CRUSH: Negativity!

Feb 27, 2010
I've borrowed the latest CRUSH dvd from t11 from a dude from my town, a close friend and a good supporter to my cause.Well, I should give the t11 staff for putting quite a hype about the CRUSH and certainly a lot of wrong advertisements about the product.

With respect, I praise Eric Ross for putting up quite a good effect as CRUSH, but in my opinion, the staff had done quite the opposite in the advertisement of the product.

PRACTICALITY?PLEASE...I listened to the Pod cast and learned a lot about the product. And I should admit that what had been said really HYPED me up into buying the effect. I was fortunate enough to borrow it and was forewarned by a friend about the method. According to the podcast, "PRACTICALITY IS OFF THE ROOF!!!!" That statement really got to me. Well here's the definition of Practicality...

PRACTICALITY def
1.Concerned with the production or operation of something useful
2. Capable of or suitable to being used or put into effect; useful

Man, after watching the methods. The Gimmick Version is good, but the ungimmicked version doesn't live-up to the so-called "PRACTICALITY IS OFF THE ROOF!"statement. The ungimmicked version ain't practical!!!In Street magic, restaurant magic, etc. Man, I can't see any magician in the right mind use that version.IMPRACTICAL IS THE TERM FOR THAT. Please, when you use some terms to DESCRIBE YOUR PRODUCTS, please do be honest and tell the truth.

"THE EFFECT IS QUITE PRACTICAL" is the more appropriate term.Eric Ross even in the performance doesn't know what he's doing when doing the CRUSH Ungimmicked version.Its uncontrollabe!unpredictable! and is impractical...The Gimmicked version may live-up to SOME of the advertisement statements of ABLE TO CRUSH UNDER CONTROL, COMPLETELY CRUSHES.But please do be honest in the basic levels of your promotions when it comes to the other method.

SPEAKING OF THE GIMMICKED VERSION, according to the podcast, it was said that everything can be examined....WELL, IN ACTUALITY IT ALL CAN'T. YOU CAN'T GIVE AWAY THE GIMMICK...According to the questions in the podcast, IS IT IMPROMPTU? Then it was answered that it is IMPROMPTU...BASED ON THE SNEAK CHEAT PREVIEWS t11 posted, it is IMPROMPTU. "Of course, you can see in the sneak preview that Eric walks around and borrows a bottle from a spectator and performs CRUSH..."

Another FALSE ADVERTISEMENT.What is IMPROMPTU anyway?Lets review the dictionary...

IMPROMPTU
1. Prompted by the occasion rather than being planned in advance: an impromptu party.
2. Spoken, performed, done, or composed with little or no preparation;

PLEASE DO USE THE CORRECT TERMS TO JUSTIFY YOUR EFFECTS.Since when is using a gimmick become impromptu?Since when is completely examinable done when it can't be given out?Since when is practicality off the roof when it can't be done in any situation done?

I know advertisements and promotions are important. But playing it with deceit and wrong terms won't feed the consumers' satisfaction.I know a level of secrecy should be maintained in selling secrets, but promoting the wrong points for certain secrets won't stop opinions like mine.With all due respect, please do listen to some points in my article...

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
sharkshi,

You are absolutely free to form your own opinion of this effect. Some effects suit some people more than others. Some effects that other people love just don't work for me. Some effects that I love just don't work for other people. You are entitled to your own opinion. However, you are not entitled to your own facts.

Eight times in your post, you utilize quotation marks to "quote" promotional marketing of Crush. Unfortunately for your argument, eight out of the eight quotes you referenced are not quotes. In fact, we said quite the opposite. Not only did we never claim that the effect was impromptu (it isn't) - I actually personally elaborated on this in four full paragraphs in a previous forum thread. You can read my post on the matter here. Within it, I directly state: "It is, however, not impromptu."

Regarding practicality - I think I will allow the other reviews from those that have purchased the effect and worked with it - performed it - speak for themselves. With the gimmicked version, you can absolutely hand the bottle out for examination immediately after the effect is over. Within the Crush video, we teach a utility switch for allowing EVERYTHING to be examined prior to performance. We worked on those mechanics - that switch - for quite some time, with input by myself and Dan White. With the ungimmicked version, absolutely everything can be examined after the performance, with no switches necessary.

Practicality is a subjective term. That is, it is defined by opinion. In my opinion, as well as many other working professionals in this industry, the two methods of Crush are very practical. For those not wanting to carry around a gimmick, the ungimmicked handling allows you to perform this in most settings at a moment's notice, with only about 15 seconds of setup. For those that work in an environment where possession of a gimmick is possible, the gimmicked version allows you to perform this with no reset and no immediate setup before performance (as long as you have the gimmick on you).

