Video's of Me Performing...

So, a while ago I did this little video for my schools TV channel. It is me performing for a whokle bunch of kids outside at lunch, and then an brief interview with some questions with me. We took it and it was edited and put back onto the TV. Video For School

These are some other video's that I have done...

NOTE: Some video's contain slight flashes that magicians may be able to see. They are minor thoughh and don't really affect the flow of the trick and I don't think too many laymen will really notice.

Me Perfoming David Stone's "Ghost"
Me Performing a Color Change and Throw Vanish
Me Performing "Jumping Gemini"
Me Performing David Stone's "Travelers"
Me Performing "See A Card"

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
Tricks were great, especially ghost.
I enjoyed that one the most.

Just one tip, slow it down a bit, take it down a notch.
Speedy Gonzales had trouble following that.;)
Let the magic sink in before you go onto the next step.

Nov 7, 2009
Very good but you flashed at 1:36 I personally would subsitute that vnus trap for a top change. Its much cleaner and easier.

But the tricks were good although everyon in this goddamn industry is doing ultimate transpo, 2 card monte, ambitious card or biddle but I cant speak since I use Ambitious card (its a good trick!!!) Nice job though. 4/5

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I know the feeling of wanting to do as much as possible for your spectators, and the feeling of wanting to get through the trick quickly as to minimize the chance for messing up, however, limited time for the video should not equal going through the trick and moving as quickly as humanly possible, it should mean doing less, but with better presentation.

Several things that might help you for the future:

I watched your first trick a few times, and my biggest advice is to just relax, slow down, and let them enjoy the moment. You were leading the spectator way too much. Even the simple thing of how he should put his hand out directly above the table, you seemed very very forceful. Just simply say, "could you please hold out your hand?" However, ultimately, if in the end, you are just going to have him cover the card with his hand on the table, there is no need for him to just hold his hand out there and wait. If you were to rest the card on top of his hand, ok, but after showing him the "7d", you can put it face down on the table in front of him and then just simply, "please cover that with your hand so I wont be tempted to try and steal it from you," etc...

Also, I would suggest that you do not use a joker. Most people know a standard deck of cards come with two jokers and should be suspicious of your choice. (even though they look different).

You look really comfortable with a deck of cards. You are very smooth with your cuts, in the hands shuffles, etc... which shows that you put in your time to polish your technique. That is very important. However, do not let it overshadow your performance. Although I am speaking from a magician's point of view... the card handling took the majority of the my attention away from the actual trick itself and it left me wanting a lot more out of your basic "performance ability."

Perhaps you do things differently when not shooting for a school video, but from what I have seen, try to experiment with the following:
1: slowing down while executing your sleights. You execute your sleights very quickly and do not allow any downtime before proceeding through the trick. I used to do this because I felt that if I just waited there, someone would notice that I did something fishy. Your technique is good, have confidence in it, and just play it off slowly.

2: build up to the moment of the "magic" and let them absorb it before moving on. Your routines/ tricks all had the same "quick pace" with very small pauses, and most of the time, I felt the pauses were at the wrong time.

Here is just one simple idea that can make your ultimate transpo a bit better.

After placing "their card" into their hands, and you show your favorite card on top of the deck. After turning it back over, take it into your hand, put the deck down completely, and mimic exactly what you had the spectator do. For example, if hey are holding the card between their hands, you should do the exactly same thing mirroring them. Then, add a simple subtlety by saying, "now switching these two cards would be impossible, but that's what magic is all about," then take a small peak at the card you are holding and say something like, "hmm, still need a few seconds for this to work I guess," then, slowly reveal that their card is now in your hands, and ask them to slowly peak at the card left in their own hand.

The sleights have already been done, and you are way ahead of schedule, so milk the safety of the situation, and put 100% into your performance. Do anything you can to make the "reveal" part of the trick as memorable as possible. After all, they are not in a position that can be in awe of your technical skill. I as a magician can praise your technical skill and your ability in your sleight of hand. As a spectator however, that is all behind the scenes, so if you do not do everything in your power to make the part of the presentation a spectator does get to witness/ enjoy/ understand, then you are selling yourself short of the applause you deserve.

Just my two cents.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Nice card work. I enjoyed Ghost and Jumping Gemini the most. Sounds like you were running low on battery for the camera which affected how fast you needed to perform. SLOW DOWN...just like Danny said. You have great material here so when you are out doing these and it for spectators and your batter time isn't low...let the magic soak in.

Overall I enjoyed your videos. Thank you for Sharing Dylan.

Dylan, liked the production. I get a feeling that your character is sort of this fast talking card worker kind of guy. That's not a bad thing. I'm not going to tell you to slow down... because if it sells for you do it!

But I am going to tell you to know when and [/b]where[/b] your magic is. When you come to those moments, thats when you need to hit the brakes and let it sink in. Give your marks a chance to catch up to you before you take them back down the roller coaster tracks of a new trick.

Also, editing note. Let your people finish talking (such as your teacher) before you cut away. Don't do a fade out like that. Especially not when they are giving you praise.

Good work! I'd come to see you perform.

Also, editing note. Let your people finish talking (such as your teacher) before you cut away. Don't do a fade out like that. Especially not when they are giving you praise.

Good work! I'd come to see you perform.

I appreciate the advice. Yes my style is a fast talking card worker. And I would like to say thank you for giving me the advice. As you can see I put a quote above. I would just like to say that I did not edit it myself. I wouldn't have done that. But the girl who made the film did, I had no say in it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results