An interesting situation...

Jul 13, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
Okay so today i was performing for a group of random people at school. I had one card selected, returned and was ready for a double undercut when the guy who picked the card took the deck away from me, shuffled it and said "Now try to find my card". I wasn't pissed at all because for me it was more like a challenge from someone else. I didn't finish the trick because it was dead at this point, so i started another one ready for anything from the heckler.

So, what would you do if you had a situation like this one, there's a heckler among the audience who wants to shuffle your cards, you have no idea what the card is, and there are people 180 degrees around you, so no palming ....

Jun 1, 2009
That sucks he did that, but good job not getting worked up.

If they want to shuffle, try and do a quick peek- shuffle the card to the top or bottom and peek it. Then hand the deck out.

And its possible to palm when surrounded.
1. Get card to top.
2. *looks up* "did everyone see the card?" *murmurs of agreement among audience
3. *palms card while people are looking around*
4. *hand deck out* "Ok, go ahead and shuffle then"

to keep the card conceled, place your hand on your side (like grasping the waist, not sure how to explain it) or down at your side causally as you draw attention to the specator and deck.
When you get the deck back.
1. *looks up* "Everyone agree its a fair shuffle?"
2. during murmers of agreement-*replaces card* "Good, so here we go..."
3. continue effect.

Thats what just came to mind/kinda what I do.

I hope this helps.

Oct 29, 2009
Just around
First off, good for you you kept your cool.

Ummmm, anyway, palm the card. I don't think you should have problems palming even when your surrounded 180 degrees. Just use misdirection. A big movement with your hands (pointing, pushing up sleeves, ect.) using a one handed top palm and your good to go. Even a two handed method off the top of the deck would probably be fine.

I see though, that palming a card would have been tough since you hadn't even finished your double undercut. At that point, you should've just said something like, "Hey man, do you want to see some magic or not. I'm not gonna perform if you keep interrupting." Take the cards back and have someone select a card again.

Either that, or grab the cards back and say "Geez, watch it! You bent the cards all up!" (Say it while spreading through the deck face up and looking at them with concern) then cull the card to the top.

Anyway, hope you find something useful in all that.

Cheers

This is a situation you have to prepare for. Bottom line is you have to pull off a steal. There are ways that you can steal a card compleatly surrounded, I use my own method I created and it works very effectivly. This is a subject that comes around often for magicians, as I use my steal in this situation I am not sure if I will be much help here. If for some reason I can't perform my steal or I don't feel comfortable trying to pull it off, I use patter to give misdirection to where I can control the card to a position I can steal it. I may go along the ways of "why the spectator wants to shufflle the cards in the first place, that they feel that a magician has some prowess over where the card will end up," this seems effective for me as the spectator will be sure that the card is lost in the deck. Then at any point I can pull the card from a pocket of so forth. Hopefully I have been a bit of help, if you need a bit more info feel free to pm me.

Aug 25, 2008
Needs of the Corps
Until you learn to handle situations like this, stick to doing something I and many other magicians swear by. FORCE EVERY CARD. If you miss the force (assuming you're doing a classic) you still have a key you can cull under the spread and have them replace their card anywhere. If you don't want to force a least glimpse it as soon as it's returned. Sometimes i use the line, "OK now put the card back, face down, not face up like this one guy, yeah he was wasted, hahaha." Ok now you've got more than enough laughter going on to control. All you got to do is take heat off the deck and have some fun. Loosen up a bit and act like you dont care about the card at all. With high school magic, you got to be ready for anything, and we've all paid our dues, trust me. Hope at least some of this helps and opens your mind up to other opportunities besides palming and some of the other stuff said here.

Sep 3, 2007
Okay so today i was performing for a group of random people at school. I had one card selected, returned and was ready for a double undercut when the guy who picked the card took the deck away from me, shuffled it and said "Now try to find my card". I wasn't pissed at all because for me it was more like a challenge from someone else. I didn't finish the trick because it was dead at this point, so i started another one ready for anything from the heckler.

So, what would you do if you had a situation like this one, there's a heckler among the audience who wants to shuffle your cards, you have no idea what the card is, and there are people 180 degrees around you, so no palming ....

Holy Crap you kept your cool??? Go on to another effect. Before that happens, don't let another guy take your cards.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
If you know any peeks like the cenre tear, you simply say something like "It's okay because we are not even going to use the deck - keep it" then get a piece of paper and pen nearby (if you are at school, that stuff will likely be readily available). Have them write it down (to assure they don't change their mind) Do the centre tear and peek the card they wrote and reveal any way you like (stigmata would be a great choice).

I agree though, nice work keeping your cool.

Sep 3, 2007
If you know any peeks like the cenre tear, you simply say something like "It's okay because we are not even going to use the deck - keep it" then get a piece of paper and pen nearby (if you are at school, that stuff will likely be readily available). Have them write it down (to assure they don't change their mind) Do the centre tear and peek the card they wrote and reveal any way you like (stigmata would be a great choice).

I agree though, nice work keeping your cool.

I know the center tear. What you are trying to tell the guy is that he should keep cool when the other dude hits cards out of his hands. Just leave em on the ground. Pick up some paper and have someone write her favorite number.

Just make sure you pick up the cards afterwards!!!

Jul 14, 2008
First of all, I must give my props to you for keeping your cool. Situation like this would make me angry and thus, ruin my performance. I agreed with other comments above me. I think you should try a term called "glimpse". Royal Road to Card Magic has a wide variety of glimpse.

If someone did that to me, I would control their selection to the top and turn the deck faceup towards me. Then, I would ask, "Now, I can't find your card, correct"? The audience agrees with me. Once the audience locked on eye-to-eye contact to me, I used Gambler's Cop (but not actually palming), but more like a quick peek. Hope it helps you out.

Dec 18, 2009
Well my suggestion to you would be to secretly peek the card somehow. When he takes the cards "okay I dont even need the cards for this trick." *names card out loud*. This doesn't happen to me often though, and to be honest that kid is just making himself look like a complete idiot in front of everyone anyways.

Nov 7, 2009
I would off smiled at him and said do you mind going away? If he says no I would of said ok see you guys later and walked off. This way everyone hates him and you have nothing to worry about.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
I would off smiled at him and said do you mind going away? If he says no I would of said ok see you guys later and walked off. This way everyone hates him and you have nothing to worry about.

although I really would like to use that...unfortunately you have to be polite and profesional even with this kind of hecklers...you have an image to keep and I would not recomend to do this, you have to work around it as other people have stated before...

Of course you have to be polite, but you don´t have to stand for this s***, next time he try to ruins your performance, very politely ask him to remain quiet so everyone can enjoy the show and if not you can just thank everybody for their time and walk away...

And for this very reason is why I keep an index and invisible deck on me when I perform.

May 2, 2008
Pennsylvania
Two words: GATOR BOOTS. :p

Haha, honestly, I'd just do a side steal or OHTP, but if you can't do those, try to put a little crimp in the corner of the card, and he can shuffle all day.

Keep up the good work,

-Sanj

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results