Best Closer for Stand Up Show?

Feb 19, 2010
hey guys i need some help as many of you know your ending to a show should be the most kick a** thing you have but ive been looking for the last couple hours for an effect to close my stand up show with and nothing has really caught my eye (within a price range). I need something that will cover a group of 200 to 250. Suggestions would be great if you guys could help. I mean from anyone, t11 artists love to hear your imput whenever given.

James

Apr 7, 2009
Paul vigil's HCE.

Jokes aside, i reccommend the tossed out deck.
Plays big for a large crowd.

Dec 5, 2009
The Cups and Balls, Linking Rings or some other classic. Remember, their last image of you will be the strongest!

Good Luck!
Jesse

I hardly think the effect matters very much. Yes, it has to be suitable for the venue and the audience, but what makes the last effect "play big" is everything about your show leading up to that point and then the presentation of the last effect.

I think it would be wise to read Showmanship For Magicians by Fitzkee or Maskelyne on the Performance of Magic.

For example the Invisible Deck is a trick that most us probably would never think of using as a closer, but it can work with the right presentation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lsov0eK1oTo

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
I hardly think the effect matters very much. Yes, it has to be suitable for the venue and the audience, but what makes the last effect "play big" is everything about your show leading up to that point and then the presentation of the last effect.

I think it would be wise to read Showmanship For Magicians by Fitzkee or Maskelyne on the Performance of Magic.

For example the Invisible Deck is a trick that most us probably would never think of using as a closer, but it can work with the right presentation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lsov0eK1oTo

invisible deck wont work for 250 people

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
Control by W:H

a good Torn and Restored Card although you would need a projector for an audience that big

any basic one ahead mentalism routine with proper presentation

Jul 13, 2009
Effects I would think would end well in a stand up show. Now please keep in mind these are thoughts.

The ending of a good acid monte routine, where the metal is boiling and steaming away as your patrons leave.

My absolute favorite ender to a stage/stand up show is a round of thanking and a good night/day.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
My season of shows start tomorrow at 9:00

My closer is going to be a manipulation routine....that includes:

-a little shrinking card routine
-XCM (sybils, some flourishes of mine, arm spreads
-one card routine
-the card fans routine of Lance Burton (with personal touches)
-multiple productions (backpalm, tenkai production, multiple fan productions)
-manifestation of a fan of giant cards and some butterflies coming out from them

I decided to do it because a manipulation routine is something really beautiful and everyone is going to remember that...

Dec 12, 2009
London Uk
If your show consits of card magic, you closer to keep the pattern has to be with cards but out of the box card magic, so something like The Pandora system by Shane Black. If your show consists of mentalism finish with mentalism but something stronger than anything else you did.

You don't want to do a a good card routine then change into mentalism, because well the spectator may wish that you never did card magic or the other way round there are other reasons too.

Pick up a copy of Magic and Showmanship by Nelms, it has a couple of good stage effects and the information in there is invaluable, I have read it like 7 times and i learn something new every time.

I am directing my own show in 8 months, my closer currently is Control my WH and then do the second half of For Andruzzi by luke Jermay avalible in 7 deceptions (stops spectator's heart) but thats just for me because my "theme" would be: Being control of body and mind (its titled Body and mind :p) so I would be doing mentlism and geek effects that run on the same line as control and For Andruzzi.

You always want the closer to be the most amazing thing, because it would be the most effect they would remember if you played your cards right (no pun intended), so you dont want to do control in the middle of a routine then finish with a watch stop....

Sep 1, 2007
I use serial biller as my closer, I borrow the bill early in the show for a different reason, and then bring it up at the end. Thus creating a continuous line of action throughout the show until I do a torn and destroyed bill to a box that's been on stage the whole show.

~Beans

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
If your show consits of card magic, you closer to keep the pattern has to be with cards but out of the box card magic, so something like The Pandora system by Shane Black. If your show consists of mentalism finish with mentalism but something stronger than anything else you did.

You don't want to do a a good card routine then change into mentalism, because well the spectator may wish that you never did card magic or the other way round there are other reasons too.

Pick up a copy of Magic and Showmanship by Nelms, it has a couple of good stage effects and the information in there is invaluable, I have read it like 7 times and i learn something new every time.

I am directing my own show in 8 months, my closer currently is Control my WH and then do the second half of For Andruzzi by luke Jermay avalible in 7 deceptions (stops spectator's heart) but thats just for me because my "theme" would be: Being control of body and mind (its titled Body and mind :p) so I would be doing mentlism and geek effects that run on the same line as control and For Andruzzi.

