Crush Review

Nov 11, 2007
I received Crush two days ago and I personally have mixed feelings about the effect. I will not go into a review of the video production quality or teaching efficiency as it is 10/10, as I'm sure we've all come expect by now from T11. I'm gonna focus on simply the gimmicked and ungimmicked version of the effect.

GIMMICKED VERSION: The gimmick itself is well-made and thought-out, and it certainly works fine. However, after rigging mine up for a practice run, I do find the set-up to be rather cumbersome and inconvenient for a majority of performing situations. In the full performance section of the DVD, before I knew the secret, I could clearly see a kind of awkwardness in Eric's demeanor while performing the gimmicked version.
Furthermore, just because the description of the effect states the bottle "can" be borrowed, does not mean the bottle can "always" be borrowed. As a matter of fact, I was unable to perform the gimmicked version with the first two bottles I tried to use from my home. Sure, the gimmick will work for a good portion of bottles, however, there are a number of different variables that can prevent you from borrowing the bottle. These variables I cannot not go into at risk of exposure.
Personally, I think this version of Crush is most suitable for a TV spot or promo. 6/10

UNGIMMICKED VERSION: This is where, in my opinion, the effect shines. Like a lot of great magic, the simple and seemingly obvious can be downright astonishing with the right presentation. Even with the limitations of not being able to borrow the bottle at all; this is overshadowed by fact that the effect is self working, hands on or off, no clean up, and you don't have to worry of flashing or feeling restrained or awkward.
Some might have a problem that this version does not produce as dramatic a crush as the gimmicked version, however I think if you overdo the crush sequence with the gimmick, it tips the method for reasons I obviously can't say. All you need is a couple audible sounds and a clearly visible difference at the end for it to be effective.
There is also a time restraint on the this version, but once again, it is overshadowed by the advantages. Simply perform a quick piece of mentalism before ungimmicked Crush and it will all seem as impromptu as anything else. 8/10

Overall, I am sincerely glad T11 decided to use both methods, as I would probably be a bit disappointed if they hadn't.

P.S. Poland Spring are now making bottles with 30% less plastic and I pretty sure other big companies will follow suit in the coming years. Although I haven't used one of these bottles yet, I believe it should make Crush look even more drastic.

hduarte1

Elite Member
Jul 2, 2008
Akatsuki Hideout
I received Crush two days ago and I personally have mixed feelings about the effect. I will not go into a review of the video production quality or teaching efficiency as it is 10/10, as I'm sure we've all come expect by now from T11. I'm gonna focus on simply the gimmicked and ungimmicked version of the effect.

GIMMICKED VERSION: The gimmick itself is well-made and thought-out, and it certainly works fine. However, after rigging mine up for a practice run, I do find the set-up to be rather cumbersome and inconvenient for a majority of performing situations. In the full performance section of the DVD, before I knew the secret, I could clearly see a kind of awkwardness in Eric's demeanor while performing the gimmicked version.
Furthermore, just because the description of the effect states the bottle "can" be borrowed, does not mean the bottle can "always" be borrowed. As a matter of fact, I was unable to perform the gimmicked version with the first two bottles I tried to use from my home. Sure, the gimmick will work for a good portion of bottles, however, there are a number of different variables that can prevent you from borrowing the bottle. These variables I cannot not go into at risk of exposure.
Personally, I think this version of Crush is most suitable for a TV spot or promo. 6/10

UNGIMMICKED VERSION: This is where, in my opinion, the effect shines. Like a lot of great magic, the simple and seemingly obvious can be downright astonishing with the right presentation. Even with the limitations of not being able to borrow the bottle at all; this is overshadowed by fact that the effect is self working, hands on or off, no clean up, and you don't have to worry of flashing or feeling restrained or awkward.
Some might have a problem that this version does not produce as dramatic a crush as the gimmicked version, however I think if you overdo the crush sequence with the gimmick, it tips the method for reasons I obviously can't say. All you need is a couple audible sounds and a clearly visible difference at the end for it to be effective.
There is also a time restraint on the this version, but once again, it is overshadowed by the advantages. Simply perform a quick piece of mentalism before ungimmicked Crush and it will all seem as impromptu as anything else. 8/10

Overall, I am sincerely glad T11 decided to use both methods, as I would probably be a bit disappointed if they hadn't.

P.S. Poland Spring are now making bottles with 30% less plastic and I pretty sure other big companies will follow suit in the coming years. Although I haven't used one of these bottles yet, I believe it should make Crush look even more drastic.

I also thought that the ungimmick version is very clever and I believe it was worth the price of the whole DVD. Like you said the gimmick version gives you more of a drastic crush but people may get suspicious. So the ungimmick version is just awesome in my opinion.

HD

Mar 12, 2009
So I need to carry around something extra to perform the ungimmicked version?

if that`s true, how easy is to carry around that "something"?

No, you don't carry something extra around, it's only the bottle.
But there is a time-limit on the ungimmicked version.

Apr 22, 2009
So I need to carry around something extra to perform the ungimmicked version?

if that`s true, how easy is to carry around that "something"?

You have to use your own bottle to perform the ungimmicked version. You can prepare it reall easily though.

Mar 21, 2010
If I'm mistaken, (hopefully), the UNGIMMICKED VERSION isn't the same old science experiement to accomplish just this.

Apr 29, 2010
I also thought that the ungimmick version is very clever and I believe it was worth the price of the whole DVD. Like you said the gimmick version gives you more of a drastic crush but people may get suspicious. So the ungimmick version is just awesome in my opinion.

HD

The ungimmicked version is nothing original. While not published as a magic effect, it is something one could learn in a science book. I do hope the creator did not take all the full credit for this.

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
The ungimmicked version is nothing original. While not published as a magic effect, it is something one could learn in a science book. I do hope the creator did not take all the full credit for this.

Of course, Eric does not take scientific credit for the physics behind this technique and how it works in this particular trick - any more than Anders Moden would take credit for how Healed and Sealed works, or the guy that sells slush powder for whatever people do with slush powder.

With respect to Eric, let's refrain from discussing specifics of either technique behind this effect.

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
whatever people do with slush powder.

LOL :p

A lot of great magic relies on science, I've never had anyone call me out on the method EVER when performing the ungimmicked method though - So don't sweat it!

Also, the BASIC methodology is never the entire methodology, so even if you have an idea of how that particular version is roughly performed, the structure and fine technique are still worth learning. As noted, Eric worked for years on this, with Dan and the other T11 chaps by his side for the last 6 months refining everything further.

Anyone on the edge, it's WORTH.THE.DOLLAH.FOOL!!! :p

Best,

DCx

DanielH

Elite Member
Apr 21, 2010
if you crush the can with the gimmicked version can you then crush it more with the ungimmicked? i mean without touching it or anything

Sep 1, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I figured out what I believe to be the ungimmicked version from previous experiances. If it isnt the actual method it sure is another way to do it. But I do have a question. In the gimmicked version, can you crush the monster can or is it just the ungimmicked version

May 3, 2008
Is the gimmick bulky enough to be seen through a dress shirt? Aside from that, I never wear sleeves so I'm not sure if it'll work for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results