Palming Coins All Day Long

Jan 24, 2010
In the moment.
Its the only way to get a great looking Classic Palm right? I've been working on it for most of today and once you've forced it for a few hours its not all that bad. Still super difficult though, every now and again I'll try to actually use my fingers and it immediately fails. Screw trying to type with them yet. Just a side note I guess but I'm working toward ambidexterity, not that I'm all that great at it yet, I'm noticing though that my left hand is actually better at palming it. I even have more finger freedom.

My questions are... how exactly will my classic palm progress if I keep working on it like this? Like when would you guess I could start typing with them or wildly swinging my fingers? Or if you just want to post your particular experience learning it, that would help too. Also, is it called classic palm because there are a few different ways to palm a coin? Or just because its a classic?

Thanks,
Cory

Ah! I thought I was the only one who has tried this method before. Glad to know that there are others.

When I did it, it certainly has helped me a lot with my palming. Now, I never got to the point where I would type with my hands. The furthest I went was trying to write with them in the palm position. It feels more natural to me now, but my super sweaty hands limit my performance of the sleight.

And for your question, yes, there are many other methods to palming a coin. (Thumb palm, finger palm, etc.)

May 3, 2008
Just keep holding it in classic palm for extended period of time and practice placing it in classic palm and taking it out of classic palm repeatedly. That will help gain good muscle memory.

And practice a lot. I recommend taking a coin to school with you and practicing during class. It shouldn't be very distracting.

And one extra note, practice with half dollars or silver dollars. Those are the ideally sized coins to classic palm. Other coins are too small and will be a lot harder and make your hand look un-natural.

Jan 24, 2010
In the moment.
I'm guessing a finger palm is where you slip it in between your fingers and show your palm, right?

I didn't really think about loading it and unloading it, and that's a great point. I'm gonna start doing that. However I don't really have much interest learning how to do any sleights with bigger coins unless I absolutely have to. A lot of this is about dexterity and ease of use. I don't want to have to have my "special" coin to do a trick, ya know? I'd much rather learn to do all my sleights with quarters even if it is harder. The price I pay for doing things my way I guess =P

May 3, 2008
That actually isn't what a finger palm is. It's actually a bit too hard to explain over text. I HIGHLY reccommend buying Bobo's Modern Coin Magic. It's really cheap off of Amazon.com and it seems perfect for you because you are just beginning to learn magic and starting with learning your multiple types of palms (which is a great way to start by the way.) This book teaches literally more palms than you're going to know what to do with. It's really great.

Jan 24, 2010
In the moment.
After reading through the forum before I became a member one thing was pretty apparent. I'm not gonna get anywhere fast without Bobos Modern Coin Magic, so I'm working on it and should have it any day now. Its awesome that it shows a bunch of different palms, I was worried it might have a bunch of gimmick stuff or stuff where I have to use a hanky. Both of which I don't have much interest in.

I was actually trying to muscle pass before I ever thought about palming. They are super similar, I want to be able to muscle pass really well so I guess I'm on the right track.

Dammit though I wish I could just classic palm already. I go to do a trick and as soon as I start they are already looking at the suspect hand. It makes me just want to throw the quarter at them!

May 3, 2008
Learn the muscle pass. Once you can muscle pass palming a coin is nothing.
That's a bit backwards. You should know how to classic palm before you attempt to Muscle Pass. Why run before you can walk?
After reading through the forum before I became a member one thing was pretty apparent. I'm not gonna get anywhere fast without Bobos Modern Coin Magic, so I'm working on it and should have it any day now. Its awesome that it shows a bunch of different palms, I was worried it might have a bunch of gimmick stuff or stuff where I have to use a hanky. Both of which I don't have much interest in.

I was actually trying to muscle pass before I ever thought about palming. They are super similar, I want to be able to muscle pass really well so I guess I'm on the right track.

Dammit though I wish I could just classic palm already. I go to do a trick and as soon as I start they are already looking at the suspect hand. It makes me just want to throw the quarter at them!

