Card Revelation without the card?

Nov 30, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Im looking for a way to reveal a chosen card, without having to show the card itself. I've altered the routine I use it in, and my old method won't fit.

The trick is have the spectator pull out a card, sign it, replace it back in the middle, hand them the deck to shuffle. Now at this point I need a reveal; either them with the deck in their hands or something I can do hands off. I'm open to any suggestions or ideas, it doesn't have to be with the deck. After the cards is revealed and confirmed, I show my left hand empty, pull out my wallet, and show their signed card in my wallet that has been in my pocket.

Any ideas, concepts, or material to look at would be greatly appreciated.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
The end result is signed card in wallet?

That kind of ending will kill any presentation I was thinking of.

You could do a 'memory demonstration'. Pretend to memorize the entire deck in its order, force a selection (or peek...or something) and be able to run through the deck and see which one is missing or out of place.

Just psychic revelation, start with color, then suit, then the value.

The problem is anything 'hands off' ends up sketchy with the kicker ending you have. It just doesn't fit with anything I can think of, at least not off the top of my head.

Dec 5, 2009
You could do something like in the "Ishkabibble Sandwich"(sp?) where a card pops up from the top of the deck and then jumps between the two kings. Everyone just assumes thaat hte card that pops up is the chosen card. You could think along those lines.

Jesse

Nov 30, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Read their mind, then tell them you had made a note in case you failed and take out your wallet ?

Hmmm, that might be something I touch on in my presentation. Good idea.

The end result is signed card in wallet?

That kind of ending will kill any presentation I was thinking of.

You could do a 'memory demonstration'. Pretend to memorize the entire deck in its order, force a selection (or peek...or something) and be able to run through the deck and see which one is missing or out of place.

Just psychic revelation, start with color, then suit, then the value.

The problem is anything 'hands off' ends up sketchy with the kicker ending you have. It just doesn't fit with anything I can think of, at least not off the top of my head.

What do you mean it ends up "sketchy" with the ending?

You could do something like in the "Ishkabibble Sandwich"(sp?) where a card pops up from the top of the deck and then jumps between the two kings. Everyone just assumes thaat hte card that pops up is the chosen card. You could think along those lines.

Jesse

The problem with that is at the point in the effect when I need to reveal the card, I have it in palm. So I'm somewhat limited on what I can do with my hands.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
[R.C];290152 said:
What do you mean it ends up "sketchy" with the ending?

Well, let me put it this way.

If a psychic reads your mind. And then pulls out a sheet of paper with information written about you on it, would it be impressive?

If you reveal a selected card through any means other than a production of the card, and then you produce the card, it kind of kills the previous effect. It's like losing a card and playing magician in distress just so you can pull a giant version of their card out from your jacket...it makes the card selection seem less fair.

Logically if you have a card selected, even just peeked, and then go through the motions of finding out what it was without a visual production. Mind reading or some other hands off type of thing, and they think you read their mind, then you show them it was in your wallet...even though they have no idea how it got there, it still got there, and you probably had some control over it, so the mind reading is dismissed as you seeing the card before you put it there.

Card to wallet is a strong effect. I love it and use it. But I don't go through the motions of another effect just to reveal I can also get it to my wallet.

Do you kind of understand now?

In the context of a routine (like the ishkabibble sandwich) where you are producing the card in unusual ways then you show the card, let them put it in and shuffle, and in the process pull your wallet out, then it becomes a better effect.

You can always palm the card after you've done a few things with their card. Just a few thoughts, you can PM me if you want a clearer explanation.

Nov 30, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Well, let me put it this way.

If a psychic reads your mind. And then pulls out a sheet of paper with information written about you on it, would it be impressive?

If you reveal a selected card through any means other than a production of the card, and then you produce the card, it kind of kills the previous effect. It's like losing a card and playing magician in distress just so you can pull a giant version of their card out from your jacket...it makes the card selection seem less fair.

Logically if you have a card selected, even just peeked, and then go through the motions of finding out what it was without a visual production. Mind reading or some other hands off type of thing, and they think you read their mind, then you show them it was in your wallet...even though they have no idea how it got there, it still got there, and you probably had some control over it, so the mind reading is dismissed as you seeing the card before you put it there.

