Signature Card Trick Name?

Jul 15, 2009
Hi guys,

I just want to know the name and the creator of a particular trick that I self-discovered during my first year in magic.If you guys know of any similar trick or THE trick, please do tell me the name and creator.Here's the description...

EFFECT:
The performer turns over the top card on the deck and lets the 1st spectator sign the face of the card. The signed card is then turned face-down and is sandwiched between the 1st spectator's palm. Lets say the signed card is the 3 of clubs. The next card is turned over, its the 9 of spades. A 2nd spectator is asked to sign the back of the card and the signed card is then sandwiched between the 2nd spectator's palm. The deck is then placed aside. With a snap, the 1st spectator is asked to open her palms, and the 3 of clubs has changed to an indifferent card, with no signature. The 2nd spectator is asked to open her palm to find that her signature at the back of the 9 of spades is still there, indicating that it was still her card.But as she turns it around to reveal the face, it has changed into the 3 of clubs WITH THE 1ST SPECTATOR'S SIGNATURE...

Th card is given as a souvenir.

As much as I want to claim this as original since I self-discovered it during my first year in magic and that I didn't know much great magicians back then, I believe that its an effect to be researched first.DG, DnD, d+m and the other theory11 artists had not released a similar trick. Jay Sankey, although has lots of signed card tricks, have not have a similar plot.I've searched far and wide for a source of this trick.But still nothing.I want to give it a name and claim it as my creation but first I want to see if it has already been done before and I'll be very much happy to credit the magician and use the name he made for it.

Some of you might say that I had been using that same trick for years, okay that's fine, so tell me where you've learned it?Who made it?Self-made?Up to the end of the day, I'll be waiting for your replies...:)

Thanks in advance for your help...:D

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
It has been done many times before.

Sankey has something similar somewhere but hs presentation is that he wipes the ink off one card onto an other. Greg Wilson has it as the last phase of his blank out ACR.

Sorry kid perform it all the more but nothing original.

Jul 15, 2009
That's alright...Thanks for the info...Its not original.Thanks for the names, Sankey and Greg Wilson, I'll note that.Although the name is still missing?Original or variations I won't mind...

Jul 15, 2009
Not much, I'm alittle OC when it comes to name of effects, it makes it easier for me to relate it to other magicians.History of magic?I like to just go through the modern history, not the century old ones.

As for releasing the effect, that would be a great idea.Hehehe...Of course,i still need to fill the credits don't I.Maybe some time in future...

Thanks for the ACR, but sorry, I'm looking for something specific if you don't mind.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Ed Ellis uses an effect just like this as well but I don't think it is his nor did he publish it. It was just one of those things that we were sitting in his kitchen and he showed me.

The way he does it though is the spectator signs his first name on the back of a card and then signs his last name on the front of an indifferent card. The spectator later finds that both his first and last name are now on the same card.

Jul 15, 2009
thanks for the attempts guys.I appreciate reverharts reply, since its the closest that I could relate to the effect stated above.Jay Sankey's is not really that clear yet. He may have some crazy other variation but I guess he just utilizes the principle of the effects over and over again.Thanks guys...

Dec 14, 2007
Hi I believe that its an effect to be researched first.DG, DnD, d+m and the other theory11 artists had not released a similar trick. Jay Sankey, although has lots of signed card tricks, have not have a similar plot.I've searched far and wide for a source of this trick.But still nothing.

First, I commend you on caring. There is a reason magic history is important, and we will get to that.

I pulled the above quote because it frightens me. Looking to these people as research - let alone research far and wide - is like saying, 'I'm looking for a rare breed of fish, but I've only really looked inside this pail of water I scooped up on the beach near my vacation house."

Again, I appreciate that you even cared enough to look. Its just the magic sea is SO much bigger than that. I get worried when I see lists from people and they all feature the same 5 guys and the same 5 tricks.

Its like saying you want to be a writer, but the only thing you've ever read is Dan Brown.

But I digress.

The plot you have described was created by wesley james and has been in print in many variations for several decades.

While the actual proceedure may vary (some better than others) the fusion of the two cards (back and front) is wesley's.

Now, here's why studying magic history pays off. While you should be proud you have recreated a great moment through your own ingenuity, your variation is flawed. Where does the indifferent card come from? What does it have to do with what is allegedly happening? Are there clearer ways of structuring the effect?

As it stands, it is a nonsequitor. It does not fit the line of action.

Studying the original ideas will lead you to an understanding of what the 'effect' can be, and you can restructure your version so people aren't left with a random card appearing for no reason.

When we go back to source material we often learn important touches that get ommitted in the retelling. I have found ideas in books like scot and prevost that have been lost in most handling of evergreen effects that greatly improve their impact.

Plus, when you do material that everyone else has forgotten, you kind of look magical. How magical is biting a coin? How magical is biting a coin after everyone has seen it done on tv, done by that street guy who hangs around the mall, done by the other kid in your school who likes magic, and done by the guy behind the magic counter in vegas? Heck, he'll sell it to you!

When Blaine did it, everyone had forgotten about it. No one was doing it. It was magic - not a commodity.

So I will leave you to find wesley's book and begin exploring ways of moving your trick forward, by being informed with the past.

Aug 17, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Hi guys,

I just want to know the name and the creator of a particular trick that I self-discovered during my first year in magic.If you guys know of any similar trick or THE trick, please do tell me the name and creator.Here's the description...

EFFECT:
The performer turns over the top card on the deck and lets the 1st spectator sign the face of the card. The signed card is then turned face-down and is sandwiched between the 1st spectator's palm. Lets say the signed card is the 3 of clubs. The next card is turned over, its the 9 of spades. A 2nd spectator is asked to sign the back of the card and the signed card is then sandwiched between the 2nd spectator's palm. The deck is then placed aside. With a snap, the 1st spectator is asked to open her palms, and the 3 of clubs has changed to an indifferent card, with no signature. The 2nd spectator is asked to open her palm to find that her signature at the back of the 9 of spades is still there, indicating that it was still her card.But as she turns it around to reveal the face, it has changed into the 3 of clubs WITH THE 1ST SPECTATOR'S SIGNATURE...

Th card is given as a souvenir.

As much as I want to claim this as original since I self-discovered it during my first year in magic and that I didn't know much great magicians back then, I believe that its an effect to be researched first.DG, DnD, d+m and the other theory11 artists had not released a similar trick. Jay Sankey, although has lots of signed card tricks, have not have a similar plot.I've searched far and wide for a source of this trick.But still nothing.I want to give it a name and claim it as my creation but first I want to see if it has already been done before and I'll be very much happy to credit the magician and use the name he made for it.

Some of you might say that I had been using that same trick for years, okay that's fine, so tell me where you've learned it?Who made it?Self-made?Up to the end of the day, I'll be waiting for your replies...:)

Thanks in advance for your help...:D

I MADE IT!.... No actually I didn't, but I saw a video of this kid doing It on youtube. He didn't sa a name of the trick or creator. But there must have been someone who made it if he did it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results