Coin Vanish From Sick

Dec 20, 2009
Australia
Hi guys,

Here is the link to the coin vanish from Sick by Ponta the Smith. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynaLHCaHDMM That is by far the best impromptu vanish I have ever seen. I only have the slightest clue of where the coin goes but I'm not sure how it gets there. Try and figure it out for yourself ( please don't reveal). This one's gonna keep me awake all night!

Just wanted to admire Ponta's work with you guys! Thx

Feb 5, 2010
Hi guys,

Here is the link to the coin vanish from Sick by Ponta the Smith. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynaLHCaHDMM That is by far the best impromptu vanish I have ever seen. I only have the slightest clue of where the coin goes but I'm not sure how it gets there. Try and figure it out for yourself ( please don't reveal). This one's gonna keep me awake all night!

Just wanted to admire Ponta's work with you guys! Thx

I think i have a rough idea of how he did it. im not quite sure but its a good rough thought i will play with on my down time.

Jan 15, 2010
I swear its the cleanest, sickest vanish I've ever seen, the last part, the 'revealing' of the coin is epic.

Jan 15, 2010
the whole dvd is epic. Some of the greatest coin effects ive ever seen and the cleanest handlings too.

To be frank I've been learning magic for like 2 to 3 years, but this is the first time I watched a dvd, IN AMAZE. I SWEAR I WAS ADMIRING how godly those hands were. How clean those handling omg. I swear I had climaxes while watching them. PONTA u are totally sick.

Dec 19, 2009
Sick is a fantastic DVD and Ponta is a stand up guy. There's only one problem with some of his work.

It looks fantastic on camera. Yes. That's the problem. It looks SOO good on camera.

In the real world with a real audience, some of this stuff doesn't hold water. This vanish being one of them. I hate to rain on the parade. I'm a huge fan of Sick and of Ponta the Smith, but some of these sleights are too angle-sensitive. I personally prefer the more practical, every-day sleights. There are tons of gems on this DVD and definitely a lot to get from it... but the truth is, performing this vanish will be a huge feat, it must be performed in front of a straight-on audience or an audience below you. It is very situational.

Otherwise still a fantastic DVD.

Sick is a fantastic DVD and Ponta is a stand up guy. There's only one problem with some of his work.

It looks fantastic on camera. Yes. That's the problem. It looks SOO good on camera.

In the real world with a real audience, some of this stuff doesn't hold water. This vanish being one of them. I hate to rain on the parade. I'm a huge fan of Sick and of Ponta the Smith, but some of these sleights are too angle-sensitive. I personally prefer the more practical, every-day sleights. There are tons of gems on this DVD and definitely a lot to get from it... but the truth is, performing this vanish will be a huge feat, it must be performed in front of a straight-on audience or an audience below you. It is very situational.

Otherwise still a fantastic DVD.

dude, i hate to rain on your parade, but most good, visual, IMPROMTU coin magic is going to be angle sensitive. Thats why you dont see that much on coin magic, because good coin work is going to be angle senstive. A good performer will recognize the angles needed and work from there. Vanish CAN be done with 10 to 12 people, if you use your audience management to your advantage. But think about it for a second, vanish is kind of a "quickie", something you would use to gather an audience, not really when you have a full crowd. Just some thoughts. Peace man

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
dude, i hate to rain on your parade, but most good, visual, IMPROMTU coin magic is going to be angle sensitive. Thats why you dont see that much on coin magic, because good coin work is going to be angle senstive. A good performer will recognize the angles needed and work from there. Vanish CAN be done with 10 to 12 people, if you use your audience management to your advantage. But think about it for a second, vanish is kind of a "quickie", something you would use to gather an audience, not really when you have a full crowd. Just some thoughts. Peace man
agreed 100%. People are so sensitive about angles, but everything has a bad angle and a right situation.

agreed 100%. People are so sensitive about angles, but everything has a bad angle and a right situation.
magicfreak, I think you jumped down his throat a little there at the begining. However, you do make valid points, and should clean up how you present it. Using accusatory modifiers only discredits your post (I realize you were in no way trying to sound accusatory or rash, but others may think that you were) . I did however see exactly what you were saying, and was quite excited at the information, so I thought I'd share.

I completely agree with you and jrobarts, but lorenwade made a fantastic point. He was the first person to point out a logical and quite important convergant aspect to the DVD. With that said, I believe that much coin magic that looks that stunning will be angle sensitive, thus having an optimal environment and time to perform. However, that does, regardless of how you look at the equation, limit you slightly. I agree that we should adapt as to make up for the limitations we are presented, but he is saying that the style he enjoys is one where that is not a problem. I will say, that when I practice routines off of Sick, I enjoy learning the complexities but I do notice that when performing for actual spectators in a close up environment I tend to fall into lorenwade's side of the field without even noticing. My body seems to fall back on simpler, and more reliable sleights for the reason of safeguarding my performance.

This is a mold I am currently trying to break. I am as I have progressed over time, beginning to allow sleights thought to be "angle sensitive" to be incorporated in my off-the-cuff performances.

So I hate to rain on all parades, but both of you have extremely valid points. I hope that you can both read up on each others' posts to understand the value in each.

