Bicycle Guardians

Mar 24, 2010
I read in some forums, that the first editions of the gurdians had some issues (clumpy, not so good at fanning,...); but they also mentioned that the second edition is much better.

May I ask which version can I buy here?
Thanks for the answer.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I did not see much of a difference between the Guardians and regular Bikes. Except I get a ton of compliments when I use the Guardians. You would have to hear from someone who had both editions. I would assume that the Guardians sold now are only the 2nd run but Raiker can probably confirm.

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
First edition Bicycle Guardians were printed in mid 2007 and were greatly improved in the second edition run in late 2007. All decks sold on theory11 since that time are third, fourth, or fifth editions (2009) - and have perfect feel, finish, snap, and quality.

That said, note that decks sold in mainstream retailers (Books A Million, Barnes and Nobles, Target, and Walmart) are not the same quality decks as sold directly by theory11. We only have direct quality control over decks we directly distribute, and we stand behind every deck sold.

Likenthrope

Banned
Jan 31, 2009
First edition Bicycle Guardians were printed in mid 2007 and were greatly improved in the second edition run in late 2007. All decks sold on theory11 since that time are third, fourth, or fifth editions (2009) - and have perfect feel, finish, snap, and quality.

That said, note that decks sold in mainstream retailers (Books A Million, Barnes and Nobles, Target, and Walmart) are not the same quality decks as sold directly by theory11. We only have direct quality control over decks we directly distribute, and we stand behind every deck sold.
Since you stand behind every deck sold, how did you handle the crappy first run decks? Did you send replacement decks for people that bought those or did you inspect them first and realize they weren't that good and decided not to put them up for sale? Or did you just sell them anyway? Just curious.

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
Since you stand behind every deck sold, how did you handle the crappy first run decks? Did you send replacement decks for people that bought those or did you inspect them first and realize they weren't that good and decided not to put them up for sale? Or did you just sell them anyway? Just curious.

It's not a matter of being "crappy" decks. The first edition Guardians were printed on the sheet fed press at US Playing Card instead of the larger, more robust web press. The vast majority of ALL other custom playing cards you know and love are printed on that same sheet fed press, and quality would be similar to the first edition Guardians.

With respect to some of our colleagues and competitors, I will withhold citing specific decks, but the majority of custom decks on the market are printed the same, with no better quality than the first edition Guardians. We have not printed a single deck on that press since 2007, and we continuously improve quality. Want proof? We threw away nearly 6,000 decks of Smoke & Mirrors v4 as they did not meet our quality standards. It was a grueling, frustrating decision - but it was the right decision. We waited months for a reprint.

And yes, we did exchange many decks with shipping on the house. Every single week, customers contact us with pictures of rare defective, miscut decks. Nine times out of ten, we replace them with shipping on the house. As far as I'm aware, no one else does that as standard practice. It's a rare occurrence, but we sell a lot of decks, and US Playing Card is by no means flawless.

Xdelamuertex

Elite Member
Oct 16, 2007
Spokane WA
www.x-tremefights.com
Really?

The first gen guardians were the SH&% and trust me in 2007 the reviews rolled in from some very well known magazines. Decks have since then improved, but at that time nothing could even touch the looks of the guardian first gen. Which is why I still have a brick saved of them. The second series is still amazing and is just that much more amazing as far as quality of card stock has improved. all and all, you can't go wrong with any of the cards sold on T11 as they go through rigorous product testing and of course the occasional card throwing war which in itself is a sore for sight eyes, especially if you take one in the forehead!:D

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results