One liners

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I agree with praetoritevong, but I want to make one point. People forget cards even when you ask them to remember them. Hell, I forget cards some times if I see more than a few card tricks near each other. For instance, when people do card tricks at our local magic club meetings, I write down the selection in the margins of my notebook (I'm club secretary, I write the minutes), because if I don't I'll forget the selection after seeing so many effects.

When you use audience participation, you're putting the spotlight onto someone. You're making them part of the performance. That makes some people nervous. They are probably not performers, and they didn't expect to be part of the show when they got there. That can make it more difficult to remember what they need to remember.

I agree that the people that forget cards, or didn't see the cards, are not hecklers. But don't assume that just because someone forgot a card they must have amnesia. This is why you have more than one person look at the card. Even Ricky Jay does this, and he's a great performer.

Jul 13, 2009
...hey! what's with the mr.high and mighty? if you wanna aggravate the heckler it's your choice ...for me to exert an effort for a heckler is like talkin or debating to a drunk guy ...so what's the point? ...your just making a fool out of yourself and that's what the heckler wants and he'll get if you entertain him ...there is a no win battle in dealing with a heckler ...this is my opinion based on learning some tips from older and proffessional magicians and also my experienced ...again watch david stones DVD,there are some pointers on dealing with the hecklers ...and if the problem is the heckler it's not a real problem then,all you have to do is go to another spectator that is more worthy of your entertainment in magic

Who the heck says paling around with a heckler is aggravating them? If they push I will push back but in a nice manor. IDK if you really perform or not but, I have found my own personal niche for dealing with people who like to heckle, that niche is to heckle back in a platonic way. This however is not the right way for most people.

To just give up and roll over and not entertain your participants which you basically said here:
...again watch david stones DVD,there are some pointers on dealing with the hecklers ...and if the problem is the heckler it's not a real problem then,all you have to do is go to another spectator that is more worthy of your entertainment in magic​

I had to quote that all because I have no idea when your sentences begin or end.
Anyway to roll over is not the way to go, why let one person ruin everyone's fun? I personally do not get many hecklers, one reason being I take a long while to get to know people before performing any magic. IE I socialize before even taking out a deck of cards, making sure to build a good rapport from first impressions all the way to lasting impressions.

Socializing and making friends within 3 seconds is something I have to do from day to day life at my job (Six flags rides operator ^^ huzzah!), I only see my guests to my ride for at most a minute before they are gone. Yet! I am able to make enough of an impact to make everyone want to see me again, or if they do see me again they immediately begin interacting with me. Personally I learned how to deal with hecklers by socializing with strangers.

Sure you learn from the older professional magicians, but you can't take everything they say and use it like a bible to a devote. You got to explore it for yourself, the best kind of knowledge isn't learned in books, it is learned on the street.

Now time to read Prae's post and going off of my previous experiences with him, he is prolly going to say things about raport as well. I'll see right now...

Jul 13, 2009
Another one from this thread: "What's that in your hand?"

Should we put down the "heckler"?

Hell, no! You ****ed up! Go home, and practice more!

It's clear that what has happened in that you made a handling error. Why on earth would you even consider putting someone down for your own mistake?

And if he's pointing to an obviously empty hand - "Pixie dust." - No need to put down the poor spectator in any case!

Great post, and I just want to add, you should probably thank the spectator for pointing out your mistake. Cause really they just helped you.

Mar 22, 2009
Eugene Burger has some superb advice relating to hecklers in his booklet Secrets and Mysteries for the Close-Up Entertainer, which was reprinted in Mastering the Art of Magic by Kaufman. He also mentions the same points in his audio series (available in MP3 format on his website) Growing in the Art of Magic.

He offers some similar advice to some of the points mentioned by Prae above and basically calls for a shift in how we assign people the title of heckler. Often when someone just wants to be involved in a magical performance we classify them as a heckler, when they just want to take part in the interactive nature of close-up magic.

Alternately you can just ignore this and go back to trading insulting one-liners that make a "heckler" look like a fool and yourself look like a unlikeable tool in the process.

Reactions: DanK5
Sep 1, 2007
"I don't know what your problem is,
but I'll bet it's hard to pronounce!

How about never? Is never good for you?

I see you've set aside this special time
to humiliate yourself in public

I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter.

It sounds like English, but I can't understand a word you're saying.[/QUOTE]"

Hahaha, very nice. I think I will have to use a couple of these.

Everyone has made some really great supportive arguments.

Entertainment comes in many shapes and forms; from the classy charming conjurer to the witty, alpha male, con-like artist. I have an appreciation to all the different types of variety, all the different fresh approaches. It really does separate the pros from the hobbyist. There is a commitment to each their own character. Sometimes there really is a method behind all the madness.

Feb 16, 2010
@ UM93,

in reference to the hecklers that aim to mess up your tricks, you need to be confident in your performance that you legitimately messed up the trick. If that makes any sense at all... Body language, posture, and tone of voice are key here. A perfect example for a trick where this comes into play is the Detroit Drop. *The DD is a Reset routine with a kickback*

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results