The.Machine

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
Hey everyone. I'm offering a free PDF called The.Machine, however, it will only be given out to 5 people for now. PM me with your email and the first 5 people to do so will receive a copy. If you're interested in it afterward, let me know and we'll work something out. I'm slighty considering marketing these, though it's highly unlikely.

I'll briefly go over the effects.

Hostage - The spectator throws their selection into a dribble and miraculously manages to place it between the two jokers!
Blink - A snap change variation.
BCV - You screw off the cap from a bottle, and cleanly vanish it. It is then revealed anywhere.
FSF - A versatile force with no catch whatsoever.
Royal Glitch - An odd sandwiched collectors transpo blah effect.
Flicker Change - You hand out a card to a spectator and it changes on the way, visually.
Thoughts on Shock, my PDF available for free at http://impossibilityfactor.weebly.com, which also needs reviews.

I'll post videos of the effects soon.

Ian

Oct 29, 2009
Just around
I didn't really like it. The move where you take off the "sandwiches" and place them on the table look very unnatural. Also the weird move where you take all the cards on the table, square them, then do some really fishy "squaring" the already squared pack looked reaaaaaaaaaly fishy.

I'd say just clean it up a bit, and use some more efficient sleights, or work a lot on the ones your using now.

Hope this helps you out.:)

Cheers

Mar 18, 2009
the royal glitch demo was, no offense, pretty bad. if your going to give people a pdf of your stuff, you really should perfect it all first. and that was far from decent. and i suggest finding another move to do at the end of that trick, because the "squaring of the packet" was horrible.

so yeah man, work on it.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I read these two reviews on the demo first, and at first I had no idea why it was so negative. The handling could use some work, sure, but... And then it got to around 50 secs in and... I'm guessing you probably already know this, but there was a few seconds of I can't believe someone put that on YouTube...

I'm all for people putting things up that they create - but if you do create something, make sure you can at least perform it well yourself!

Also, the effect wasn't clear. It was only now, writing this post a minute after watching, that I realised that two cards actually "disappeared" - I just completely didn't think of it like that. You need to make sure that the effect is clear, because currently it lacks clarity.

The other thing is just that you need to get used to the trick. You don't seem to have practiced or performed it enough times because the moves are not second nature. Your left hand fiddles with the deck and your right fiddles with individual sandwiches. To convey control you need to be familiar with both.

It reminds me of the majority of flourishers, who, when putting together a flourishing video, never use one straight cut. Instead, they have a shot of one move, straight into another move, straight into another. Why? Because they're just plain incompetent with a deck of cards, and they're hiding the fact that they fidget, fiddle and act like an epileptic whilst trying to transition between one move and the next.

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
Scarecrow1 and magyk11: Wow, I had no idea there was that huge of a flash until now. Thanks for pointing that out guys. I'm definitely taking that down. A good point of how you can look at just the big picture but not the finer details.

I'll be sure to watch that in the future. :)

Also, people, read the thread. Sorry Chris, but all the free copies have been given out. See the OP for details, please.

Ian

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Scarecrow1 and magyk11: Wow, I had no idea there was that huge of a flash until now. Thanks for pointing that out guys. I'm definitely taking that down. A good point of how you can look at just the big picture but not the finer details.

I'll be sure to watch that in the future. :)

Also, people, read the thread. Sorry Chris, but all the free copies have been given out. See the OP for details, please.

Ian

Mate, I can definitely sympathise. I remember filming a short effect to get some feedback on my gravity half pass. It was only after someone pointed it out to me that I saw that I had performed possibly the worst spread pass I've ever seen in the very same video. >.>

Also, you might wanna PM the guys you sent it to.

Also, a tip for next time: If you want to spread your material, don't send it to whoever's online. The average member knows nothing. Sorry, but it's true. If you want real feedback, send it to someone who's well known and has established a good reputation in the industry; if your work is inspired by someone, a development on someone, or has previously been written on extensively by someone, then try and reach that someone to comment on your work (e.g. If you created an ACAAN effect, the first people you would want to send that baby to would be David Berglas, followed by guys like John Born, Barrie Richardson and Alain Nu). This is especially important when dealing with originality - you want to know if someone's done the same thing before you put it out. Not only are they more qualified to judge the quality of your work, but it is very likely that they'll know more than the average person, and, if your product is good, their endorsement will mean a lot more.

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
Mate, I can definitely sympathise. I remember filming a short effect to get some feedback on my gravity half pass. It was only after someone pointed it out to me that I saw that I had performed possibly the worst spread pass I've ever seen in the very same video. >.>

Also, you might wanna PM the guys you sent it to.

Also, a tip for next time: If you want to spread your material, don't send it to whoever's online. The average member knows nothing. Sorry, but it's true. If you want real feedback, send it to someone who's well known and has established a good reputation in the industry; if your work is inspired by someone, a development on someone, or has previously been written on extensively by someone, then try and reach that someone to comment on your work (e.g. If you created an ACAAN effect, the first people you would want to send that baby to would be David Berglas, followed by guys like John Born, Barrie Richardson and Alain Nu). This is especially important when dealing with originality - you want to know if someone's done the same thing before you put it out. Not only are they more qualified to judge the quality of your work, but it is very likely that they'll know more than the average person, and, if your product is good, their endorsement will mean a lot more.

Great advice man. Will do, for sure.

Ian

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results