Classic Pass HELP!

Jul 26, 2009
So i have been practicing the classic pass for almost a month now, but i just can't seem to get it down. I started off with a deck taped into solid halves. (i was told this would work on the strength needed without worrying about dropping cards) I had great success with this and my solid half pass looked awesome. I just recently moved on to using a standard deck, but i find when i make the first movement i tend to peel off the top card of the packet. Another problem is the cards in the top packet seem to slip away from each other and go everywhere.

Does anyone have any advice on these issues? Please don't suggest buying the new 1 on 1 seeing as my parents don't want to buy me another video right now.

Please pm me or leave a response to this thread. Thanks a lot.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Keep practicing.

The classic pass takes YEARS to perfect. Don't expect it to be awesome in a month.

Jul 26, 2009
but does my pinky break need to be massive? and if so how deep should it be cuz i'm at me first knuckle on my pinky

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Figure it out, dude. Just keep working on it and figure out what works best for you. My hands aren't the same as yours, and they definitely aren't the size of, say, Jason England's.

Some times there is no 'right' way to do things. It seems like all new magicians want someone to come along and tell them that if they moved their pinky finger a quarter inch closer to the corner of the deck, suddenly the classic pass will be easy. It's not. You just have to figure out how it will work in your own hands.

That being said. For me, the break starts out very small, but right before I do the pass I reach in to about the last knuckle.

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
Some times there is no 'right' way to do things. It seems like all new magicians want someone to come along and tell them that if they moved their pinky finger a quarter inch closer to the corner of the deck, suddenly the classic pass will be easy. It's not. You just have to figure out how it will work in your own hands.

He's correct. For example, in my pass, I hold the break with just the flesh of my pinky, but as my right hand comes in contact with the deck, my left pinky moves all the way in to the second joint.

This isn't something I was told to do, or something that I actively decided to do. It just happened over the course of me drilling my pass over and over again. Just keep doing it and doing it, and eventually, you'll find the way that's the most comfortable for YOU to do it.

Jul 16, 2009
York, UK
My guess would be that you're trying to do the move faster than your hands are able to at this time, or your break isn't comfortable enough, or the thumb at the back is holding the top packet instead of softly touching it.

You need to slow it down and see what the problem is. Once you have figured it out, experiment to see what makes it go away. Don't expect it though to be improved once you've hit the spot. What you are trying to acquire is muscle memory and for such a demanding move don't expect to obtain it overnight. A month won't cut it either.

The Classic Pass can be done in many different ways, some better than others. Similarly, some sources teach it better or provide more useful tips. My opinion about the Pass is that you need to study more than one sources to see how to handle the move. You need to take pieces from everywhere and choose the ones that work for you. When you ask for someone's advice, all they're going to say are the difficulties they've come across with and how they've dealt with them. Like it has already been mentioned, everyone has different needs and this is why you need to experiment on what works for you.

I'm currently in the process of reconstructing some bits to suit the move better for what I want to it to look like, but here is how I do anyway. The pinky is in only half-way through to the first knuckle (just about covering my nail, but I have a very small one). My pinky and the rest of the fingers have the top packet clipped. With a very relaxed grip, all I concentrate on is shooting the top packet out and vertical to the bottom packet (soon to be top packet). The rest of the move should be self-explanatory.

If I have to give only one piece of advice, it will be not to rush the move. Tensing your hands will do you no good. It will also take months of practice before you see some good progress.

Ioannis

Try to relax you hands. You are putting too much pressure on your pinky which is making the top card to come too.

Also, how the hell do you guys do a pass with your pinky in to the second knuckle. Doesent that make it look more noticeable?

J.

Jan 26, 2008
Sweden
Try to relax you hands. You are putting too much pressure on your pinky which is making the top card to come too.

Also, how the hell do you guys do a pass with your pinky in to the second knuckle. Doesent that make it look more noticeable?

J.

Well i think that it depends on how you do your pass. Most of the time i use a really deep "claw" grip. But when i do that i do both get the break, get into the grip and do the pass as i square the deck with a small rock motion.

Apr 13, 2010
I would recommend:

Purpose: What do you want to learn the pass for? There are a lot of other controls out there that are a lot easier to learn and may substitute the pass quite effectively

Patience....you are not going to master the pass in a month........Fact!!!!!

Practice....in front of a mirror preferably, helps with the angles

Purchase....When you are in a position to splash out (ie. birthdays or xmas then Ian Kendall's ebook on the pass and steve youell's hacking the pass have been of particular help to me)

Persevere...Keep practicing,dont give up,you dont have to execute an impecable pass to be a great cardician

Good luck

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results