The Rice Papers - Details of the Effects

Oct 5, 2008
Homer Liwag's new dvd/download looks pretty silk. But one thing..there wasnt a link on the side describing the effects in detail in what happens in each trick.
I can tell from the sharpie effect, it shrinks. And then from the looks there is a Blank card, slowly turns into a King Of Spades. But then there is a clip of him in what seems he is just bouncing a ball...confused on that one.
All in all, im looking for detail explantions of each trick.
Thanks!

jonraiker

vp of development
Team member
Aug 5, 2007
Florida
instagram.com
From the product page:

A giant contact lens materializes at your fingertips - followed by a pair of eye glasses from nowhere. A selected playing card slowly appears on a blank card. A marker is extracted from its own cap, a ball bearing drops from the tip, and the marker transforms into your cell phone!

You can order it HERE. Hope this helps!

From the product page:

A giant contact lens materializes at your fingertips - followed by a pair of eye glasses from nowhere. A selected playing card slowly appears on a blank card. A marker is extracted from its own cap, a ball bearing drops from the tip, and the marker transforms into your cell phone!

You can order it HERE. Hope this helps!
That dosent really explain the effects. I think you need a detailed discretion of the effects. C'mon guys your not De'vo.

J.

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
stop complaining and look for yourselves. There are already several reviews on the forums and homer's site has a breakdown of the effects. The breakdown on the trick page isn't terrible and in case you did need more info, there's A VIDEO DISPLAYING the effects.

stop complaining and look for yourselves. There are already several reviews on the forums and homer's site has a breakdown of the effects. The breakdown on the trick page isn't terrible and in case you did need more info, there's A VIDEO DISPLAYING the effects.
The thing is I as a customer shouldnt have to look around for more information. All the information should be provided for me at the product page.

J.

jonraiker

vp of development
Team member
Aug 5, 2007
Florida
instagram.com
The thing is I as a customer shouldnt have to look around for more information. All the information should be provided for me at the product page.

J.
To be completely honest, between the teaser video, outtake video, official preview video, and product page description - I think the effects are more than clear. In fact, besides crediting (which Homer covers in full detail on the video itself), I'm not sure what more could be said?

With that said, feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any specific questions you'd like answered. Always here to help! :cool:

homerliwag

theory11 artist // director of design, david coppe
Sep 4, 2007
Las Vegas
www.homerliwag.com
Rice Papers Effect Descriptions

Hi everyone,

I always believed there was a fine line between showing too little and showing too much - wether it's a magic trailer or a movie trailer. Show too much and people will just recreate the tricks themselves (even in their heads) and there is no mystery. Video never quite represents being fooled "live in person", especially tricks that require misdirection in timing. You can't pause a live (in person) performance in front of you. But, at least I can describe the routines for you here:

1. Body Contact: In between tricks, the magician acts apparently annoyed with one of his contact lenses. The magician reaches up and "mimes" removing a contact lens from his eye. The invisible contact lens "appears" at his fingertips. After a bit of byplay with the lens it is put away in his pocket. Without warning, a pair of eyeglass appears between his fingertips. The magician puts the eyeglasses on and continues his business.

Note: The appearance of the contact lens is similar to Michael Ammar's cup and ball move where the ball magically appears on top of a cup, seemingly never coming close to it. There are a few variations taught, depending on the size and personality of the crowd. In impromptu situations, a couple of ideas are explained if you don't have a giant contact lens on you. This is a quick, simple gag to fill the space between longer tricks in your set.

2. Fogged: A card is selected and placed on the bottom of the deck. After breathing on the selected card, it is shown to have become blank. The next series of changes happen one after the other. A thumb is wiped across the blank card and a portion of the selected card slowly appears. The card is then rubbed against the palm and more of the card appears. Finally, the card is passed over with the other hand, where the rest of the card appears, revealing the selected card.

Note: A couple of variations are taught and the cards can be easily made at home. The method is open to your own additions and variations.

3. Marksmanship: During a routine where an object needs to be signed, a strange looking marker is brought out. This oddity looks like a marker cap with the marker jammed inside it, with only an inch or less sticking out. The magician magically pulls the marker out of the cap, allowing the spectator to use the marker in a normal manner. The marker is then shown to jam all the way into the cap once more, then pulled right back out. Explaining that this is a "ball point" marker, a giant ball bearing is dropped from the writing end, much to the surprise of the spectators. The magician now mentions that the marker is a "convertible", which, at that moment, turns into your cell phone!

Note: Variations taught including impromptu versions using objects found at home or in a restaurant. The final transformation object can be a variety of things, from your cell phone to a pair of chopsticks, to a pair of glasses stolen from a spectator's pocket!

Hope these descriptions help. These routines have given me much performing pleasure over many years. My favorite is Marksmanship, because so much seems to happen with the most innocent of objects - a Sharpie. Although everything is relatively easy to learn and follow, most of your practice time will be devoted to timing and misdirection. Knowing the basics of sleight of hand and performing in front of real audiences (not youtube) is recommended.

Homer

Sean.Cinco

Elite Member
Sep 2, 2007
Orlando, FL
www.seancinco.com
Homer, I don't recall you mentioning where to get a ball bearing that size. Would Home Depot or Lowes Hardware have it? I've been using a cork like you did in that video, but I like the sound effect of the ball dropping on the table. Thanks in advance.

homerliwag

theory11 artist // director of design, david coppe
Sep 4, 2007
Las Vegas
www.homerliwag.com
ball bearings

Hi,

I got my ball bearing 20 years ago and I can't recall where! You can probably do a search online and find a source. If I find one I'll post it here. For now, anything will work. A D cell battery makes a great thud and is easy to get.

Homer

Mar 26, 2009
iPhone wallpaper?

Hi Homer,

Just received the dvd, i bought the Rice Paper book months ago, but i love video...
Maybe you can tell me where you found your "Casanova wallpaper"?
Is it a picture of the Bust you have at home?
Or maybe you have a link?
Thanks a lot.

Ben

(sorry for my bad english)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results