You always want the closer to be the most amazing thing, because it would be the most effect they would remember if you played your cards right (no pun intended), so you dont want to do control in the middle of a routine then finish with a watch stop....

could you post the tracklist (I call it that way) of the effects that are going to be in your show?

My tracklist is...

-bottle production
-Sure? with Card to Wallet
-Torn And Restored Card
-Twin Decks (Invisible deck routine)
-Floating Cigarrete with a little cigarrete magic
-Bill Switch and Prophet
-Sinful
-Nine In Numbers ( Number predicted in envelope...a big number)
-Fire to Rose
-Cups And Balls
-Swallowing Tootpicks
-Cookie Cutter (for the Kids!!!hahaha just kidding)
-Blind Hammer (bending metal Routine)
-Manipulation Routine

that´s it...I wanted to include a wide variety of tricks since I am trying to offer something for everyone...

Dec 12, 2009
London Uk
could you post the tracklist (I call it that way) of the effects that are going to be in your show?

My tracklist is...

-bottle production
-Sure? with Card to Wallet
-Torn And Restored Card
-Twin Decks (Invisible deck routine)
-Floating Cigarrete with a little cigarrete magic
-Bill Switch and Prophet
-Sinful
-Nine In Numbers ( Number predicted in envelope...a big number)
-Fire to Rose
-Cups And Balls
-Swallowing Tootpicks
-Cookie Cutter (for the Kids!!!hahaha just kidding)
-Blind Hammer (bending metal Routine)
-Manipulation Routine

that´s it...I wanted to include a wide variety of tricks since I am trying to offer something for everyone...

Oh its not final yet, I do have alot of time so right now its all over the place but i have figured out my opener and my closer (but even that is all over the place):
Opener: Loki by Dee christopher or a swami gimmick routine
Closer: control then the second part of For andruzzi by luke jermay.

I am planning to ask a couple of people (in private) to what they think of my routine, people that I know are experienced in stage magic and stage mentalism. I will pm you very soon :p

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
The tossed out deck is not a show stopper. Its a show starter...

M.

Every good closer has potential to be a good opener, and most openers have potential to be great closers. It's all in how you play it. Tossed out deck where you have a sealed envelope (or 2 sealed envelopes) and you show you predicted the cards before the show started (though the envelopes were in view the whole time) would work great as a closer (if the rest of your show allowed for it).

And we still don't know what the show is about, what kind of material, or anything else really...except it needs a closer and is for 200-250 people...and he has a budget.

Feb 19, 2010
Thanks guys for the help I've looked into a lot of your idea already as it is. But the opinions so far are great so keep em coming :) also when looking at my show its been fitted to the large audience and has a lot of great twists that i will show you guys later. My show so far consists of:

1. Bowl-o-rama
2. Balloon animal trick
3. Vanishing bottle
4. Vanishing Bandana
5. Tossed out deck
6. Bill in orange
7. Confused lol

well hope this gives you all an example of my show and what i am kinda trying to find out there. Oh and i don't want close up trick ya know. You guys are awesome thanks!!!!

[edit] not in that order just so you guys know (cant give my show away lol)

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
I don't want to sound too harsh, so excuse my bluntness.

Your show has no plot.

In fact most shows I see have no plot, no story and no direction. All your show feels like is an assortment of trick and is a very egotistical look at what I can do. Your charater should grow, through the show your abilities should show consistancey but also gain in impossibility.

I will happily help you with your 'track list' if you want butr it will be a very difficult process, but worth it.

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
I agree with DICER.
The strongest shows/ routines are ones with flow and context. It should gradually grow throughout with an ongoing motif and "plot". This way, the audience feels like they are watching the show as a whole rather than little bits. It also allows them to feel like their experience is developing rather than it is a small new experience every time.
if you already have some flow to it which connects everything, then congrats. If not, atleast try to create a patter that somehow creates a link.
It is hard to choose a closer for this as... well firstly, I dont see a theme. secondly, they are all very similiar type tricks. Probably just end with something as/more visual. Perhaps a Sketchpad animation or dancing hanky. How bout a really big ending. Some form of comedy prediction where the method is actually really simple but effect looks hella big.
For example... Have a number or word forced some how. Perhaps through newspaper or what ever. Make a big deal about how many pages there are, how many articles, words, paragraphs, brands there are. Then perhaps a giant revelation where everyone turns their chair to face you and it turns out that they are color coded so that it shows the chosen word when looked from the front. Have a camera and projector showing this. Sure to hit welll... no idea though. Just something off the top of my head. No idea where it came from.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results