First off, I recommend looking for a lot of Kennedy Half Dollars. Those are the coins that you will want to practice your coin magic with. Quarters are too small and classic palming them will look very unnatural because you have to bend your hand far too much. I'd say look at getting about 5 or 6.

Also, did you say you already have Bobo's? How did you get it that fast?

Aug 23, 2008
I used to practice the classic palm by palming a coin all day. I think when we first start learning coin magic, it's difficult because we aren't used to having coins in our hands. If you think about it, most of the time when people actually do take coins in their hands is when they're about to buy something or just removing spare change from the pockets. Doing coin magic requires you do feel comfortable with a coin in all sorts of positions in your hand. So i guess my advice to anyone learning coin magic, is to feel comfortable holding a coin in your hand...and as I mentioned, classic palming a coin all day is one of the best ways out there in my opinion. The longer you keep it there, the more your hands will get used to that position, you will also eventually feel the comfort of having a coin there which leads to that natural relaxed look of your hands while classic palming. I did this for like a week. Doing everything I normally do with a coin in classic palm. Keep practicing, its well worth it!

May 6, 2009
The classic palm is one of those things that take YEARS, and I mean like 10+ years to really master.

I've been practicing the classic palm now for 2 years, consistently. It is good. It is not "great". I can type with a coin in classic palm (having a silver dollar palmed as i type this), among other things but cannot do a coin roll while palming a coin. The muscle pass should help too, but make sure you already have a solid classic palm. David roth shows in his videos his ability to classic palm a coin and lay his hand flat on a table. You can do this and the coin gets trapped beneath the skin and you can lay your hand flat, I can do this OK but it is merely to show that classic palming shouldn't impede your magic, you can move your hand freely. Practicing the classic palm while typing is great, and also try and hold a coin in classic palm everywhrere you go.

May 3, 2008
The classic palm is one of those things that take YEARS, and I mean like 10+ years to really master.

I've been practicing the classic palm now for 2 years, consistently. It is good. It is not "great". I can type with a coin in classic palm (having a silver dollar palmed as i type this), among other things but cannot do a coin roll while palming a coin. The muscle pass should help too, but make sure you already have a solid classic palm. David roth shows in his videos his ability to classic palm a coin and lay his hand flat on a table. You can do this and the coin gets trapped beneath the skin and you can lay your hand flat, I can do this OK but it is merely to show that classic palming shouldn't impede your magic, you can move your hand freely. Practicing the classic palm while typing is great, and also try and hold a coin in classic palm everywhrere you go.

10 years? That's not really true at all. I'd say I've mastered the Classic Palm and I learned it about 2 years ago. I only REALLY started practicing it about one year ago.

Oct 11, 2007
Hey man don't worry about it. It'll get much easier. JUst make sure that you have a coin that fits your hand. Unless you have reallllly tiny hands, don't not use a quarter. I've been doing this for so long that I literally forget they're there and sometimes I raise my hand in class with a coin still palmed...oops.

Dude keep it up, I promise you that it'll get much easier. It's just like anything else: it takes time.

Keep on keepin' on,

emagician:cool:

Jan 24, 2010
In the moment.
That would be pretty sweet to be able to place my hand flat on a table palming. I don't think I'll have any problem sticking with learning this, I'm good at stuff that's passive. Its kinda why I turned to sleights in the 1st place. You can do them anytime, anywhere.

I got Bobo's! I actually just now got it, it wasn't that hard I just bought it as an ebook. I must say I am very impressed. The 1st chapter alone literally is too many palming techs to shake a stick at. So I'd say I finally have some stuff to really sit down and learn.

10 years? Ick. I get that my magic will take a while to learn but that's quite a while for just one basic. Maybe that's just how long it took to get it while having everything else thats in your arsenal? Anyway I have a ton of palms to learn now so I'm gonna get on it. I'll be sure to let everyone know how I'm feeling about it as I go.

