Small Hands?

Apr 12, 2010
So I have been getting into the flourishes and card magic but seem to get caught up with the complex that I have small hands.
My friend says that it's not because of that, but I beg to differ.
I watch magic videos and clips and notice that all the professionals, or people just as good, have long fingers and a wide palm.
Is this already the end of my journey to do what so many of you can do?
I hope not.
Any advice???
Thanks in advance!

Small hands shouldn't be a problem, I know that there are many threads on small hands so if you Search them up you shold find some stuff there. If none of that works for you the only thing that I can think of is using a bridge deck instead of the standard size.

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
small hand shouldnt be an obstacle for magic, but it may be one for flourishing.
Most sleights just require practice while some flourishes do require long thumbs and what not.

Dec 12, 2009
London Uk
One of the greatest close up magicians had small hands, Max Malini.
He could hardly cover a palmed card or even do a colour change properly with out showing the borders of the playing cards in his hands. So what did he do?
He made his own techniques for Side Slips and colour changes, he would use misdirection and great timing so any spectator would not be able to notice that he has cards in his hands.

So try and make variations on techniques that you find are harder because of your small hands, try and use misdirection and timing so anything you do that you think would be affected by your small hands would pass by unnoticed.

It will be harder but just try rather than just give up.

If you want to know more about Malini, buy Malini and his magic By Dai vernon.
Its his life and how malini did magic and has a lot on how he used timing etc etc.
In there is also Malinis colour change, you can learn from it to help make your own techniques and variations.

Good luck :D

Jan 26, 2008
Sweden
Also you dont need to be able to do every move. If a move does not feel right just find another one that feels better and gets the work done.

If a palm or a pass feels wrong for you just find another move to get the job done.

Feb 22, 2010
Mosina, Poland
Small hands aren't big problem. Look at Wayne Houchin, he has small hands and he is great magician. Of course if you have bigger hands than better to hide something, but if you can misdirection you audience you will do everything with no problem :D.

S.G

Feb 9, 2010
As far as flourishing goes, I have pretty small hands and I can do some things that I thought I could never do. You might just have to put a little bit more practice than some others, but that shouldn't be too bad.

Aug 17, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Well, like said before don't let small hands get in the way of your wantingness. I have big hands and its hard for me to palm cards and stuff of that sort. But I just do made up variations that fit me, you don't have to do it exactly like they show you... Atleast for magic. I don't know about flourishing because I don't really do it.

-blake.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Small hands shouldn't stop you. As mentioned in this thread, look up Mahdi Gilbert's turnover pass. You'll know what you see it, he's the guy with no hands.

Your hands and fingers will get more flexible and strong over time. When I first started magic, I couldn't even do a Charlier Cut. I thought my fingers were physically too small to do the move. Now I can do it no problem. There's also that cut where you put the deck in straddle grip near your fingertips, then cut it with your thumb by swinging it over to the side. I couldn't do that for months, now I can do it with two full decks in the box.

It's usually not a matter of if you can, but a matter of are you dedicated enough to figure it out.

Small hands shouldn't stop you. As mentioned in this thread, look up Mahdi Gilbert's turnover pass. You'll know what you see it, he's the guy with no hands.

Your hands and fingers will get more flexible and strong over time. When I first started magic, I couldn't even do a Charlier Cut. I thought my fingers were physically too small to do the move. Now I can do it no problem. There's also that cut where you put the deck in straddle grip near your fingertips, then cut it with your thumb by swinging it over to the side. I couldn't do that for months, now I can do it with two full decks in the box.

It's usually not a matter of if you can, but a matter of are you dedicated enough to figure it out.

Exactly (scissor cut by the way ;) ) as long as you push yourself to be able the over come the size boundry you should be fine. Many people talk about the size of their hands being a problem, I can't vouch for that as I have decent sized hands, but if you personalize the moves more to suit your size things should go over fine

Ashrei

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Lee Asher hasn't been mentioned I guess. His hands are pretty small too. He makes things work for him still, and even though I have pretty long fingers (though bony) and rather large palm, that doesn't mean I do any sleights better than him. I would say disadvantages are excuses to work harder.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results