Card to wallet is a strong effect. I love it and use it. But I don't go through the motions of another effect just to reveal I can also get it to my wallet.

Do you kind of understand now?

In the context of a routine (like the ishkabibble sandwich) where you are producing the card in unusual ways then you show the card, let them put it in and shuffle, and in the process pull your wallet out, then it becomes a better effect.

You can always palm the card after you've done a few things with their card. Just a few thoughts, you can PM me if you want a clearer explanation.

Yeah, I understand what you mean now. The physical reveal belittles the mental reveal. The original way I had the effect was more along of the lines of a prediction style effect, in the sense that in the end my goal was to make the spectator wonder if the card they saw was ever actually in the deck. It wasn't signed, but now I see that the lack of the signature was what allowed them to believe it was never in the deck in the first place.

I'll probably stick with the original version, as it didn't have both reveals.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
[R.C];290165 said:
Yeah, I understand what you mean now. The physical reveal belittles the mental reveal. The original way I had the effect was more along of the lines of a prediction style effect, in the sense that in the end my goal was to make the spectator wonder if the card they saw was ever actually in the deck. It wasn't signed, but now I see that the lack of the signature was what allowed them to believe it was never in the deck in the first place.

I'll probably stick with the original version, as it didn't have both reveals.

Only here to help. It really is a great effect without the signature.

Just make sure they don't second guess seeing it, they have to be 100% sure that they saw whatever card it was they saw.

Mar 26, 2009
Arizona
Definitely check out the "Extractor" from alakazam magic. its exactly what you are looking for. runs about $75 at vanishinginc.

for an impromtu version, the steve draun fan glimpse is a great way to glimpse a card and make a prediction.

i do a version where i have them shuffle, remove the card they want and sign it. I take back the ddeck and fan it, then have them put their card into the fan. I casually adjust the card with my right hand, but use my left pinky to crimp the corner of their card underneath the fan. then i very fairly square up and give them the deck to shuffle. I get the deck back, then get the card back to the top, flip the deck face up and ask them to think of their card as I spread it, but just before the spread, as I ask them to think, I mercury fold the card. It can be very fairly hidden behind the last card, and palm off the card as i put the deck down, using my empty hand to get the wallet (i use Mesika's). THen its just a simple load and reveal.

This is my version of the signed card to wallet, and i get good reactions because of the fairness of them shuffling immediately after you square up, and since your not stealing the card out when they shuffle, u can clearly (but subtly) show your hands empty. Sometimes I use this as the end to an ACR, or just by itself.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I get the deck back, then get the card back to the top, flip the deck face up and ask them to think of their card as I spread it, but just before the spread, as I ask them to think, I mercury fold the card. It can be very fairly hidden behind the last card, and palm off the card as i put the deck down, using my empty hand to get the wallet (i use Mesika's). THen its just a simple load and reveal.

This is my version of the signed card to wallet, and i get good reactions because of the fairness of them shuffling immediately after you square up, and since your not stealing the card out when they shuffle, u can clearly (but subtly) show your hands empty. Sometimes I use this as the end to an ACR, or just by itself.

Just a thought, and this is one most laymen won't come to, but to the wrong audience this is a possible effect. Finding a signed card in a spread isn't rocket science (to laymen) and they will assume what they may with the wallet load.

If it works, I can't argue with it, but the spread (unless you're showing it's vanished, perfectly reasonable) just doesn't do justice. Just like in his version signing the card wasn't helping the effect, it was actually harming it.

His new (which was old) version is actually stronger without the signature. ACR's and most card to wallets are stronger with signatures, but in the case of what he wants the effect to be, it doesn't help.

The extractor isn't all it's cracked up to be from what I hear, again to each their own.

I will say that I also use the crimp you just described, it's wonderful.

Mar 26, 2009
Arizona
i DO use the spread to show its vanished. and i own the extractor and its AWESOME i dont know what people are *****ing about. It may be a little pricey but definitely worth it

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results