Good Info guys
All the best,
-Chase

Sep 3, 2007
magicfreak, I think you jumped down his throat a little there at the begining. However, you do make valid points, and should clean up how you present it. Using accusatory modifiers only discredits your post (I realize you were in no way trying to sound accusatory or rash, but others may think that you were) . I did however see exactly what you were saying, and was quite excited at the information, so I thought I'd share.

I completely agree with you and jrobarts, but lorenwade made a fantastic point. He was the first person to point out a logical and quite important convergant aspect to the DVD. With that said, I believe that much coin magic that looks that stunning will be angle sensitive, thus having an optimal environment and time to perform. However, that does, regardless of how you look at the equation, limit you slightly. I agree that we should adapt as to make up for the limitations we are presented, but he is saying that the style he enjoys is one where that is not a problem. I will say, that when I practice routines off of Sick, I enjoy learning the complexities but I do notice that when performing for actual spectators in a close up environment I tend to fall into lorenwade's side of the field without even noticing. My body seems to fall back on simpler, and more reliable sleights for the reason of safeguarding my performance.

This is a mold I am currently trying to break. I am as I have progressed over time, beginning to allow sleights thought to be "angle sensitive" to be incorporated in my off-the-cuff performances.

So I hate to rain on all parades, but both of you have extremely valid points. I hope that you can both read up on each others' posts to understand the value in each.

Good Info guys
All the best,
-Chase

Try a real hard vanish etc.

May 6, 2009
I see loren's point. However I've been working on the vanish for quite some time now. It's coming along. If someone is sitting down, its not a problem, as long as they are standing in front of you. Audience management is key. If you're performing for a group of people and they know your a magician, you can direct them to stand in a group. It's not a problem.

Some of david stone's work is very angle sensitive. An extremely deceptive production called the "Stone production" which takes influences from Thomas Garret's Web grip and an old fashion incredible production from downs palm, is very angle sensitive. With practice, you can know your angles. I've done this for groups of people, because I've practiced it enough to know exactly how far to tilt my hand without showing the coin, with practice. It's automatic. Some of the best magic is angle sensitive like I said. For example, david stone's routine "Cocktail matrix" you use tradionally with a mat. However, in the bonus section Stone talks about he never uses a mat when he performs it, he uses the spectator's hands. This makes it more magical. After the third coin has travelled, all the spectator's put their hands on the last spectator. And this completes the finale.

You can do magic without tables, just use the spectator's hands AS a table! This applies to sponge magic on the street too.

Sep 3, 2007
I see loren's point. However I've been working on the vanish for quite some time now. It's coming along. If someone is sitting down, its not a problem, as long as they are standing in front of you. Audience management is key. If you're performing for a group of people and they know your a magician, you can direct them to stand in a group. It's not a problem.

Some of david stone's work is very angle sensitive. An extremely deceptive production called the "Stone production" which takes influences from Thomas Garret's Web grip and an old fashion incredible production from downs palm, is very angle sensitive. With practice, you can know your angles. I've done this for groups of people, because I've practiced it enough to know exactly how far to tilt my hand without showing the coin, with practice. It's automatic. Some of the best magic is angle sensitive like I said. For example, david stone's routine "Cocktail matrix" you use tradionally with a mat. However, in the bonus section Stone talks about he never uses a mat when he performs it, he uses the spectator's hands. This makes it more magical. After the third coin has travelled, all the spectator's put their hands on the last spectator. And this completes the finale.

You can do magic without tables, just use the spectator's hands AS a table! This applies to sponge magic on the street too.

Very true, but I don't think it applies to the vanish in question. In the vanish, no table or specs hands are needed. I could go so far to say it isn't "that" angle sensitive. The problem with it: It is incredibly difficult to master. One small mistake and you drop the coin. That is not what I view as workable. Even after mastered you WILL still make mistakes. Maybe good to give yourself a wayout on dropping the coin. Cause it's going to happen with that handling.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 6, 2009
Very true, but I don't think it applies to the vanish in question. In the vanish, no table or specs hands are needed. I could go so far to say it isn't "that" angle sensitive. The problem with it: It is incredibly difficult to master. One small mistake and you drop the coin. That is not what I view as workable. Even after mastered you WILL still make mistakes. Maybe good to give yourself a wayout on dropping the coin. Cause it's going to happen with that handling.

Yep. Ponta has told me he does not perform it for laypeople, because he still can't do it perfect (drops the coin sometimes). If he can't do it perfect, I don't think many can.

But I'm going to continue to practice it and make it better.

Dec 19, 2009

I pretty much disagree, and that's a good thing. You've found something in magic I haven't. Also a good thing. I promote disagreements. People find different things and that's totally cool. I mostly do impromptu magic, but most of my tricks... are not as angle-sensitive. There's nothing wrong with the vanish. It's a great vanish, just not my thing. ;) If you love it, that's great!!! To say most impromptu magic is angle-sensitive is wrong, though. I do lots of it, and most of what I love in coin magic can have people standing all around you... that's what I like. :)

I agree with your statement, actually. Don't put me in a generalization. I totally agree with your statement. And maybe I just haven't pushed the envelope and jumped outside of my own comfort box. That's okay too. Everyone has steps. Maybe I'm not there yet... but this one is something I probably won't pick up. ;)

Good Info guys
All the best,
-Chase

I wholeheartedly agree, and maybe I'm in the same boat is you... slowly getting out of my comfort zone. ;)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results