What's next for me?

Aug 31, 2007
www.myspace.com
i have been into magic for just about 3 months now. so far, ive gotten:

• How to do street magic(which i was kind of disappointed in)
  • Crash course 1
  • ACR
  • distortion
  • panic

and a couple books here and there.

im not sure where to go next. im more into card magic/street magic then coin magic and the other stuff. what should i get next for tricks? also, i dont really know any flourishes, so where do i begin there? ive heard the trilogy is too experienced for me, so what should i do now?

also, when do you know when youve really mastered a trick/flourish?

thanks guys,-Gears.:eek:

Sep 1, 2007
you know you have "mastered" a trick when you can do it without hitches at a moments notice and you do not have to look at your hands (or your misdirection is good enough that even if you look at your hands, they do not see you doing it). I would say find a good source of self working tricks, they will save your life, trust me. Also, I would buy Double Take (thats the name of the dvd), it is great for learning stuff that is simple yet hard hitting. :D

Sep 2, 2007
uhhh..what?
Xtreme Beginnerz by De'vo is great for neophytes in cardistry/flourishing. It can be found at http://www.xtremehandz.com/, it's easy to learn from, and teaches you all the necessary basics. After Xtreme Beginnerz, you may want to consider the System, and, then, the more advanced Trilogy.

Furthermore, feel free to check out this thread for those who are new to or want to learn cardistry and/or flourishing -- http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?t=1803.

Cheers,
JTM

Sep 1, 2007
UK
Xtreme Beginnerz is perfect for beginning XCM. As for other stuff, I'd highly recommend getting the book "The Royal Road To Card Magic" and "Expert Card Technique" if you are afer card stuff. Michael Ammar's "Easy to Master Card Miracles" DVD series is also awesome. If you get one of these DVDs, believe me, you won't be disappointed, practically every effect is something you will almost certainly perform, and they are taught together as routines which can really help people who have trouble creating routines themselves. The teaching is excellent, and there is a very useful POV section at the end of each effect which quickly recaps over everything you need to do.

If you want to move away from cards now, Ellusionist's "Inside Magic" is a bit more varied. I don't have it yet, it's on it's way, but I have heard great things about the book "13 Steps to Mentalism" by Corinda. Can't wait to read it myself.

Hope this helps.

All the best,
Huruey

Sep 1, 2007
Canada
Ace of Gears,

It sounds like you have enough material to last a while. Keep in mind, it's better to have a small amount of tricks you have perfected, than a hundred that you have not.

I agree with Cory, stick with what you have. I think you should take the time to practice what you have and then perform it. I find the most valuable practice comes from real live performances. Either on the street, to friends, wherever. Perform what you have, stick with it for a good while. Then move onto something else.

When you're at that stage I would recommend Card College and Art of Astonishment. Maybe even Tarbell. I would also look into investing some money into picking up a book such as Absolute Magic, Strong Magic, or Maximum Entertainment to get the fullest out of the effects you currently own and are using.

Mitchell

Sep 1, 2007
I recommend that you practice what you already have. Remember, an amateur practices until he gets it right, a professional practices until he can't get it wrong.

Keep practicing. After you've got a couple trick down smoothly, go perform and get rid of those nerves if you have any. Just keep performing and practicing.

Also, expand your range of buying products from E and T11. Nothing wrong with it, but don't forgot about the classics. They have gems and stuff on there that no one performs. (which is a good thing)

keep practicing, performing, practicing, performing.

This should take a while. Perform at school if you want. Go with your friends and show create a crowd. Keep going. And make sure to be interesting. David Blaine could probably be the only person to not have a good presentation and a great personality to get famous. I don't believe anyone else can pull it off.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results