Jerk

Sep 3, 2007
Say you are performing for a group of teenagers.

How do you incorporate jokes and tricks that poke fun at the spectators, without coming across as a complete jerk?

How do you show that you're just joking?

Aug 2, 2008
Cincinnati
I know it sounds stupid but make sure you're smiling. If you have a dry sense of humor and don't smile, its hard for people to understand you are joking with them. Smile and make eye contact and that should do the trick (pun intended)

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
My advice would be to know who you're performing for.
If you have to think about saying something and worrying how it will play, it's usually best to not say it.

If the remark is non threatening and you mean it as a joke, say it with a smile. Usually they'll laugh with you.
If you're using sarcasm, don't do it until you have talked to them for a bit and made a few jokes here and there.
Why?
Because they don't know you yet. Once you establish yourself as a funny guy, then you can play with sarcasm.

Just some thoughts, but what was it that you said to make them think your were a jerk?

Sep 3, 2007
Say you are performing for a group of teenagers.

How do you incorporate jokes and tricks that poke fun at the spectators, without coming across as a complete jerk?

How do you show that you're just joking?

Minus my last post. This is a little harsh. You have to realize that most of the teenagers are "in control." So, in order to perform for them you have to set the stage. You need to let them know that you are the guy, and coolio needs to quiet down. You can do this by having confidence when you approach them.

Peace.

Sep 3, 2007
We were messing around and just poking fun at each other so I told him I'd teach him a card trick and I did Gator Boots to him.

And also I'm just trying to avoid a bad situation by making sure my personality fits it.

Sep 3, 2007
We were messing around and just poking fun at each other so I told him I'd teach him a card trick and I did Gator Boots to him.

And also I'm just trying to avoid a bad situation by making sure my personality fits it.

You did Gator Boots!!! That is one trick that MUST fit your personality. Otherwise, it would just be stupid huh?

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York

Ughhhh, that was an (inside) joke. Only those who are part of it and know about it would laugh.
Total strangers have no idea what that is, so it wouldn't really seem funny to them. You would have to have a crazy personality when meeting them for the 1st time to pull that off and have them laugh about it.
Lol, - they called you a jerk?
If it were me, you'd be looking at a fat lip.:p

Sep 3, 2007
If it were me, you'd be looking at a fat lip.:p

Through said eyes? That would be a pretty big lip. The thing about Gator Boots is that no one really understands what Gator Boots means.

Could be boots that this guy salvaged off on alligator. Or, a Gator that attacked him and he knew Immediately how to trick that beast.

I doubt either one.

Peace.

Sep 3, 2007
Ok to clarify,

It was a friend that I've known since middle school. We aren't super close but we do mess around with each other.
And we were in Spanish.
For our final exam we had to teach a skill to the class in the form of an oral presentation using the command form.
So I told the class I was gonna teach them a magic trick, and I brought up my friend (he didn't know what was going on)

And I did Gator Boots to him..

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
You did Gator Boots in... class? for.... a presentation? For an exam???
How did that work out?... Wasn't your teacher just like "whats wrong with the kids I teach?"

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results