Magic Collecting

Mar 26, 2009
I was just wondering if there is anyone in this forums into collecting magic books, apparatus, ephemera, etc...
I would also like to know if you own some collectible (autographs, book, poster...) piece of magic that you are proud of owning.

Apr 1, 2009
California
I don't collect too much. When it comes to books, I'm just gathering what I can to learn from, when I become more established in the art I will probably start collecting better versions of the books, etc... but right now I'm just dissecting the material and it's getting worn.

I do have a 1st Edition Split Spades deck signed by David Blaine

and a White Centurion card signed by Daniel Madison.

Mar 26, 2009
I don't collect too much. When it comes to books, I'm just gathering what I can to learn from, when I become more established in the art I will probably start collecting better versions of the books, etc... but right now I'm just dissecting the material and it's getting worn.

Thats a good point of view.
I always try to obtain a first or limited edition of the book i´m interested in, so as i´m gathering books and creating a strong library i´m at the same time collecting.

Dec 14, 2007
I have a magic collection consisting of books, photos, posters, and apparatus. Are you interested in collecting? What exactly would you like to know?

Mar 26, 2009
I have started collecting for like one year now (books only). I just want to recieve some feedback from possible collectors to share some knowledge and learn more about it.

PM you.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
The only thing I have that is older is something I picked up at an auction a few months ago.

It was the full set of Michael Close's lecture notes called the WORKERS. Volume 1-5

I guess there is a ton of material in it. Kenner and Homer did the illustrations in them. I haven't even dug into them yet.

I got them for like 15 bucks total and a bunch of older guys who know him said that it was a steal and that the notes were probably worth about $100 or more.

I know it isn't anything major compared to some of you guys who have very valuable stuff but that was just something rare I have.

Mar 26, 2009
15 BUCKS! What a bargain! It easily worths the 100, if in good condition.

What auction it was?

I pick up what I can and treasure it more so if it is collectable. I don't really have anything collectable at the time. I have a deck of Karnivals signed by Dan Sperry and several novelty decks of cards from "back in the day" at best

Mar 26, 2009
On that "category" (sentimental things) it can be included an inscribed book or a present from a fellow magician, and those are always the favourite on the collection.

Sep 2, 2007
London
On the bargain side of things, I got a 3rd edtion Expert Card Technique (the one with the extra material from Vernon and Daley), for $33.

Some of the highlights of my collection are a 1st edition Scarne on Cards signed by John Scarne, and Inner Secrets of Card Magic and More Inner Secrets of Card Magic signed by Dai Vernon. And a few issues of The Cardiste, which you don't see round very much.

Mar 26, 2009
On the bargain side of things, I got a 3rd edtion Expert Card Technique (the one with the extra material from Vernon and Daley), for $33.

Some of the highlights of my collection are a 1st edition Scarne on Cards signed by John Scarne, and Inner Secrets of Card Magic and More Inner Secrets of Card Magic signed by Dai Vernon. And a few issues of The Cardiste, which you don't see round very much.

Nice collectible items, signed stuff is always a must!
Keep them coming guys!

P.S: An interesting info for playing card collectors:

The highest price paid for a complete deck of playing cards was $143,352 in 1983. The cards circa 1470-85, are believed to be the oldest known complete hand-painted deck.

Apr 26, 2009
i have 45 decks of playing cards :p but most of the usual, smokes, mirrors, arcos, massas, stuff like that...i dont really have anything rare.
i have a smoke card signed by dan and dave for what it worth

I collect decks of cards and books. And when I say collect cards, it's not like the card collections you see on youtube where that have 17 packs of blue bikes, one tiger deck, five decks of ghosts etc. I just buy one deck of any cards i find, not just uspcc stuff. Then they go in a cool case i have and i don't use them. I just bring them out to show people if they are interested. Not sure how many I have at the mo. Probably somewhere in the region of 30 different decks.

As far as collectables go, I have first editions of Derren Browns 'Pure Effect' and 'Absolute Magic' (now out of print and worth about £300 each!), a signed Andy Nyman DVD, a signed Dynamo DVD and a playing card signed by the legend that is Rene Levand.

Mar 26, 2009
As far as collectables go, I have first editions of Derren Browns 'Pure Effect' and 'Absolute Magic' (now out of print and worth about £300 each!), a signed Andy Nyman DVD, a signed Dynamo DVD and a playing card signed by the legend that is Rene Levand.

For what I know Derren toke away a few charpters of the 1st edition of "Pure effect" when it was published for the second time. Do you know what charpters have been removed?

Mar 26, 2009
Thats it? No more people into magic collecting? I know that must be more within the 15,422 members...

Any opinions on magic collecting?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results