High School Stage Show

Jan 16, 2010
Heyy all, I am a very active stage, and close up magician. However I am booked into do a school stage presentation. I have 1 hour, 150 kids, and I am looking for routines.

Yes i have my own that I use, but I just want to know what the community here thinks; the illusions have to be extremly interactive with the audience (as it is a bunch of high school kids), have a somewhat comedy base, and be able to fit into an hour performance. Simply looking for ideas that come from this diverse community.

Some of the effects that i am going to use already;
- Russian roulette style rountine
- Thread
- A comedy routine with a rope
- Kate and Edith
- I have many more ideas, but again I want to see what everyone here thinks :)

My style is very unique, it is more of a gothic style, however with alot of comedy.

Apr 7, 2009
Switzerland
Hmm, I think it's very hard to do a 1 hour (!) stage show for 150 kids.
It would help, to say on which date your show should be, so we know how much time you have to practice your routines.
Could you also say how old the kids are? I'm not familiar with the school system in the USA. :(

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Hmm, I think it's very hard to do a 1 hour (!) stage show for 150 kids.
It would help, to say on which date your show should be, so we know how much time you have to practice your routines.
Could you also say how old the kids are? I'm not familiar with the school system in the USA. :(

High School is somewhere between 13-18 depending on which state and probably a half-dozen other reasons.

@OP:This advice may or may not be things you already know, but seeing as how I was in high school not too long ago (4 years) and can look back and laugh at what high school is I'm going to give it anyway.

I would start with a comedy routine or some aspect, but once you've gotten their attention you could draw them into a more serious presentation. Don't do anything cheesy. High Schoolers are all different, but all care about image. Don't be fooled, the dozen or so that don't care what everyone else thinks are probably harder to win over than the mindless drones who follow their friends thinking. Not to offend anyone in high school, but look around your school and tell me I'm wrong, tell me everyone hangs out with everyone and there aren't clicks...

Back on topic, Comedy starting out, but treat them like adults. Don't use profanity like you can with an all-adult crowd, but don't talk down to them either (though one cuss word 'slipped' wouldn't hurt your chances of being accepted as someone worth watching).
If you don't want to start out funny Thread would be a great opener. It'll get everyone's attention and if projected on a larger screen will have them wanting to see more. Russian Roulette is a great routine to pull them in, even if it's not dangerous you can go over how dangerous the game is before doing the routine. I have performed the routine using an egg and nobody knew what was under the cup until the end "Russian Roulette is a dangerous game played with knives, guns, and nails...I've avoided my fate...of a really messy table and sticky hands...*lifts cup to reveal egg*"

Audience participation is also a must, maybe a cards across or something similar would work. Just a few thoughts on the environment as it stands today, as well as effect openers. I don't know what else would go well, what all you do, and how much time you'd have to prepare.

Hope it helps.

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
i'm currently a sophmore in high school.

150 kids is a smaller school. so cliques are fewer, they may be more drastically different but, there are fewer cliques. so i would try to get a feel for the audience when introducing yourself. then go from there.

Sep 3, 2007
i'm currently a sophmore in high school.

150 kids is a smaller school. so cliques are fewer, they may be more drastically different but, there are fewer cliques. so i would try to get a feel for the audience when introducing yourself. then go from there.

Also, realize that most kids that are situational won't visit the show. Out of 2000 there would probably be 150 that would go to the talent show. And take into account the people that actually go out of their effort to attend.

Usually, academics. Sometimes, the mom makes them go. RikAllen is completely on target. As for magic to do: Stuff that involves the audience. Try something like stigmata on stage and the energy will flow through the crowd.

Jan 16, 2010
sweet response guys but ehres some answers;

I_love_Magic - lol 150 is an extemly small group for an hor stage show, i have alot of stage time under my belt, and my largest performace was 525ish people. as for the age range, it is grade 10's - grade 12's so ages 14- 18. most of rountines i practice around 3 times per week, and i have a month to prepare for the show

Rik Allen - thanks a bunch, all good advice aha, but it is a local school and i know most of the people already, or am known to the, this has been being promosted for close to a month, and the kdis are stoaked.

everyone else - thnks a bunch

still looking for input from everyone ! haha/ just to see what everyone thinks.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results