That One Effect

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
I was just wondering what effect that you have in the back of your mind but you have never performed. There could be many reasons for this; the sleights the setup up or the presentation. Maybe even you think you are not good enough to perform it with justice. I would like to know what it is and why you just cannot seem to perform it.

For me it is the Q&A act, I have done smaller parts of it different situations however I have never gone all the way to make it a feature of my show let alone a major piece. I am working on making the second half of my show similar to the second half of Evening of Wonders. However I am still trying to work out a few parts to it. The main reason why I do not perform this is I don't feel like I can perform it well enough in my eyes. Even if I did something like Derren's Q&A I would probably still feel it was not good enough.

There are many effect that I feel this was about an other one is the psychometery idea in it's Annemann presentation of the who gave what premise.

Feb 5, 2010
Id have to say that one effect would be Stop by Daniel Garcia. I like the idea and a reaction it could get. but how its done im still working on it and i wouldnt give the effect justice.

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
Paul Vigil's "Sympathy (For the Devil) Cards".
I still haven't done it for some reason. Probably because I've never been in a setting where I could appropriately build the trick to the climax that it deserves.

You know i've got to agree on the Q&A. It has been something ive been wanting to do for a while now but it havent got to the point where i would just take the idea and roll with it.
To me it's sort of the holy grail, there are endless outcomes and instances where something could take a turn for the good or worse.
Also it needs a s*itload of presentational and a bit of cold reading/people reading skills. Its something thats takes the idea of mentalism to the max, utilizing every ounce of knowledge you have.

So basically, i feel im not ready as a performer. Im going to leave it there for a few years and start work on it when i've performed a bit more.

M.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Diplopia by Paul Vigil, because I'm just not good enough at the required technique.

Also Q&A, but that's one that I haven't even gotten to working on yet. It's sort of my horizon effect.

Sep 24, 2007
Haha I seem to have the opposite problem- I CAN perform a Q&A but have never had the inclination to.

I've always wanted to do the Haunted Pack, since it's a remarkably beautiful effect, but it's never been consistent with my "power" and the message I'm trying to convey. I also don't have the guts to do thread work, since if its seen as "less than nothing." I instantly become a trickster. Shame.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results