T11 members:: What magic effects are you performing?

Nov 7, 2009
Ultimate transpo
double lift change to there card
card to mouth
card force 'mindread'
stealth pen
arm twist
and spongeballs but im prob gonna stop because i dont like using things that people arnt familiar with.

Jan 31, 2010
Holland
T11 members What magic effects are you performing

Tell the truth..... coughZerocough

I real life im quiet, I like to read most of its manga, and my favorite thing is the computer. I really dont like noise, and I could live without school. Even though I hate school, im honor role.

What about you guys/ girls? what are you like?

Feb 5, 2010
Normally on a given day i'll perform

Slink (my version and original)
Pressure (my version)
Control
X Finger
Torn and Restored Rubber Band
Fallen
Stigmata
Missing Link
Fresh Scent
Infusion (only if im at a friends house or a party)
Sinful (again at a party or if i buy a can of soda just to do the trick)
Stop

I tend to stay away from card tricks. What i've seen is when you pull out cards some people will be skeptical. But if you can do it will borrowed objects. or if someone hands me there deck of cards ill do a card trick. So i tend to travel light. Only a few rubber bands (which i have on my wrists), a pen, a balloon, and tic tacs.

Nov 8, 2007
What i've seen is when you pull out cards some people will be skeptical... So i tend to travel light. Only a few rubber bands (which i have on my wrists), a pen, a balloon, and tic tacs.

So people are skeptical of you pulling a deck of cards out of your pocket but not a balloon? Hmm. If you can introduce a balloon I'm sure you can introduce a deck of cards. Perhaps you just haven't found the right approach to introducing the cards into your performance yet. I'm sure you could find something that could work for you. If you wanted to start carrying cards, I mean.

Feb 5, 2010
So people are skeptical of you pulling a deck of cards out of your pocket but not a balloon? Hmm. If you can introduce a balloon I'm sure you can introduce a deck of cards. Perhaps you just haven't found the right approach to introducing the cards into your performance yet. I'm sure you could find something that could work for you. If you wanted to start carrying cards, I mean.

Ive never had anyone become skeptical of me with a balloon. Its a shock to me too. My guess on why the cards make a person skeptical is there are so many card tricks. And when the magician pulls out cards people expect a card trick. And they tend to watch closer when someone is handling cards.
But if someone lets me borrow a deck of cards then ill do card tricks.

this is my first post here, but i got into magic a month or two ago, and ive been using the nestorizer a bit, and my friend made me the static gimmick today, but with some fooling around, i realized you can do "static" using the nestorizer, and it looks 100% the same

Aug 31, 2007
Lacey,Washington
Update for my list..

Chicago Opener. Just came across it on Matthew Dowden's Party Animals..

I'm practicing around with it and performed it 5 times in a day. God what a beautiful trick. With barely any sleight of hand.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I don't carry around anything besides maybe a Dollar bill that is made for a tipless bill switch. Other than that, If I am at somebodies house. Then I'll borrow a deck. Other than that I'd probably just do palm reading and not have to carry anything on me at all.

I don't like the idea of having to carry around a crap ton of gimmicks or effects on me. You are not a magician if you do that, you're Inspector Gadget and you end up looking like a complete tool and a dork. besides WHO walks around with a deck of cards in their pocket all day long? I can understand if you are at a strolling or restaurant gig. But in every day life? Come on man. Think like a normal person and not like a magician.

Jun 6, 2010
Nashville, TN
I do::

Biddle Trick
Stigmata
Oil & Water
Timeline 2.0
Identity
Sandwich Effects
Two Card Monte
Triumph
Card To Mouth
Pressure(I usually start with this)
BeLIEve
GPS
and many more I can't think of right now

May 15, 2010
With Gerard Way
1. A french kiss type transpo
2. Pyro Perception
3. An inversion routine similar to Chris Kenner's Perversion
4. Conspiracy of Four (my favorite card trick)
5. A prediction card trick with the four kings
6. My one coin routine
7. Crazy mans handcuffs
8. Slink
9. Missing Link with my own ending
10. Muscle pass
11. Torn

I find that a variety of tricks gives you a more interesting set.

Jun 29, 2009
Am i the only one?

I love the first trick I ever learned that looked magical. --> Jumping Gemini. Anyone else use t'his. It's usually my opener and it's a classic. I let people know it's the trick that made me want to perform magic.....

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I don't carry around anything besides maybe a Dollar bill that is made for a tipless bill switch. Other than that, If I am at somebodies house. Then I'll borrow a deck. Other than that I'd probably just do palm reading and not have to carry anything on me at all.

I don't like the idea of having to carry around a crap ton of gimmicks or effects on me. You are not a magician if you do that, you're Inspector Gadget and you end up looking like a complete tool and a dork. besides WHO walks around with a deck of cards in their pocket all day long? I can understand if you are at a strolling or restaurant gig. But in every day life? Come on man. Think like a normal person and not like a magician.

I agree. I limit my props as much as possible. I currently carry around with me a set of props that include 12 index cards, 8 coin envelopes, and a pen, and I can perform for more than an hour with these if need be. I can also borrow other things like more paper, cards, etc.

Since I primarily prefer to perform in intimate and spontaneous situations, I am extremely picky with my material. Not only the quality but specifically the circumstances in which I can perform it; what I require, and how it suits my performing preferences. However good something is, if it doesn't fit that, I don't perform it. I hate having too many things in my pockets. If I find it a chore to carry something around (eg a certain prop, or a gimmick) every time I go out, "just in case", I won't, and I won't perform it.

I love the first trick I ever learned that looked magical. --> Jumping Gemini. Anyone else use t'his. It's usually my opener and it's a classic. I let people know it's the trick that made me want to perform magic.....

