Cups and Balls - Anyone?

Apr 1, 2008
Hi,

i want to learn the cups and balls,
but do not know which cups to buy.
I love the metal ones, but which ones do you buy?
I don't have much experience in this field,
so I'm relying on your experience which are good and not too expensive ;)

thanks!

Jul 13, 2009
Well any of the generic brand brass cups and balls should work fine if you are not to serious about your cups. However I suggest picking up a set of cups and balls from RNT2. They are pricey but in magic you often get what you pay for. Also if you go generic, I wouldn't bother with the combo chop cup. The gaffed cup is very top heavy, or is it bottom heavy? Also the cheaper ones tend to dent easily, so be careful about dropping them.

If you want a nice comprehensive dvd on the subject, I suggest Michael Ammar's work, or the dvd "Complete Course in Magic with Cups & Balls".

Silver

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Well any of the generic brand brass cups and balls should work fine if you are not to serious about your cups. However I suggest picking up a set of cups and balls from RNT2. They are pricey but in magic you often get what you pay for. Also if you go generic, I wouldn't bother with the combo chop cup. The gaffed cup is very top heavy, or is it bottom heavy? Also the cheaper ones tend to dent easily, so be careful about dropping them.

If you want a nice comprehensive dvd on the subject, I suggest Michael Ammar's work, or the dvd "Complete Course in Magic with Cups & Balls".

Silver

The RNT2 sets are really nice, but probably not something you want to get if you are just starting out. On the flip side, I have a "cheap" set (either Uday or MAK) and they work fine but are, as Silver said, easily dented. I think a good "in-between" set would be the Morrissey:

http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/morrissey-cups-and-balls-aluminum-by-morrissey-magic-p-2033.html

http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/chop-cups-and-balls-combo-aluminum-large-p-2040.html

The combo sets with a chop cup are great for starting out in that they allow you to do things that you couldn't do just starting off. But, as Silver said, the weight is different (that hasn't been a big deal for me) and the space inside the cup is smaller (which is a problem for me since some final loads don't fit as well in those cups). Also, the way the gimmick works requires you to keep track of where the chop cup and gimmicked ball are at all times in your routine. It's not hard to do if you plan your routine correctly, but it requires some thought. However, you eventually learn to accomplish the same effects as a chop cup merely by using slight of hand.

All that being said, my next set will probably be a "regular" set without a chop cup from RNT2 or Mikame.

I have the Eddy Ray Complete Course in Magic with Cups and Balls DVDs and those DVDs teach you what you need to know, but the Ammar set is probably better (but twice the price). There also is Street Cups DVD by Gazzo and 3 DVDs by L&L / World's Greatest Magic. I don't have any of those, but Gazzo is a master and the L&L DVDs are always good in that they have several magicians such as Frank Garcia, Dai Vernon and Alex Elmsley perform and explain their routines.

If you are just looking to learn the basics, there is a great routine in Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic. Every magician should have that book anyway. Again, if you are just learning the basics, the "cheap" cups and balls sets aren't bad.

The Stars of Magic book has (among other things) Dai Vernon's "Impromptu Cups and Balls" routine which doesn't require purchasing any cups or balls. I've actually done a routine with plastic cups purchased at Target and mini marshmallows (the final vanish tastes really good).

Ashrei

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
I do the one Bill Malone does with cheap plastic cups and balls.
I love it.

I Love This trick. Just watch and look at the size of your cups mine are just small enough to not fit apples, peaches, or oranges. once you know how the routine is put together u can do endless things with this trick its great good luck!

Dec 10, 2007
I have a set of Paul Fox cups from RNT2 and I love them . I highly recommend them. If you are just starting out, go buy some real cheap ones (maybe even plastic) to practice with while you save the money to buy a nice set. The plastic ones do everything metal ones would but they don't look quite as nice and are much cheaper.

The person that recommended the Ammar DVDs is correct. Those are the best things I have found on teaching you everything you need to know to do the cups and balls. It teaches everything from the beginning sleights, to the advanced, to routines. It really is the "Complete" cups and balls.

If you also need a wand (most vanishes use one), then you should check out Ammar's site for the Mercury wand. This is the one I use and it's great. It has a good weight to it, and is perfectly balanced (perfect for wand spins).

The balls will most likely come with what ever set you choose to buy, and for final loads starting out you can just use hacky sacks. They are cheep, easy to load and never rot lol. Later you may move to fruit when performing, or use the "Fab fruit" Ammar sells on his site. They look great and even if people pick them up, they still think they are real.

Basically go to Ammarmagic.com for everything you need to know haha.

Hi,

i want to learn the cups and balls,
but do not know which cups to buy.
I love the metal ones, but which ones do you buy?
I don't have much experience in this field,
so I'm relying on your experience which are good and not too expensive ;)

thanks!

Lance Burton did a great routine (think it was very similar to Dai Vernon's) using just three cheap coffee mugs of different colours he got from a discount store, then he gave them away at the end. I liked that as it really sold the idea that it was his own skill that was doing the magic and not some fancy prop. Which, in all fairness, is true.

Rev

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Lance Burton did a great routine (think it was very similar to Dai Vernon's) using just three cheap coffee mugs of different colours he got from a discount store, then he gave them away at the end. I liked that as it really sold the idea that it was his own skill that was doing the magic and not some fancy prop. Which, in all fairness, is true.

Rev

that`s where I got the inspiration for mine!!!

it is one of the more awesome routines I have ever seen!!!

Mar 11, 2008
Houston, TX
You could always go the Penn and Teller route and use red Solo cups. Afterwards, entertain yourself and the crowd with a nice, quick game of beer pong.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results