Your "arsenal" for a party...

Jan 16, 2010
very broad topic. how longs the party, how many ppl, is it close up or stage?? if you could be more specific it would be greatly appreciated

Gig or friends asking for something?

If a gig then basically i would do my act. And if my friends would ask to see something i would ignore it or laugh at it since i never kind of do stuff at partys using improv. Sometimes but not too much.

Hypothetically if i were to be a guy who was asked to do something and i was in the mood for it i would do Nod to Pocke****ch and probably a simple one ahead type of effect or a blindfold routine.

Mikk.

Jan 16, 2010
Well, a close up with about 35-30 people ... what would you bring ?

2 decks one red one blue
one extra red deck
2 double backers
2 sharpies
gypsy thread
wayne houchins thread
double stick tape.
2 loops
static gimmick
muscle pass coin. (a big one )
pick pocket trick from AOA dvds
4 elastic bands
2 bills
1 ziploc bag for witness
panic aaron fisher
3 balloons

lol the list is literally endless withe those props you can do a ton of routines

Last edited by a moderator:
May 31, 2008
Balloons
Rubber Bands
Quarters
Three Decks of Cards (One Red, One Blue, and one for signing and ripping)
Redline
Sharpie

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
If it was a casual thing I would not really bring anything with me at all. And all the material that I would perform would be things that are not only organic in nature but also real. Things like muscle reading little hypnosis demonstrations Prevaricator, are all quite high on my list. Aswell as things that should not be named.

May 3, 2008
Balloons, half dollars, a few packs of cards, invisible deck, Strip Gimmick, WOW Gimmick. That's just a few but I could entertain for hours with that.

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
Im assuming this isnt a formal party where Im expected to perform.
So..
A deck of cards at most, but 50% of the time nothing.
There are usually bits and pieces at the place which I can sleeve or vanish when the moment comes

*note. this is what i would do if it were just a party with friends or family, if it were a paying gig, a lot of this would be different.*

i always have a deck on me, be it going to a party or not. i always make sure i have at least one double in the deck. depending on the party ill set myself up with Witness, Twilight Angels and Extraordinary Proof (from True Astonishments). A lot of my effects don't really require a lot of gimmicks or set up. I do a few D:M effects and some D:G Symphony work as well. Every so often i'll pull out Pressure, and I always like to do the Human Blockhead if the group of people is right for it. I rarely have any "set" pieces that i always do, aside from those i listed earlier, I enjoy mixing it up whenever I go out.

Deck of cards and a couple of duplicates for card to shoe/ transpos etc. I pretty much only do cards anyway.

To be honest, I more often than not refuse to perform if people ask me (which is nearly every party/dinner I go to). I'm not a performing monkey, I want people to appreciate what I do and i want it to be special when I do perform.

Plus, if I don't feel like it then it'll just be rubbish anyway.

But yeah, cards is all I need.

Rev

Sep 6, 2009
Cincinnati
Maybe a thumbtip loaded with a 50 for a bill change. That's probably all. I'd just borrow stuff for everything else. (If you think that sounds impossible then you've never seen Greg Wilsonand Jay Sankey's stuff.):D

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Same. I'm always looking for a place to perform healed and sealed... ;)

Tell me about it, parties are about the only place I can ever justify the beauty that is refilling an empty can with no funny movements.

There are usually cards at parties that I go to, so I might pick those up as well, if not a coin trick is usually good fun (quarters are abundant if people are playing)

I might do some non-magical tricks too, depending on what's around. If I have my best friend there we could also declare a dance-off to entertain the party. 1-on-1 we're equal...2 v 2 we're almost unbeaten. Our friends bested us once, but we were stunned by their speed and imagination...we had to concede.

As for What I would perform with cards, anything from my repertoire that is polished and entertaining or something that is currently being worked on hardcore (that sounds so bad) like right now I'm working on a few things, but the big one would be Cards Across. I'm trying to work out a few presentations that are all about the same (one safe for families, one the same method only using jokes that cater to adult audiences).

So That's about it.

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
First post man...

touche
but that can be interpreted a few ways.
1. You are asked to perform before hand. Like a gig.
2. You get to the party and someone is like "HEY YOU PERFORM!"
but i guess the what will you bring part makes it the... 1... but ah well... its hard to explain a gig anyways.
there is also a big difference between formal and casual parties. venue, audience, occasion, etc.

Nov 8, 2007
touche
but that can be interpreted a few ways.
1. You are asked to perform before hand. Like a gig.
2. You get to the party and someone is like "HEY YOU PERFORM!"
but i guess the what will you bring part makes it the... 1... but ah well... its hard to explain a gig anyways.
there is also a big difference between formal and casual parties. venue, audience, occasion, etc.

I thought it too vague also. It threw me off as well. I still don't understand which it was referring to either.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results