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
10 years? That's not really true at all. I'd say I've mastered the Classic Palm and I learned it about 2 years ago. I only REALLY started practicing it about one year ago.

depends on your perception of mastery. I, personally, don't think it's possible to master any skillset, but I define mastering a skill differently to ways other people do.

May 6, 2009
depends on your perception of mastery. I, personally, don't think it's possible to master any skillset, but I define mastering a skill differently to ways other people do.

What I meant' was 10 years + to truly master it, to get it as good as david roth or david stone. Some people learn at different rates, some people will pick it up faster and for some reason some people it always looks like they're 'squeezing oranges' and they cannot classic palm well ever, I'm not sure why this happens but it does to certain people.

Alright Chilluns, I guess I'll jump on in here!

Fishsticks is right to a point. True mastery at something usually implies as close to perfection in context to what you are focused on. At that rate, it will take a life time or two to master the classic palm. Mastery means no mistakes, which as a result, means that you cannot fumble or drop a coin from palm... EVER! Roth, Stone, and the other greats still drop coins; thus, no one has yet to perfect their palm.

Penguincdude, in two years your palm may have reached an acceptably proficient level, but I will be willing to cut my right hand off if you are telling me it is mastered in this time. I will, however, eat my words and write an appology if you allow for sufficient evidence to prove me wrong. No disrespect there, but it is crucial to our art that we are rational with ourselves and our claims, allowing us to then figure ways to better our selves. I would invite you to post a videe/picture of your palm so that we may all learn together how to further improve what we believe to be already perfect (I use that term loosely).

Now to address Cory the OP. You have the right idea. Hold a coin in palm whenever possible. BUT, that is not all that you will need to do in order to achieve proficiency in palming. You must also, periodically, check on the classic palmed coin. Make sure it is the right place and constantly critique the hand position until it is correct (meaning as natural as possible). Once the coin is in the correct place, hold it there for extended periods of time to allow muscle memory time to develop. Ambidextrous ability in the palm is not only important, without proficiency in both hands, you have an inapplicable palm when it comes to actual routining. You must be able to palm proficiently in both hands before even thinking about moving onto more advanced sleights in our field. That is an important point that all seem to over look.

Next thing, the Muscle Pass was mentioned. It was also mentioned in such a way, that you should disregard the entire post. Pretend it was never even posted, as distractions such as attempting a muscle pass will in actuality, hinder your ability to palm. It will absolutely destroy it! True success and proficiency with the Muscle Pass requires not only a great understanding in the mechanics of a classic palm, but the ability to palm a coin with the strength and precision to be able to shoot it several inches upward in a non-spinning, flat manner to an awaiting palm above.

Hope this clears up any confusions among many of you, and offers some helpful tips and insight to allow you all to improve your coin magic from all angles.

Please, please do not hesitate to PM me or post any questions. I am more than happy to answer all that may arise.

All the best,
-Chase

Reactions: RonM3
May 6, 2009
Great reply chase! That's exactly what I mean, I'm proficient in the classic palm but am far from mastering it.

I will post a picture of my hand once the batteries are charged in my camera. It is OK, it looks good in motion. Here's one of my videos where I utilized the classic palm:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4Hk06smPBk
I think also its important to relax the hand, often times I am guilty of keeping the fingers straight, the hand should rest at the side with slightly curled fingers as a hand with nothing in it would be.

Jan 24, 2010
In the moment.
Chase that was an awesome post.

I hear a lot that when I have just learned something I shouldn't be trying to make it perfect though. So I guess my question to you is if I'm just now learning the classic palm, when should I start giving myself less slack? When I'm proficient enough to hold my coins doing most household activities? Or once I can actually hold it in there a whole day? The reason I picked up sleight of hand in the first place was to get some skills to practice with both hands. I'm trying to become Penwald Ambidextrous, so I will definitely be doing sleights with both hands.

Thanks again for the very informative post.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results