Stage Magic For Schools

Jan 5, 2010
Alabama
Hey guys,

So I've recently been invited to come and do an assembly for a school that I've been performing at (for their art appreciation class).

Luckily I have a family member that works at the school and was able to talk about it and spread the word (as well as the kids I've performed for).

Now, I've already used the search bar, so I don't get flamed, to find a few things.
But wanted, to ask you guys for help in a thread of my own if that's ok.

I know close-up magic doesn't translate well to stage, so I'll have to work on other stuff.

I own THREAD, and I've got a few things from the Tarbell Course (ie.. needle swallowing, small inexpensive illusions).

What else do you think I could refer to for help?

Any advice would be very appreciated as well as shoves in the right direction when it comes to routines for stage magic.

I should point out that I've been performing musically for most of my life, so stage presence and confidence are natural to me in front of audiences.

Also I just started branching into mentalism by starting to read 13 steps by Corinda.

I've put a lot of thought into this post and would really love it if you put as much into your response.

Thanks guys,
Robert

Dec 12, 2009
London Uk
For presentation get Magic And Showmanship by Nelms it has some nice little effects in there (Also the pull rabbit out of hat illusion is in there). The book is filled with everything from walking on stage to picking voulanters.

Derren Brown makes stage mentalism his b****, so watch some of his stage shows (Evening of wonders,The Gathering, Something Wicked this way comes).
I have just finished 13 steps and its an amazing read, if you want to branch into mentalism the guide I used is from a personal friend on talkmagic.com
(They have excellent mentalism reviews and guides) So here is the link:
http://www.ipswichmagicalsociety.co.uk/downloads/becomingamentalist.pdf
Read that, its not a list for you to get on the spot its like a guide from beginner to advanced. (Also Bob Cassidys Fundamentals is from what I hear GREAT)

So keep in mind that i am a beginner in mentalism too and I have given up focusing on cards (card college) to work on my mentalism.

Vanishing Canes are all ways a keeper, also if you have alot of time to practice
card manipulation is great I did that for a while. A good example of a close up brought stage situation is Ring + String performance called Evolution on The Art Of Magic by Wayne Houchin. That trick is mainly a close up trick but wayne houchin changed the presentation and script to make it stage.

A note, try and watch some stage magic, and learn some presentation from others.

Good Luck to you sir!

Last edited by a moderator:

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Most schools are not going to allow you to do needle swallowing in front of kids. If they do and a child tries it at home (regardless of you telling them not to), the principal and you would be in some hot water.

Stick to kid friendly stuff and illusions. Have fun. Sounds exciting.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
How long are you on stage for what do you want your audience to experience. These and many more questions need to be asked before anyone can really give you a legitimate answer.

Dec 18, 2009
Well I'm 13 just so you know. Anyways, I LOVE when Lennart Green takes an empty wine glass rubs it with a cloth and it fills itself. Just wanted to throw that out there. How old are the kids you're performing for?

Corbin

Last edited by a moderator:
May 31, 2008
A friend of mine owns 13 Steps, I have skimmed through it a couple of times, and I remember seeing an effect that I believe was called "A Million to One" in the stage mentalism chapter, I remember the method being very simple and easy to pull off, check it out.

Jan 5, 2010
Alabama
Thanks guys!

The group I'm performing for would be 7th - 12th graders, for about 45 minutes to an hour.

If schools wouldn't like needle swallowing then they wouldn't like THREAD.

Thanks for all the advice and help! Luis I don't know if I should produce a bottle of wine.. haha. Gotta remember I'm in the Bible Belt!

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
Stage Magic for a school should be interactive and amusing. Although illusions and doves and what ever is interesting... It wont really make that big of an impression as a lot of them have probably seen it a lot on TV already.
I suggest Stage Comedy and Stage Mentalism.
As always, I recommend the material of John Archer. Great great comedy mentalist. I wouldnt suggest following his patter as hes a tad rude for school... Find effects which need the help of your audience yet still has a light feel to it. Tricks which need audience participation but isnt staight out serious mentalism.
Straight Out Mind Reading (bad. Its usually a tad boring 7th graders)
Emotional Intelligence (alright. Can have a light feel to it if attempted, but still drags on)
Tossed out Deck (good. Simple and direct. Can be funny as hell)
I had a 1 hour show last year and i set it half comedy and half serious. Both worked quite well but I think the serious section only went well because the comedy acted as the prepping of the audience. If I started out with the silent magic, they would probably lose interest.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results