How do you publish a card flourish?

Jan 26, 2010
I have a couple of card flouishes that are unique i just wnna know how you publish so when i can do them perfectly i would like other peaople to know about them

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
youtube is the best way to get it universally out there. T11 may or may not post it.

however if you want to be able to control who see's it vimeo is the best option. You can post the flourish and password protect it. Then send the password to flourishers who are serious and who's opinion you might respect and who would actually appreciate the work.

Dec 14, 2007
Youtube posts are not (at this time) considered when establishing the history and lineage of ideas. If you eventually want credit for it, write it up, shoot photos or make illustrations and submit it to a reputable magic magazine.

Oct 12, 2007
Hey Brad,
I don't know if I agree with you 100%.

I'll agree that for a magic trick, the best course of action is to publish in print. However, flourishing is a very different matter. Very few flourishes are taught in text - furthermore, written instruction would only serve to confuse; the motions involved in most flourishes are so complex, any written instruction would be futile. Though youtube may not be ideal, I would argue that it could be a very valid form of documentation. It identifies the individual, displays the date uploaded, and is (somewhat) permanent. However, the most important part: the flourish is seen performed - exactly as the creator had originally intended.

See you this year in Starrucca?

-Adam

Dec 14, 2007
Complex flourishes have been accurately described in print (with illustrations) for years. One of the finest examples being a french text from the 1950's.

I contend a skilled writer can describe the most nuanced of motions, and there are systems of notations for many other visual/motion based domains.

The problem with using any electronic media as a means of establishing a time stamps is that electronic media is easily spoofed. (Just attended a talk from a notorious hacker who demonstrated the vulnerability of many systems we assume to be secure.)

Further, youtube lacks any editorial feature which could vet ideas as new. While one could choose to believe that the democratic "mass" could create enough "momentum" (to use terms incorrectly) to help privilege some moves as original or seminal and others as derivative, the problem is there is no reason that "youtube postings" should be considered more credible than say posts on individual websites or even random files hiding on thumb drives.

And once again we get to the problem of who really came first.

Until there is a reputable forum/journal/or convention of flourish people who can put in place systems for recognizing work and the time of it's creation, I think one is best served by going with the established system.

Will be in the area this summer. Need to book the date!

Jan 26, 2010
Thanks for your help guys ill tell u two of my flourishes that are still in prototype on is music box and the other tentical (think i spelled it right)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results