Yep, I used to perform this. It's a great trick.

I find that a variety of tricks gives you a more interesting set.

MalibuARMY,

A thought, if I may offer it. This is not intended in any way as offensive, etc.

What do your audiences find interesting - your tricks, or you?

I've noted that you have a wide range of coin, card, rubber band, etc., tricks.

Whilst there is certainly something to be said for using a range of items - in some circumstances more than others - the implication of what you said is that variety of props, and your tricks, are what is interesting. Looking at guys who focus primarily on cards, guys like Lennart Green come to mind - it is the performer that is interesting, not the material... Of course, you can't perform similar pick a card tricks all night. Nonetheless, it's worth asking the reason behind what you wrote.

Tricks and props are not inherently interesting - people are.

I do::

Biddle Trick
Stigmata
Oil & Water
Timeline 2.0
Identity
Sandwich Effects
Two Card Monte
Triumph
Card To Mouth
Pressure(I usually start with this)
BeLIEve
GPS
and many more I can't think of right now

Aaron:

Not to pick on you - just that I admittedly haven't read through this entire thread, what people perform doesn't terribly interest me.

But, if you can't think of the "many more", I suggest you never perform them again. If you can't think of them on the spot, then you obviously don't care much for them. If you don't care, neither will your audiences. It will show. And if you did care, if they were your best or favourite tricks, then you would remember them. I would also suggest that they are almost certainly out of practice - this is another reason why you can't name them. Sleights, once learned, are not forever ingrained. The story of the young magician with 100 tricks, and the profession with 3 or 4, comes to mind. I went through a culling process of my material some months ago simply by eliminating those tricks that I could not name off the top of my head, or else going to practice them heavily.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Another thing I'd suggest is only practicing what you want to perform. Also maybe not grouping your effects together too often. Less is more. They'll be more likely to remember YOU and the 2 to 4 good effects that you did. Rather than the 8-9 you did "decently".

This also boils down to human memory. People remember things in 3's better than they do anything else. Which is why when you write down somebodies phone number. You don't go 5566546658 or whatever. You usually do it like 556-654-1234. I forgot the actual term for that, but hey, if it seems to work for phone numbers pretty easily. It should also work with performing effects and possibly learning them.

Jun 6, 2010
Nashville, TN
Aaron:

Not to pick on you - just that I admittedly haven't read through this entire thread, what people perform doesn't terribly interest me.

But, if you can't think of the "many more", I suggest you never perform them again. If you can't think of them on the spot, then you obviously don't care much for them. If you don't care, neither will your audiences. It will show. And if you did care, if they were your best or favourite tricks, then you would remember them. I would also suggest that they are almost certainly out of practice - this is another reason why you can't name them. Sleights, once learned, are not forever ingrained. The story of the young magician with 100 tricks, and the profession with 3 or 4, comes to mind. I went through a culling process of my material some months ago simply by eliminating those tricks that I could not name off the top of my head, or else going to practice them heavily.

Now that I think about it, you're kind of right. But I don't just "eliminate" the tricks I don't perform as often as others. And I do care but some are more appealing and crowd pleasing than others. So I never really lose interest in the tricks that I just couldn't think of off the top of my head, they're just not the ones I perform as much as others, so they aren't the first ones to pop up into my mind. And I almost always go back to older tricks to practice them and find out what I need to change about the performance that the audience didn't like.

Sorry if I sound angry or offended but I actually say things nicer than when I type. I guess thats what smileys are for. :D:D:D:D

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Another thing I'd suggest is only practicing what you want to perform. Also maybe not grouping your effects together too often. Less is more. They'll be more likely to remember YOU and the 2 to 4 good effects that you did. Rather than the 8-9 you did "decently".

This also boils down to human memory. People remember things in 3's better than they do anything else. Which is why when you write down somebodies phone number. You don't go 5566546658 or whatever. You usually do it like 556-654-1234. I forgot the actual term for that, but hey, if it seems to work for phone numbers pretty easily. It should also work with performing effects and possibly learning them.

Randy, I believe the term you're looking for is "Chunking".

Now that I think about it, you're kind of right. But I don't just "eliminate" the tricks I don't perform as often as others. And I do care but some are more appealing and crowd pleasing than others. So I never really lose interest in the tricks that I just couldn't think of off the top of my head, they're just not the ones I perform as much as others, so they aren't the first ones to pop up into my mind. And I almost always go back to older tricks to practice them and find out what I need to change about the performance that the audience didn't like.

Sorry if I sound angry or offended but I actually say things nicer than when I type. I guess thats what smileys are for. :D:D

Not at all Aaron. Glad for you to offer your thoughts, and glad I could provoke some thoughts. You know how you think better than anyone else, so do it whatever way suits you. :)

Aug 31, 2007
Lacey,Washington
Quoted for truth. I discovered it through Daryl, and figured it out, but still.

Ian
Yeah lookng at it it's a simple as hell trick. If you performed it to magicians of course they would know the method. But looking at it from a laymen's P.O.V. Damn man..such a hard hitter. Plus with added patter it makes the card trick fun and memorable.

Matthew Dowden uses this really fun patter.

He leans in and whispers and looks around

And says that there are spies everywhere and that he can get kicked out of the magic castle for telling them this....he says that the card they chose was really easy to find because (he glances around)....he uses marked cards. ..Now take a look...(he spreads) if you look under the right lighting..you can see the card. There is a big X on a different colored back that is the chosen card.

He then places the card on the spectators hands and has another card chosen.......yadayada.

You see where I am going with this? It shouldn't be about how easy you could figure out about the trick but about how fun you can make it for an audience and when that happens...you make it fun. They won't care about how it is done.. They will remember how powerful, entertaining, and fun it was.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results