Geek Magic Ideas?

Dec 19, 2009
Hi, I'm going to performing geek magic at my highschools talent show....I could use some ideas for more tricks. Any ideas for a good geek magic effect I could do?

I have an idea for you. It's called try using a search button once in a while.

This subject has been discussed in great detail here before. There's probably a thread on this subject on page two of this forum, seeing how I replied to it only a day or two ago.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Hi Korean,
Please check with your school administration on some of the GEEK effects. You may be ok, but I know a few principals who would not allow razor blades, glass breaking, etc. at a school function where other kids might be tempted to try it.
If you get the go ahead...have at it and blow them away. I love watching GEEK magic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Korean,
Please check with your school administration on some of the GEEK effects. You may be ok, but I know a few principals who would not allow razor blades, glass breaking, etc. at a school function where other kids might be tempted you try it.
If you get the go ahead...have at it and blow them away. I love watching GEEK magic.
yeah exactly what he said....i agree....

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
Why geek magic...
Its a highschool...
Perform something more suitable...
Geek magic seems to be the first thing peopel reach at when theres a talent show or something... why is that? It doesn't always get the greatest reactions...
Perform something all your audience can connect to... (not card tricks) I'm pretty sure a well played EI would work much better...
But anyhoo... I wouldnt perform anything that looks small scale or hard to understand. Razor Blade swallowing would probably work nicely... Thread, Wounded or Saw wouldn't. Flesh Wound would. Freak wouldn't, neither would stigamata. Control would be great if well played. Glass Eating would as well..
and finally, the best thing you could perform is ________. ah.. whoops. guess you do have to use that
search button.

PS. I based the "workability" of these tricks on the general talent show audience size. Some people might not be able to see such a fine thread pulled out your eye. Itll just look like youre flinching weirdly.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
EI is one of the worst things that you can perform for a high school talent show. Or for any talent show in that matter. It is one of those pieces that needs to be placed in the right part of the show. It is definatly a closer to a longer show with an encore piece if need be. If you wanted to do a mentalism piece on a talent show you should do something like sneak thief or forth dimensional telepathy.

Teleapthy Plus is in my opinion a better handling of 4DT than the original as the envelpoes don't really add that much other than more fumbling on the stage.

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
EI is one of the worst things that you can perform for a high school talent show. Or for any talent show in that matter. It is one of those pieces that needs to be placed in the right part of the show. It is definatly a closer to a longer show with an encore piece if need be. If you wanted to do a mentalism piece on a talent show you should do something like sneak thief or forth dimensional telepathy.

Teleapthy Plus is in my opinion a better handling of 4DT than the original as the envelpoes don't really add that much other than more fumbling on the stage.

Yeah.
I dont know why I said that. Just trying to make a point that some strong mentalism would work great instead of cutting yourself. I was thinking back to a performance of mine when I used it to follow up.
As for a talent show... I don't not recommend geek magic but seriously... why? You are performing for friends, fellow students, and probably a few teachers. Why do you want to pretend to hurt yourself and make everyone scared and freaked out? Perform something they can all engage in and feel like a part of. For geek magic, youre more or less saying "look what I can do... its not human is it... haha i win!"
Try some comedy mentalism or something... That always works great in a talent show. Check out the Magic Square routine by anyone. I learned it from John Archer but the best routine I have seen is by Lorayne (youtube it). It doesn't look like magic but it still makes you look good, looks amazing, engages the audience, and you can probably play in some patter about math, memory, calculating, and throw in a joke about some math teachers or something.

PS. EI wouldn't be the worst thing to perform... Gator Boots probably would... Or something so miniscule that you couldnt see from 3 meters away... like... a rubberband link... haha.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
The Magic Square is another thing I don't like. If the kid is no good at maths than it would not fit at a school. It also comes across as a look at what I can do thing. I personally use my variation of a magic square where it starts as a failed prediction and ends as kick in the face magic square.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
True.

A better way to put it is look how much better I am than you which is a very easy way to lose audience appreciation especially if you are doing something like magic where the real method is something completly underhanded.

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
True.

A better way to put it is look how much better I am than you which is a very easy way to lose audience appreciation especially if you are doing something like magic where the real method is something completly underhanded.

Gotcha.
I don't know the magic square because I found that doing magic which requires math isn't too exciting. I'm not sure how it works, but if you tell your spec to add, sub, mult, divide, it tends to get exhausting and leads to suspicion of the weird kids in your old math class in high school that did those type of tricks to their teacher and everyone knew that there was some type of formula, but never cared to how it actually worked.
I stay away from math.
I'm amazing at math, but I never was entertained in my math classes.
Imagine how your audience feels.

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
Hm...
I don't know... I love the magic square. It borders on magic as well as skill. People don't know whether or not its skill or magic. I have performed it many times and never has anyone ever reached the possibility that its a formula. With proper build up and rep then it works like a charm.
And to DannyT: your math teacher never really put a presentation or build up to teaching math... so the effect on the audience is rather different isnt it?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results