Alternative to the "Pinky Count"?

Sep 1, 2007
1. Bring right hand over the deck
2. Contact back of deck with right thumb
3. Tilt the deck back toward yourself (hiding the action) as your right thumb secures however many cards are necessary
4. Wait a beat or two, then do your lift

Easy, reliable and it works in front of audiences - harder techniques aren't necessarily better folks.

Even easier - push off two cards with the left thumb and pull them back, getting a break udner them in the process. Fine if you can reveal the top three cards of the deck. Easy to do whilst in the flow of your presentation.

Pink counting is all well and good, but I like to keep life simple.
Cheers,
David.

Mar 29, 2008
This is an interesting question, as it will open conversations on strengths and weaknesses of technique, which should always be in thought.

The pinky count allows the get ready, or the gap, to not be seen as you get your break. However, the tension in the hands is usually targeted as the weakness. Now, I don't agree this is a reason not to do it - IF you are only getting ready under 2-3 cards. Less tension is very important, but the technique is not done under heat, and has as much tension as squeezing the deck for a few seconds. If you are counting multiple cards, then the tension is for much longer and the counting often takes the mind away from performing. When done under a few, these weaknesses still exist, but when using the same misdirection, carries the same tension and proper timing as a top change.

The thumb count has never been a friend of mine - the get ready is towards the audience, and can be detected up close, and it suffers the same tension as the pinky count. Daryl doesn't even hide it, and I think that is dangerous.

Shodan - watch your exposure here pal - I think what you wrote counts, even if we are just talking get readys.

The push off is the easiest, although most don't time it right. I have heard Fisher say to students, if you are going to do a double, you should have a break 30 minutes ago...meaning, get one WAY in advance. However, this isn't always allowed in some structured effects, where multiple lifts will occur, so some other methods look more natural than a push off, and squaring action.

If Fisher's statement holds true, then the tension of the pinky count should be long gone by the time you perform your move, and doesn't trigger subliminal alarms.

There are many ways to get ready - context of movement is important, so all methods will be natural in a certain situation.

Good topic, thanks.

Morgan B - AKA - Morgician

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results