Give Us a Prize Worth Fighting For!

Hey Raiker, JB. Hope your listening....

I was thinking today of a prize that would be worthy of the kind of epic event that T11 is known to run.

Granted, I have no clue what the event would be, but I know well what the prize I'd like to recommend for your consideration.

I'd like to recommend that a winner of said unknown event win a Demo Reel or better yet, a Press Kit designed for them.

Think about it... Give us a deck of cards for a SNC and you feed us for a week. Give us something that we can use in our career and you've taught us how to feed ourselves.

I'm just saying... you want to take it to the next level... there's the bar.

Sep 15, 2007
www.myspace.com
Hey Raiker, JB. Hope your listening....

I was thinking today of a prize that would be worthy of the kind of epic event that T11 is known to run.

Granted, I have no clue what the event would be, but I know well what the prize I'd like to recommend for your consideration.

I'd like to recommend that a winner of said unknown event win a Demo Reel or better yet, a Press Kit designed for them.

Think about it... Give us a deck of cards for a SNC and you feed us for a week. Give us something that we can use in our career and you've taught us how to feed ourselves.

I'm just saying... you want to take it to the next level... there's the bar.

OMG. I was literally just talking about that same idea! kind of. I was thinking something like them producing and editing a video for the winner, but we are on the same page.

So I'm just thinking off the top of my head here, so this may need tweaked or adjusted.

But if we were to do an event that offered a prize that epic, then the event itself would in turn also need to be epic.

I'm thinking something that would be multi leveled. Probably involving creativity, originality, showmanship, skill level, and knowledge of theory.

Round 1
Write an essay on a given topic, have it fit a preset word minimum and maximum.

Round 2
So something like shoot a performance video of you doing someone else's effect for a live audience. Then along with the video document what you changed from the original supplied patter or presentation, and why you changed it. Or defend why you didn't change anything at all.

Round 3
Create an original effect, write out the explanation, and film both a performance and tutorial of the effect.

On top of our usual house brand of judges, Bring in a guest Pro Judge, Like Jeff McBride, because he's always doing stuff like this. Give him a chance to promote his mystery school. Contact the boys over at Street of Cards, give the winners of each level a little bit of live air time doing their thing, and the big prize goes to the best who can overcome all levels of contest.

You really want to pimp this... Offer the winner a chance to have his original work released with the next upcoming T11 project. Then flip that around and use that credit as a trump card in the Demo Reel.

Sep 15, 2007
www.myspace.com
So I'm just thinking off the top of my head here.

But if we were to do an event that offered a prize that epic, then the event itself would in turn also need to be epic.

I'm thinking something that would be multi leveled. Probably involving creativity, originality, showmanship, skill level, and knowledge of theory.

Round 1
So something like shoot a performance video of you doing someone else's effect for a live audience. Then along with the video document what you changed from the original supplied patter or presentation, and why you changed it. Or defend why you didn't change anything at all.

Round 2
Write an essay on a given topic, have it fit a preset word minimum and maximum.

Round 3
Create an original effect, write out the explanation, and film both a performance and tutorial of the effect.

On top of our usual house brand of judges, Bring in a guest Pro Judge, Like Jeff McBride, because he's always doing stuff like this. Give him a chance to promote his mystery school. Contact the boys over at Street of Cards, give the winners of each level a little bit of live air time doing their thing, and the big prize goes to the best who can overcome all levels of contest.

You really want to pimp this... Offer the winner a chance to have his original work released with the next upcoming T11 project.

With a contest this epic, you would also need a 2nd and 3rd place along with prizes because you could go through all that work and not get anything you know?

With a contest this epic, you would also need a 2nd and 3rd place along with prizes because you could go through all that work and not get anything you know?

Of course.

So Round 1 prize pool could be your standard SNC prize stuff. Deck of cards here 1 on 1 download there. Simple stuff.

Round 2 prize support, have your video promoted or featured on Street of Cards, or T11, or something like that. Get you some press. Maybe throw in a deck of cards for the hell of it.

And you know what round 3 winner gets.

If you did first, second, third, place for each level then you could always offer 1 on 1 downloads or card decks. Those are pretty easy to hand out.

Apr 1, 2009
California
As I think more and more about it. This does seem like a really good idea. But there would have to be a lot of logistics worked out to where you could find a worthy receiver of the prize. This would be to find someone virtually unknown who not only has exceptional talent but also, great knowledge in magic, a great personality, creative and original thinker, etc.... etc... I would assume that on Theory's behalf, there would be a lot of money and time put into this. So they'd need to be sure they were rewarding the right person. Not just giving this to some young magician (nothing against young magicians) who has little to no experience performing or in the art in general beyond webcam. Still hasn't found him or herself. Etc...

As I think more and more about it. This does seem like a really good idea. But there would have to be a lot of logistics worked out to where you could find a worthy receiver of the prize. This would be to find someone virtually unknown who not only has exceptional talent but also, great knowledge in magic, a great personality, creative and original thinker, etc.... etc... I would assume that on Theory's behalf, there would be a lot of money and time put into this. So they'd need to be sure they were rewarding the right person. Not just giving this to some young magician (nothing against young magicians) who has little to no experience performing or in the art in general beyond webcam. Still hasn't found him or herself. Etc...

So you do a screening as a precursor to the process. You have the aspiring contestant submit a 3 minute or less video uploaded to youtube or Vimo detailing why they want to be in the contest, why the prize would be cool to win, and why they think they'd be worthy of such an opportunity.

If you don't get enough hits for the event by the end of the screening process, you just rinse and repeat until you do.

In the same way, you could also exclude or disqualify people based on certain criteria that would classify them as professionals so far as the event is concerned.

Apr 1, 2009
California
I remember them promoting something of that sort, but it wasn't for this site, they were promoting an opportunity for magicians on here.

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
I'm liking the demo reel idea a lot.
Just shooting a raw video clip of a live performance, no cuts, no music, no editing of any kind. Just a basic footage and having T11 tweaking it themselves.
That would be great to have and to put on anyone's magic website for their clients to get a better understanding of your personality and the type of magician you are.

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
i think a sort of coaching report, similar to the one penguin did (GASP) but i think it was a great idea, offer a privat online chat with members of the T11 team and you just get to chat about magic, and where you want your magic to go, and get tips on how to get there. time limit is an option, but it would be a real buzz kill

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results