bottom of the deck, which pass would be more suited to doing just that. So basically, what I'm trying to say is, once that I have gotten the classic pass down, should I bother learning the hermann pass and variations if all I want to do is control cards as quickly as possible. Thanks

Jan 16, 2010
which pass?

the spread pass has worked WONDERS for me. its super simple, effective, unnoticeable and its really fun to do. hope that helped.

Oct 29, 2009
Just around
the spread pass has worked WONDERS for me. its super simple, effective, unnoticeable and its really fun to do. hope that helped.
I agree. I still have work to do on mine, but I've performed it for quite a few people(guinea pigs...I mean...family) and they said they didn't see anything, and they're not the kind of family who his nice just because I'm their son. They're truthful to say the least:D VERY fun pass...

Cheers

Jan 16, 2010
i've been working on the spread pass for close to 5 months now, i do it alot in an ACR/ or sandwhich rountine. and ive gotten to the point where i feel guilty for using it. its just so practical and effective.

Jul 1, 2009
Austin,TX
Yeah the spread pass is really good. Everything is motivated. Like when you spread the cards to let the person pick a card. Return where they got it form and square the pack and bang its on top. I use the spread pass alot during my performances. I even have done it surronded during school and nobody said a thing. It takes months to get it smooth, but worth it.

Sep 1, 2007
The spread pass is a nice pass, however it does have its angle problems. It has a time and a place. IMO the best pass to learn is simply the classic pass. It seems to have the most possibilities in terms of times to use it while keeping the actions natural.

Here's what I've always told people who want to learn the pass to do:

Take a deck of cards, and practice the classic pass. My practice routine for the pass was this:

1- Do the pass slowly 30 times. Extremely slowly. Watching for any points at which the deck scrapes, any flicker points, any slight mis-steps. Iron out these kinks. Do it 30 times until you dont see any.

2- Do it again 30 times, but at medium speed. If you EVER slip up or hear a noise... start your count back at 1. You have to do 30 perfect passes to get to step 3.

3- Same as step 2, but at full speed.

4- Restart at 1, run the cycle again. Do this about twice a day.

Do this every day for a week. At the end of the week, add about 10-15 cards to your deck. Do this every week; adding cards until you're up to passing 2 full decks (without any noise or flashing). You're now ready to go.

It should be noted that after you've started adding cards to the deck, until you've reached the 2 deck mark DO NOT go back and use only 52 cards EVER to "see where you're at". This is working backwards. You want to make your pass better? Then keep going until youve gotten to 2 decks. Don't work backwards.

This may seem extreme to some of you, but I GUARANTEE you that if you do this, you'll see huge improvements on your pass. I constantly get compliments on my pass from magicians and this is the exact reason it is so smooth.

After you've got the classic pass down, start opening your fingers up as you do it, make it as fair as possible. Slowly add a riffle in there. Play with retaining the bottom card for an essentially angle proof pass.

tl;dr? You wouldn't have done what I told you to do anyways. Don't worry about it.

Cheers,
Lucas

Dec 20, 2009
Australia
Thanks guys. Right now, my classic pass is 2 or 3 weeks old and it is starting to come together for sure. I'll keep working on it as well as having a look at spread pass. Also, where can I find the spread pass? Which books, DvDs etc. Thanks!

Sep 1, 2007
all I want to do is control cards as quickly as possible. Thanks

Something to think about - control isn't about speed, its about indetectability. In the context of the pass and other controls with no external reality (controls which don't involve a physical cut or shuffle), it is often better to use cunning rather than speed to achieve your goal.

Tip over addition, Marlo's miracle move, bluff pass...all of these techniques aare not only simple to execute, but there's no angles to worry about and look very fair.

Not that the pass doesn't have its place, just some thoughts on priorities as they relate to this topic.

Cheers,
David.

Sep 20, 2009
Thanks guys. Right now, my classic pass is 2 or 3 weeks old and it is starting to come together for sure. I'll keep working on it as well as having a look at spread pass. Also, where can I find the spread pass? Which books, DvDs etc. Thanks!

Chad Nelson has a Handling of it on D&D on demand

it is a killer handling, if you tilt your hands down it's practically uncatchable.. but you have to work those angels out in a mirror and on camera. I've never been caught surrounded

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
I use the classic pass all the time and I don't have any problem with it, you can do it whenever you want ( you don't need a spread) and is really fast.

In my opinion the problem with sleights like the spread pass or the cascade control or things like that, is that most people expect a slegith or "something" right after you put their card in the deck, obviously if your sleight is pretty much flawless there isnt going to be a problem with that but otherwise.....

Anyway, I perform the classic pass completely surrounded and nobody catches me with that (of course im not like bringing a lot of attention to it im always talking :p)

So yeah, in my opinion the classic pass is the way to go.

Dec 16, 2009
Davenport Iowa
id say dont worry about what pass to use in what situation...this will only lead to frusteration and a lack of smoothness and confidence when you perform...pick one pass and stick with it....learn the other ones for practice but use one pass in performance...and if all else fails...do what works to get the cards controled...use card controls

Apr 23, 2010
The spread pass is a nice pass, however it does have its angle problems. It has a time and a place. IMO the best pass to learn is simply the classic pass. It seems to have the most possibilities in terms of times to use it while keeping the actions natural.

Here's what I've always told people who want to learn the pass to do:

Take a deck of cards, and practice the classic pass. My practice routine for the pass was this:

1- Do the pass slowly 30 times. Extremely slowly. Watching for any points at which the deck scrapes, any flicker points, any slight mis-steps. Iron out these kinks. Do it 30 times until you dont see any.

2- Do it again 30 times, but at medium speed. If you EVER slip up or hear a noise... start your count back at 1. You have to do 30 perfect passes to get to step 3.

3- Same as step 2, but at full speed.

4- Restart at 1, run the cycle again. Do this about twice a day.

Do this every day for a week. At the end of the week, add about 10-15 cards to your deck. Do this every week; adding cards until you're up to passing 2 full decks (without any noise or flashing). You're now ready to go.

It should be noted that after you've started adding cards to the deck, until you've reached the 2 deck mark DO NOT go back and use only 52 cards EVER to "see where you're at". This is working backwards. You want to make your pass better? Then keep going until youve gotten to 2 decks. Don't work backwards.

This may seem extreme to some of you, but I GUARANTEE you that if you do this, you'll see huge improvements on your pass. I constantly get compliments on my pass from magicians and this is the exact reason it is so smooth.

After you've got the classic pass down, start opening your fingers up as you do it, make it as fair as possible. Slowly add a riffle in there. Play with retaining the bottom card for an essentially angle proof pass.

tl;dr? You wouldn't have done what I told you to do anyways. Don't worry about it.

Cheers,
Lucas

Can we get a video of your pass? I would actually love to see what your iron hands can do.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
As you can probably gather, the pass is something like a deck of cards to card magicians -everyone has their preferred method. Mine are the Midnight Shift (agreed with Andy above) and the Distortion Pass, depending on the situation. To the bottom, I'll most likely use the Outjogged Hermann Shift.

Apr 26, 2010
...dribble pass and jiggle pass ere the best in my opinion, very deceptive,no need for misdirection,easy and convincing ...spread pass is angle sensesitive,pretty messy and needs misdirection classic pass is stiff ...cascade control has to much work

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results