In summary, you are free to your opinion. I did, however, feel the necessity to respond on behalf of our staff and company to your claims of deceptive advertising, as this claim is false and inequitably erroneous. Our entire team went above and beyond to make sure this was marketed in a truthful, transparent manner - answering 7+ pages of questions on the effect prior to release. Those posts are available for anyone to see - as well as the advertising text on the product details page.

If you had purchased this effect, I would absolutely encourage you to contact us for a refund if you were passionately dissatisfied. We stand behind our work and we only produce products we believe in. However, the first line of your review starts with "I borrowed it" - so this would not apply. In fairness to Eric, however, I would encourage you to revisit this effect with an open mind. You just may surprise yourself with the results it can produce. Just a few hours ago, I spoke to Dan Sperry - who utilized the ungimmicked version of Crush in a live performance in Las Vegas for the first time this morning. He used a large 2 liter Coke bottle, and the reactions were amazing.

Alex_Pandrea

Creator / <a href="http://www.theory11.com/1on1/#a
Sep 28, 2008
New York
After learning this effect i tried it out for the first time tonight for my dinner guests. dam, i will be using this every chance i get from now on. So easy, super effective. I'd try to hold off on those kind of statements until you try it out. U might surprise yourself more than the spectators haha ;-)

ap

Dec 28, 2008
if your gonna review stuff, at least have the common decency to buy it, borrowing and sharing stuff then trashing it is kinda a douche move

Not really, if you have a magic buddy, or someone you know who does magic, you're going to share stuff together, not just keep it from one another. and why shouldn't he post a review then? He has thoughts from the product that could help others, and I think that's justified.

PJB

Sep 19, 2009
But still, you can't perform this with a 'borrowed bottle' as it states on the front page, therefore we all shloud feel fooled.

Mar 21, 2010
But still, you can't perform this with a 'borrowed bottle' as it states on the front page, therefore we all shloud feel fooled.

Regarding the GIMMICKED VERSION - Yes you can, but it won't work with every bottle out there. There is a time and place for CRUSH, to be fair, but with your gimmick set in place, you can definitely perform this with a borrowed bottle when the time sets itself up for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 13, 2007
North Hollywood
I been performing both versions in the street repeadedtly, there is no issue using either version one time after another on the street, and you can burrow a bottle in the gimmicked version. and if you do not want to walk up with a bottle to the spectator, plant it somewhere, in the area you will be performing in. I myself am loving crush, it has become the closer to one of my street routines, and its slaying minds, like Chuck Norris on steroids. Thank you for this masterpiece T11, and for those people who looked at it and dismissed it, at least give it a shot and perform it once before putting it in your "never will i use this" pile, magic is in the spectators eyes, no? Its the final outcome of the trick that matters, what the layperson sees. how they feel while and after watching your performance, the memories you leave with them.

people that would like some ideas on how to use the ungimmicked version in the street over and over, please PM me.

Likenthrope

Banned
Jan 31, 2009
J.Bayme, I think the problem here is that some of the negative comments seem to be from hobbyists. The real workers are the ones out there that are really doing it and seem to be happy with it Most of the hobbyist magicians buy an effect & get real dissapointed once the secret is revealed to them and they see how simple the method actually is. Almost every effect is like this. And although I have not purchased Crush I in no way felt that anything written or said by T11 seems to be deceptive. I perform for close friends only and this is not for me. This seems great for walkaround magicians though. I usually read everything about a product before purchasing. This effect is pretty simple to figure out what the gimmick may be just from the posts. So no one should be surprised after purchasing. And as far as the ungimmicked version is concerned it's just an old kids science experiment.

Aug 31, 2007
Lacey,Washington
Ummm.

I've been performing this LIVE ever since it came out. The ungimmicked is Imromptu, and you can borrow a bottle for the gimmicked version. I say impromptu because if you read the definition of impromptu....it also includes "very little setup". I can actually say that both versions include very little setup.

Who are you to say that it's impractical? You haven't even performed or purchased Crush. You don't have the gimmick, you don't know what it's like. You haven't even performed it live.

I've borrowed the latest CRUSH dvd from t11 from a dude from my town, a close friend and a good supporter to my cause.Well, I should give the t11 staff for putting quite a hype about the CRUSH and certainly a lot of wrong advertisements about the product.

With respect, I praise Eric Ross for putting up quite a good effect as CRUSH, but in my opinion, the staff had done quite the opposite in the advertisement of the product.

PRACTICALITY?PLEASE...I listened to the Pod cast and learned a lot about the product. And I should admit that what had been said really HYPED me up into buying the effect. I was fortunate enough to borrow it and was forewarned by a friend about the method. According to the podcast, "PRACTICALITY IS OFF THE ROOF!!!!" That statement really got to me. Well here's the definition of Practicality...

