Five: Dan and Dave Notes

Dec 18, 2009
Hello everyone. I haven't seen a review for this, so I thought I'd step up and make one.

Five is D&D's fifth set of notes. I was not overly impressed with these but they're pretty good. They are sold in a PDF format and available for 15$ on their site. It is a good intro to their material for those who don't own the trilogy.

Rotated
The age-old transposition effect recreated with a new plot and done entirely in a spectator's hand. After showing the 2C (example) you have your spec sandwich it between her hands. Now you display a second card - JH, which you sandwich between the top of her hand and the bottom of yours. Setting the deck aside you now explain to your spectator that if she were to turn both her hands over (in unison to yours) that the two cards would transpose, she agrees. The effect is that no matter how many times she turns her hands over the JH always stays on top.

Thoughts: Not too impressed here. It uses a gimmick, which I absolutely hate. It's okay, I guess...maybe....sort of.

Hofzzy
The coolest remix of the classic Hofzinser Ace trick. Your spectators will swear you have some sort of supernatural powers. You literally set up the ending of the trick before you really even start. The magic really does happen in their hands.

Thoughts: This is the same trick as Hoffzy Osbourne in the trilogy. But, this is it's original publishment. Anyways, for those who aren't familiar with it, it's basically one of my favorite Hofsinzer ace problems EVER. Very good, very strong, not too hard, great effect.

Meld
After showing the 2ofSpades you have your spectator pinch it at it's center, you then apparently "slide" the two pips off the card and begin to meld them together thus forming one large pip which you then place back on the card to get the Ace-of-Spades. All in all this is a Self-working version of Paul Cummings PIPS routine and just as visual too.

Thoughts: Meh. Not bad, not too great either. It's not that visual as it occurs face down...However, if you want something very very very simple, slightly visual, and still pretty hard hitting, this is your effect. I did this for my parents and they loved it. I like to force the 2 of spades also.

Vertigo
Like the old Hitchcock movie this ones insane, especially when you get to the part where you "haki-sack" cards off your foot.

Thoughts: This is one bad-ass looking move. Some might regard you as a showoff but honestly, I could care less. This is one of the coolest looking things possible with a deck of cards. If you get this on the first try....I hate you. It'll take trial and error but it's damn worth it.

Revolution Erdnase
A stylish new one hand cut: A packet from the bottom makes its way to the top while spinning 180 but it doesn't stop there, it continues to spin another 180 while making its way back to the bottom thus making the cut false. It's repetitive too. If not used as a cut it's one helluva exercise.

Thoughts: I'm not a huge fan of this. The reason being is that there are so many simpler one handed cuts that look just as good. It's another "eh" or "ok" thing. Some may really like this though.

Subway
If you haven't already learned the DMB Spread Control from NR_3 then here's a reason to do so. Dan and Dave have completely modernized Earl Nelson's "Submarine Sandwich" giving it their signature touches and adding a transposition effect to the plot to make what was a good trick a GREAT routine.

Thoughts: Hehe. This is arguably one of the most visual sandwhich effects I know. Not too difficult, very strong. The spread control will take a bit of practice but thats about it.

Escargodisplay
A slow elegant display and production of the four aces.

Thoughts: Don't like this. I'm not a "display then production" type guy. If you're into the molecule type productions then you'll probably like this. I found it a bit difficult to learn though. But I wasn't very motivated.

Overall Thoughts of the Notes: Pretty good. For only 15$ I don't think you could get anything better. Other than royal road or expert at the card table, of course. But, if you're interested in learning the Buck's material, this book is an awesome intro.

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results