First Street Performance

Jun 22, 2009
sarnia Ont. Canada
Hey everyone, I am writing this thread for encouragement to other magicians. I have been performing for people in my school, friends and family for 6 years now. However I just recently had my first street experience. I was performing for a group of three in a concert line . I know what your thinking oh everyone is board in a line so they would be glad for some entertainment. However, this was my first time so it was pretty terrifying. I performed mainly for a guy named "big" Mike he was one of the most cool and accepting guy I have ever met. This was a great encouragement to have such a receptive guy. What was even cooler when he came up to me later and asked for a picture with me for "when I was famous". I was very happy to have taken this risk and step out on the street. The icing on the cake however was when I was standing on the balcony and I see "big" mike holding his wrist explaining how I had performed "Stigmata" for him. He was smiling and throwing his hands over his head recalling the amazement. This was the greatest encouragement when I saw how my performance had brought so much joy to one person that he had to pass it on to the next person. So I would like to give you the advice of getting out their even though you may embarrass yourself, and would like to give you the idea of the concert line to you. So get out their and enjoy. By the way please tell me your street experiences.
Thanks

Jun 1, 2009
Good story, thanks for sharing. Its always a good feeling to see your magic spread beyond that small time frame of when it just happened and you get people talking about you a while afterwards. Good job on getting out there, once you get more comfortable performing for strangers, its such a blast to go out and perform.

Here, maybe this will give you some more inspiration :D

Best,
Jacob

Nov 2, 2008
Arkansas
It can be addicting. I remember after my first "street" performance. I had this high feeling from fooling someone I had never met before. If that feeling makes you want to do it again then that is the only thing that matters. But be sure it is not just fooling them that makes you feel good but also knowing that you changed their lives, at least in some small way. I'm glad that you took that very important step. Hope you succeed in wherever this takes you.

ibmagic, glad to hear your performance went well. Jacob, I watched your video too, and you had some good performances on there. Might want to slow it down a bit though.

I'm going to take some grief for this, but I want to address an issue I see all the time in magic anymore: "street performances". It seems like everybodys goal is to "hit the streets" and "blow peoples minds" on their way to work, or while they're shopping, or basically by interrupting whatever daily task they might be up to. Everyone sees this on TV and thinks it's how magic should be performed. Then, they wonder why they get rejected, or get people who stand around for one trick and then leave. Newsflash: the reason you see people willing to stop and watch in awe when David Blaine or Criss Angel perform on the street is because they walk up with a huge camera/sound/lighting crew, producers and a huge celebrity and offer them a chance to be on a TV show. Or, sometimes, they just pay actors to fill the role. For the former, who wouldn't want to take up that opportunity? In normal cases, people who are on their way to work, or out shopping, or eating, or wherever they are, typically don't feel like stopping to watch a card trick. They don't feel like watching you do a card trick, or me do a card trick, or any other non-celebrity magician for that matter. When did magic performances go from being paid entertainment gigs to "guerrilla style ambush magic", trying to hold someones attention who isn't even there to see magic? I'll admit, when I was newer to magic, and Criss Angel first came out, I thought the idea was cool, and I wanted to get out there and hit the streets too, but after talking with real magicians (see: getting paid, with an actual structured show), I realized how ridiculous this was.

That said, Jacob, you did pick your audience members well at certain points, sticking to the younger kids in the food court, who were just sitting around hanging out. I think those would be your best bet for a receptive audience, since they're young and often willing to watch an unexpected magic show, and were just sitting around talking. And yes, people waiting in line for a concert also make for a good audience.

Want to really be a performer? Why not try going and getting a job at a restaurant or bar, or at a club that has a line of people waiting outside? Go out and get a regular gig going where you can get paid for what you do! Somewhere that people might actually start remembering that you perform at X location, and come to see you. This is basically what you're already doing, but in an environment where people are more apt to want to see you perform, and you're even getting paid!

I know my opinion isn't a popular one around here. Like I said, I know I'm going to take some crap for this, but I just couldn't keep my mouth shut. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results