Essential Magic Books

Apr 15, 2010
Hey, I'm new to the forums, so go lightly on me if I'm posting something wrong or if it's been posted.

So my question: What are essential magic books that you think everyone should read if you're serious about magic?

I've already purchases the expert at the card table, expert card technique, and modern coin magic. These were a few essentials I've seen around that are good for anyone to read and includes a lot. Your ideas would be helpful!

Maybe a link to the product or whatever works would be great too!

Jan 13, 2008
You'll find a good list here. It was posted as a suggested reading list for Magic-Con 2010, by Raiker. :)

Apr 6, 2010
More specifically out of that list, for a beginner, i recommend 'Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic' and, if you are aiming to focus on card magic, 'The Royal Road to Card Magic'. I was recommended both as being the best for a beginner and amateur alike.

Trust me, they are invaluable.

Steve

Jan 26, 2008
Sweden
Essential for who? I think it depends on what you want to do.

My list would be:

Royal road to card magic.
Card college vol 1 and 2.
Bobos Modern coin magic.
Juan Tamariz 5 points in magic.
Darwin Ortis Strong magic.
Darwin Ortiz Designing miracles.

With that information i think you would be able to do about 90% of the material that is in print or on dvds. If there is some more obscure sleights that you would like to learn you can just pick it up along the way.

Essential for who? I think it depends on what you want to do.

My list would be:

Royal road to card magic.
Card college vol 1 and 2.
Bobos Modern coin magic.
Juan Tamariz 5 points in magic.
Darwin Ortis Strong magic.
Darwin Ortiz Designing miracles.
This guy has the right Idea, I'd change it a little and say

Mark Wilson's Complete Course
Or
Joshua Jay's Magic: The Complete Course (both are invaluable and amazing in their own rights)
Royal Road to Card Magic
Bobo's Modern Coin Magic
Strong Magic by Darwin Ortiz
and of course: The Amateur Magician's Handbook by Henry Hay (best book ever.)

Welcome to the Forums!

All the best,
-Chase

The Art Of Astonishment Books by Paul Harris & Organic by Dan & Dave.

Personally, what I got out of these books didn't really have much to do with the effects that were presented. I came away with a better understanding of magic, a better way of looking at things. I believe they're essential reading material for someone serious about magic.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results