Mentalism/PK Effects

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
I want to start doing some mentalism/PK effects that are relatively beginner-ish and have maximum impact. I already do a little bit of mentalism, most notably Anate by Dee Christopher. I'm looking at Spin by Matt Sconce, which looks simply amazing, and is almost definitely going to be my next purchase. Downfall by Dan Hauss looks good, however, it got bad reviews, and Power Word: Fall looks more versatile, but Spin is just attractive. However, I'd like a push in the right direction. Thanks!

Ian

Dec 13, 2007
North Hollywood
DO NOT waste your time with downfall it is horrible, impractical and not workable, SPIN is down right AMAZING, and AI do not own power word fall, so no comment ont hat one, but trust me, buy spin, it is AMAZING!

Apr 1, 2009
California
I don't know much about Downfall, don't own it. It hasn't gotten the best reviews, but I'd still like to check it out to further my knowledge. Spin, just received it. Still toying around with it... but it is well worth the money. Incredible. do not hesitate to get it. Powerword fall is great as well. And with Spin you can "push in the right direction". Or appear to. whichever you prefer. You have complete control. It's all about practice. and it's just as versatile, if not more, than Fall. no worries there.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
My advice would be to to take mentalism seriously and read books about developing a persona and how your 'power' works.

Look at Derren Brown, his character is one of an understanding of the psychology of people and how to exploit it. So Anate would work perfectly fine in relation to his character but something like Spin would not. And that is what makes everything he does believable.

Oct 28, 2007
Sydney Australia
I second Dicer. When you pick up mentalism, you have to ask yourself. What do I want people to see me as? Believe it or not, people see a mentalist and a magician completely different.

Please do start with the classic texts of mentalism before going for these single tricks.

If you enjoy your PK, look no further than Banachek. His PK series is the best I have seen, but not only that, it is extremely practical.

-PK touches
-PK silverware
-PK time
Just to name a few

Feb 5, 2010
I'd pick up 13 steps to mentalism by corinda. It basically has everything you need to start in mentalism.

Aug 31, 2007
Lacey,Washington
Downfall isn't horrible. It is great knowledge to have when you are in the right situtation.

I have Power Word Fall from Pre Ordering Spin from papercrane.....It's tight :D

Spin is the ultimate imromptu pk effect, I wish less people knew of it.

May 12, 2009
In addition To 13 Steps, I would also suggest material by Bob Cassidy.

As stated above, the second important thing about mentalism is the effect. It's mostly how you present yourself.
I've seen magicians present mentalism effects and they end up looking like just tricks. But a mentalist doing the same effect made it look like real thought reading.

Feb 5, 2010
In addition To 13 Steps, I would also suggest material by Bob Cassidy.

As stated above, the second important thing about mentalism is the effect. It's mostly how you present yourself.
I've seen magicians present mentalism effects and they end up looking like just tricks. But a mentalist doing the same effect made it look like real thought reading.

i agree that you have to have a character made. Its something im still working on. But also my character changes with the effects i do. when i do pk i make them believe that i have the same power as Uri Geller. like ill tell them about him then say ive unlocked how he did all that stuff. then id perform some pk effects.

But when i do mind readings i make my character a psychic kind of person.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results