Stewart James in print book, the first 50 years

Hey guys,

I was checking out this book and was hoping that someone could possibly give me some information on it. I heard a lot of good things from this book but I was hoping some of you could give me an idea of what kind of card material is in the book and what kind of coin effects. I know there is more than just cards and coins but these are mainly my area of work but any other information would be great.

Thanks for any help.

-Joey

Feb 16, 2009
South Bend, IN
I am reading the book (yes the entire book!!, which is nearly 1000 pages long). I am presently more than halfway through it. I was thinking of posting a comprehensive review of the book, but that might take more time. I don't know if you can wait for that.

In any case, if you want a very brief overview, I have the following things to say.

• Stewart James was a genius. Genius is an overused term these days, but my god some of his methods are simply mindblowing.
  • His magic is very reliant on principles and subtleties, not all of it is mathematical though.
  • There isn't much sleight of hand involved, but I feel adding some sleight of hand might make a few tricks even better.
  • If you appreciate ideas for ideas' sake (even if they may not be completely practical), this book is a goldmine.
  • I can't guarantee that everyone will like this book. Stewart James' approach to magic is very different from any of the other old timers. If you have the cash to spare and my very brief overview looks promising, go for it.

EDIT: You asked about card and coin effects, but the book has much more than just that. There are lots of card effects and some coin effects. There are also lots of mentalist effects and some unusual magic with other props. Just remember, it is a collection of 50 years worth of work by a master. He did not restrict himself to just cards and coins.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot man, I was starting to think that nobody has any knowledge on this book. I read a little about it in David Ben's book Advantage Play. I really appreciate your help and I'm thinking that I really want to get this book.

Thanks for your help man,

-Joey

Feb 16, 2009
South Bend, IN
Thanks a lot man, I was starting to think that nobody has any knowledge on this book. I read a little about it in David Ben's book Advantage Play. I really appreciate your help and I'm thinking that I really want to get this book.

Thanks for your help man,

-Joey

No problem. BTW I forgot to mention that the book has some quirky and interesting ring and rope magic in it (I don't do this kind of magic right now, but it's always good to know stuff). So yeah, the magic in it is a mixed bag.

I must also mention that I am actually having fun reading this book. Many magic books are somewhat dry and very focused on the technical stuff. This book has some interesting anecdotes interspersed between the tricks.

Thanks a lot, I always enjoy a wide range of material. You never know what you'll come across. Thanks for all the help, I'm really looking forward to reading this book. Once I get the book, I'll be sure to keep you in mind so if anything comes up I will know someone to chat up with.

Thanks man!

-Joey

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results