Perform for the Dying

Jan 17, 2010
Kentucky
I thought that I would share this with everyone.

My girlfriend works at a local daycare with around 20 children or so. I've gotten really close to all of them over the past year or so and even went over and done a few tricks for all of them which they loved. Well, over the past few months there is this child that really got my attention. Everytime I go to that daycare she gives me a hug and ask to see a trick. Keeping in mms thay she is only 3, I have to do things that are very visual and something that she can understand. I soon found out a few days ago that she is slowly dying of kidney failure and probably won't live to much longer. It's something that has really made me feel terrible since I found out. What I'm saying is that OUR art (some will argue about it being an art) can take a child that is dying, put away her fear of death, take her away from reality, and take her to some place different. Some place, even for a minute, that allows her not to worry about death. Please pray for this little girl. That's why I perform. How about you?

Jul 14, 2008
I will definitely pray hard for this girl, but I am so surprised that she is only three year old! It is sad to see that she has so much life ahead of her, but the setback can get in the way of her happiness.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
A couple of our IBM ring members were out to dinner one evening and we had a discussion about this very topic. That sometimes you will get called to do a child's "last" birthday party gig. Many of them said it was one of the most emotional things they've ever had to do. Many of them said they had tears either prior to the performance or upon leaving the home. I cannot even imagine.

Remember though, you were that person that made a difference and a memory for that child and family. One of our members said that after the birthday party gig for a terminally ill boy, the boy asked him if he would do just one last special trick over in the corner of the room for just him and that nobody else could see. The magician replied, "of course" and he said the boys eyes and smile lit up the entire room.

These are the special things fellas. That's real magic.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
I have a gig for kids with cancer on april 30...

I am a very emotional person so I am afraid to go...

I have to put my emotions aside, because I really want to give a great show, for the kids...since it maybe the last one for some of them...I even get to learn kids magic, because my magic is rated 18+...and I am planing to bring gifts for the kids...

Death is a natural beautiful thing... For children it is a lot harder to accept and watch. Just give the kids a show of a life time and do not hold back. Make them believe anything is possible.

That in it self might keep them alive for much longer then they ever imagined. Because if you believe anything is possible ...

Anything IS possible.

morpheis91

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2007
Philadelphia
www.myspace.com
I have never had to perform for kids on their death bed but I have had to perform for kids with disabilities and autism. Every year I do a gig for the Variety Club and some of the kids there bring tears to my eyes. But in all honest when I perform I treat them like normal kids because thats what they love.

As for your situation I will pray for a miracle!
Back to the question Why do I perform?

I do magic for a number of reasons here are a few:

-I love the possibility of having a positive impact on someones life.

-I love giving people an experience unlike any other. I make them believe that the impossible can happen and is within our grasps

-I also do magic for self-gratification. I do gigs and that makes me happy but I love learning new moves and sleights. I often hear magicians asking "Why would you learn that if your never gonna use it in a gig?" well I say "Because it makes me happy. Plus I have good presentation why not add superb technical abilities as well"

Sep 1, 2008
Los Angeles
all in all, I've heard it's a life changing experience. I have not done one before, but in the near future I hope to as well. I remember my friend had performed at the magic castle for kids that were terminally ill, and had cancer, and he said it was an amazing experience. So those who still are considering wether to perform at these kinds of events, I say go for it. :D

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
This is an amazing thread - you guys have shared some incredible stories. A few years ago I did a performance at the Children's Hospital in my hometown for the kids there - and I remember every bit of it to this day. Here in NYC, Bill Kalush, Ricky Smith, Doug McKenzie, and David Blaine operate a program called Hocus Pocus in which they (and various other magicians in the area) perform at hospitals and schools for disadvantaged youths. It's a phenomenal program that they stick to weekly - every Tuesday.

For some more information on Hocus Pocus, check this out:

http://conjuringarts.org/hocus-pocus/

Nov 10, 2007
I thought that I would share this with everyone.

My girlfriend works at a local daycare with around 20 children or so. I've gotten really close to all of them over the past year or so and even went over and done a few tricks for all of them which they loved. Well, over the past few months there is this child that really got my attention. Everytime I go to that daycare she gives me a hug and ask to see a trick. Keeping in mms thay she is only 3, I have to do things that are very visual and something that she can understand. I soon found out a few days ago that she is slowly dying of kidney failure and probably won't live to much longer. It's something that has really made me feel terrible since I found out. What I'm saying is that OUR art (some will argue about it being an art) can take a child that is dying, put away her fear of death, take her away from reality, and take her to some place different. Some place, even for a minute, that allows her not to worry about death. Please pray for this little girl. That's why I perform. How about you?

Thank you for sharing this, because now she will can have much more hope knowing that several people will be praying for her including me. Please if you ever meet her parents let them know we are praying for her.

Sep 7, 2008
I perform weekly (volunteer) for both a nursing home and a children's hospital. I never used to perform at these locations as I thought it wouldn't be wanted, but after doing it once it is requested every week. I love performing for the residents and it definitely makes them forget what else is going on in their life. So far, it's been a great experience.

I highly recommend volunteering in your community to entertain some local people; they really appreciate it!

Jeff

Jan 17, 2010
Kentucky
As far as her parents go, from what I have been told, her dad isn't around and her mom is more worried about her drugs than anything. She barely spends the night with family and is usually put off on friends of the mother. When you step back and look at the issues that these children have, all of the sudden your problems aren't really that bad after all. I mean, these children know something that I would NEVER want to know, which is their life span. Some of them know that they only have a few weeks, years, or even days to live. I wouldn't want to know that.

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
this life is nothing, i actually envy those kids. and its not because i'm depressed sick and hate life. i have to gauge myself around terminally ill people, because my opinions about death may offend people, even those who claim to believe what i do.

just remember guys, someday that little girl and all the others mentioned and all the ones your thinking of but maybe not posting about, will wake up someday in their Fathers arms, experiencing a Love that i dream of at night. and daydream about during math class. its a beautiful wonderful amazing love. i tear up thinking about it sometimes.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Guys...this is a great thread. Please do not let it head into a religious debate or it will have to close. I'm a christian as well, but other members on here may become offended and may have different views.

I would love to hear more stories about magicians who have performed for special needs children or sick children. They are very motivating and should be recognized more. I love the Hocus Pocus group that JB was talking about earlier. Great idea.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
I'm currently working on a cruise ship as a fitness director (that's why I'm no longer on these forums, or any other) and we had a big charity thing that went on for month and a half, and it ended yesterday.

We visited 3 orphanages in the Mexico, brought kids all kinds of presents, and collected money over that month and a half, and gathered more than $2000 to give to the kids. And than finale was yesterday when all those kids came on board the ship, and we showed them around. They said that many of those kids never even saw an elevator, let alone be in one.

Anyways, when we were visiting, I did some magic for the kids. And you can not describe in words their faces and excitement. They are not dying or disabled, but they are still orphans, and it meant a lot to them, and meant even more to me.

If you ever have a chance to do anything similar, PLEASE do it, there is no better feeling in the world.

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
i'm reminded of a performance. but the little girl wasnt dying or an orphan. but she was just a six or seven year old who was at my high school for some carnival they were having, and during passing periods i saw her eating a poptart with her big sister who i knew.

so i walked over pulled a half dollar out of her ear and then did a frenchdrop.

the little girl smiled the biggest tooth-less smile i've ever seen and through a mouth full of poptart said

"aaasfgiooiusgaasdghjin!!!!"

thats mouthfulanese for "again!!!!" so i did two more frenchdrops and went to class. it was a great performance and i really rejuvenated my passion for magic. great experience

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results