Tricks that your audience remember ....

Dec 18, 2009
I'd just like to add a quote by Tom Isaacson from his profile on here:

"Aside from practicing the techniques and performances until they become instinctive- command respect from your audiences. Don’t jump and perform every time they ask; performance is an art. I think it was PT Barnum that said that “the first rule of show business is to always leave them wanting more.” An age old principle that is still universally applicable.

You will earn more of a reputation by doing a great effect once, and letting other people buzz about it than you could if you did the same thing 10 times for everyone. Don’t bend to the pressure. Wait for the right opportunity and make your performances a rare treat that they always remember and look forward to again and again."

Sep 20, 2009
One of the tricks I do that people remember best is the salt shaker trick (when you make it pass through the table, one of the first tricks I learnt - in How To Do Street Magic), I've done it to my mother 3-4 years ago and still, when she tells people I'm a magician that's the one she refers to.

good your mother supports you... me mum and dad doesn't support me a'tall

what version of Out of This World do you do? my version is far from impromptu so it rarely gets done, which is a disappointment because its so strong.

I do this version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTKThlZ97jQ

Plays out exactly the same as the original really. Using half the deck is good as it stops the trick being to long, but you can do this version with the whole deck (obviously). I knew the original before this version but had never done it as I always thought the trick was too tedious and didn't like the idea of using a whole deck set up. I do this version, however, nearly every time i do a few effects and have a surface available.

Rev

PS. before there are any misunderstandings, that is NOT me in the video! This is taken from the DVD I learned this trick off of.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
HOLY COW rev, i love that version of out of this world, and is impromptu, i'll definitely be looking into this more, is it only available at that UK shop?

HOLY COW rev, i love that version of out of this world, and is impromptu, i'll definitely be looking into this more, is it only available at that UK shop?

Just did a quick google search and found this in the US.

http://www.magicstor.com/DVDs/DVDs-...lume-2-by-Matthew-J-Dowden-DVD/prod_1244.html

Seemed there were a bunch of other places selling it as well. I highly recommend getting both these DVDs for great impromptu card magic. They are so cheap for what you get. Every routine is practically self working (not even as much as a double undercut or double lift is used!) but I use three or four of the tricks on these DVDS nearly every time I perform. A few of them really stumped me as well. Just goes to show once you get really into magic you can forget how good some of the really easy tricks are.

Rev

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois

http://www.magicstor.com/DVDs/DVDs-...lume-2-by-Matthew-J-Dowden-DVD/prod_1244.html

Seemed there were a bunch of other places selling it as well. I highly recommend getting both these DVDs for great impromptu card magic. They are so cheap for what you get. Every routine is practically self working (not even as much as a double undercut or double lift is used!) but I use three or four of the tricks on these DVDS nearly every time I perform. A few of them really stumped me as well. Just goes to show once you get really into magic you can forget how good some of the really easy tricks are.

Rev

AMEN!! haha exactly! i love it when i find an easy trick that plays big.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
I mean the idea of let's change the colours of each of of the piles never really made any sense to me. I want one pile to be completly red and one to be all black not half and half.

Oct 29, 2009
Just around

Rev

Thanks so much for that man! Out of This World is one of my favorite tricks to perform, so now when I get in the situation of not having my deck set up, and someone asks me to perform that trick (has happened before), I actually can. Definitely will keep my eye one this. Thanks again!

Cheers

Sep 20, 2009
I mean the idea of let's change the colours of each of of the piles never really made any sense to me. I want one pile to be completly red and one to be all black not half and half.

Do you dig Derren Browns Version then?

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
I love Derren's handling however I usally only do about 5 - 10 of each colour.

I feel that for a pure mentalism piece a full deck out of this world is too impossible. If we were to do the maths on just a 10 card version (just five of each for the sake of maths) we get expanded so i dont have to get the scientific calculator out;

5/10 * 4/9 * 3/8 * 2/7 * 1/6 = 120 / 30240 or approx 0.004 or about half a percent.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results