Hand care: What do we do to take care of our hands?

Mar 12, 2010
Tucson
As magicians, we all share one common thing, we all use our hands. I know that in some cases, people do not use their hands, mostly if they don't have any. But my question to you guys is, how do we as magicians take care of our hands? I know that sometimes, for me at least, I get a little nervous before a performance and immediately, the sweat starts to accumulate on my hands and boom: cards start to stick, coins start to slip, and I look like a moron. My question is, how do we avoid this?

Thanks
Keenan O.

"Anyone can do a card trick, but not everyone can be a magician."

I keep a small travel bag in my car, and with me at all times when out on gigs. In this bag I've got several things of random usefulness including a spare change of cloths, shampoo, conditioner, hair product, razors, shave gel, etc and especially a nail file and clippers. Why? Because as a magician your hands are seen all the time! You need to keep them clean!

Also I'd recommend getting your nails done once a month professionally too. Guy or girl, doesn't matter.

As magicians, we all share one common thing, we all use our hands. I know that in some cases, people do not use their hands, mostly if they don't have any. But my question to you guys is, how do we as magicians take care of our hands? I know that sometimes, for me at least, I get a little nervous before a performance and immediately, the sweat starts to accumulate on my hands and boom: cards start to stick, coins start to slip, and I look like a moron. My question is, how do we avoid this?

Thanks
Keenan O.

Thanks
Keenan O.

Don't try and play a game of chainsaw roulette with a armless guy......He loses but he wins as well.

Don't piss off ninjas, those kitanas are hell.....

Don't go to Draven's or Dan Sperry's house when drunk. Tons of Sharp objects.

No i'm just messing off, Dude, just pray and stay safe. Also, Try to keep away from harmful skin products and toxins. Other than that, what can you do???

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
nails? i dont really see any technical benefit in a manicure, i think he was asking more along the lines of hand lotions and ways to avoid sweaty palms.

Jul 16, 2008
somewhere in New York
nails? i dont really see any technical benefit in a manicure, i think he was asking more along the lines of hand lotions and ways to avoid sweaty palms.

I wouldn't use hand lotions..then again it might just depend which kind u use..but it usually makes my hands greesy so I don't use it when i handle cards or are about to. Baby powder works as far as sweat...and deffinetly manicures like said above, since ur hands are seen all the time.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
To dry out your sweaty hands all you need to do is apply hand sanitizer right before your show. Hand sanitizers have alcohol in them which will dry out the skin and keep them nice for handling the cards.

I keep a tiny bottle of Purell in my close up case just for this reason.

Mar 2, 2008
Don't get a manicure if your a compulsive nail biter :rolleyes:

Wash hands, trim nails, hand lotion every day and your hands will fine.

Hand sanitizers have alcohol in them which will dry out the skin and keep them nice for handling the cards.

I keep a tiny bottle of Purell in my close up case just for this reason.

Also serves as a nice germ buffer if you are meeting, greeting, and shaking hands with a lot of people before the end of the night. After all tis the season for swine flue.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Keeping the nails short and well taken care of also helps with card technique. Nothing more annoying than trying to slide a card with your pinky tip, only to have the nail get in the way.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
True. My nails are kept really short, except my index finger on my right hand, which has just enough to be able to do Stigmata.

Oct 12, 2009
Navarre, Florida
I leave maybe the width of a pencil lead as far as fingernail length goes. I clip them every Monday or every other Monday as needed usually. I do lotion a few days a week but I make sure its fully absorbed into my skin before I go messing with cards or anything.

Does anyone else get complimented on their hands? I get told they are pretty or amazingly soft and its kind of an awkward compliment to take...

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
unfortunately my hands are not soft....also since I am a Flamenco Guitarrist my right hand has long nails...not so long, but enough for somebody to notice...I have put lotion in my hands daily...but it doesn´t seem to help to make my hands soft...

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
i beat my hands to hell and back. Yeah i know i do magic and yeah i know my hands are important. but i work hard and i dont act like a girl. No manicures, no lotions,. This week alone i have cuts on 7 of my 10 fingers and a big gash on the back of my right hand. Doesn't matter, i still flourish i still practice magic and i still get by just fine. Ive always been that way. I chop wood, i work with chemicals, i work with knives and i get injured but it happens and i just tough it out and eventually your hands toughen up.

i will say im not meaning to pass judgement on all who take better care of their hands. Professionals by all means should present hands that are at the very least good looking and not battle scene's like mine. I just dont think its necessary to go overboard like some do. I think keeping your nails trimmed is a good idea, but a manicure? come on.. lotion? why?

Last edited by a moderator:

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I use lotion because my hands get so dry that I can't get a grip on the cards some times. An example: You know how in some moves you have to push a card out of the deck with your pinky tip? Most days I can't do that without putting something on my finger to increase the moisture. My pinky will literally slide right over the card and never get purchase.

People notice your hands. Maybe not all of them, but definitely some. I can say this with confidence, because I notice them all the time, and it bothers me when I see non-cared for hands. If I were hiring a magician, and you walked in with cuts all over your hands, I wouldn't hire you.

Oct 12, 2009
Navarre, Florida
Its magic. Attention is divided among your face, your hands, and whatever you direct the audiences attention to with visual cues using your face and your hands. It stands to reason you'd want them to look nice.

Also, for what its worth, its a detail girls are likely to notice and appreciate. I've never heard a girl be like "OH AWESOME YOUR HANDS ARE LIKE SCARRED UP ROCKS COVERED IN SAND PAPER THATS SO HOT".

Its all personal preference though. They're your hands, you can do whatever you'd like with them.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results