PRACTICALITY def
1.Concerned with the production or operation of something useful
2. Capable of or suitable to being used or put into effect; useful

Man, after watching the methods. The Gimmick Version is good, but the ungimmicked version doesn't live-up to the so-called "PRACTICALITY IS OFF THE ROOF!"statement. The ungimmicked version ain't practical!!!In Street magic, restaurant magic, etc. Man, I can't see any magician in the right mind use that version.IMPRACTICAL IS THE TERM FOR THAT. Please, when you use some terms to DESCRIBE YOUR PRODUCTS, please do be honest and tell the truth.

"THE EFFECT IS QUITE PRACTICAL" is the more appropriate term.Eric Ross even in the performance doesn't know what he's doing when doing the CRUSH Ungimmicked version.Its uncontrollabe!unpredictable! and is impractical...The Gimmicked version may live-up to SOME of the advertisement statements of ABLE TO CRUSH UNDER CONTROL, COMPLETELY CRUSHES.But please do be honest in the basic levels of your promotions when it comes to the other method.

SPEAKING OF THE GIMMICKED VERSION, according to the podcast, it was said that everything can be examined....WELL, IN ACTUALITY IT ALL CAN'T. YOU CAN'T GIVE AWAY THE GIMMICK...According to the questions in the podcast, IS IT IMPROMPTU? Then it was answered that it is IMPROMPTU...BASED ON THE SNEAK CHEAT PREVIEWS t11 posted, it is IMPROMPTU. "Of course, you can see in the sneak preview that Eric walks around and borrows a bottle from a spectator and performs CRUSH..."

Another FALSE ADVERTISEMENT.What is IMPROMPTU anyway?Lets review the dictionary...

IMPROMPTU
1. Prompted by the occasion rather than being planned in advance: an impromptu party.
2. Spoken, performed, done, or composed with little or no preparation;

PLEASE DO USE THE CORRECT TERMS TO JUSTIFY YOUR EFFECTS.Since when is using a gimmick become impromptu?Since when is completely examinable done when it can't be given out?Since when is practicality off the roof when it can't be done in any situation done?

I know advertisements and promotions are important. But playing it with deceit and wrong terms won't feed the consumers' satisfaction.I know a level of secrecy should be maintained in selling secrets, but promoting the wrong points for certain secrets won't stop opinions like mine.With all due respect, please do listen to some points in my article...
Sharkshi,

I am not here to bash you. You have your own opinion. I could care less about setup and stuff. Whatever it takes to make an effect work, i go with it. I think magicians are nit picking when they look for each and every effect to be impromptu. Thats childish. If you don't like the setup don't use it. I like it. Really cool effect. I could care less about the ungimmicked version but thats just me.

May 3, 2008
SPEAKING OF THE GIMMICKED VERSION, according to the podcast, it was said that everything can be examined....WELL, IN ACTUALITY IT ALL CAN'T. YOU CAN'T GIVE AWAY THE GIMMICK.
You can't be serious. Tell me an effect where you would let them examine a gimmick.

Mike.Hankins

creator / <a href="http://www.theory11.com/tricks/
Nov 21, 2009
Sacramento, Cali
You can't be serious. Tell me an effect where you would let them examine a gimmick.

There are actually quite a few gimmicks you could hand out for examination. For one example, Eric Jones uses the Henry Evans Rising Card gimmick. After he is done, he hands the entire deck out for examination, with the gimmick still in the deck.

I believe he has also let spectators grab on to and hold his gravity coin...yea. Ballsy :)

I work behind a bar. So I have access to water bottles all over the place. I have been using the ungimmicked version of this effect for quite a few performances and get pretty awesome reactions with it. Matter of fact, perform FLOW first, then you are set up for Crush if you so choose to use it.

Mike

Jan 17, 2010
Kentucky
Well, I can see where your coming from as far as the "bottle can be borrowed" aspect, but technically you can borrow the bottle. The bottle isn't setup at all, nothing to modify, as you know. With that said, you have quite a while to perform the effect. I don't see a problem in the world with that.

I performed at a cafe on Friday. I performed Crush for the first time to a live audience as they loved it. When the bottle that THEY had been holding stared making sounds and crushing, you should have seen the reaction. Not only that, when I performed it, there had been a spectators empty bottle lying on a table, after I performed Cush with my bottle, I then performed it with the specs empty bottle.

Like it was said before, everyone has their own opinion, but I personally love this effect.

Great job T11.

Xdelamuertex

Elite Member
Oct 16, 2007
Spokane WA
www.x-tremefights.com
All I can say is CRUSH is Awesome! When was the last time your mind was fried in such a way or has anyone even attempted to do something new in magic! This is an amazing trick and isnt for everybody. In my own words it is F N awesome. I am sad you would belittle something soo very genious!:mad:

I've talked with JB about this twice now. It's easy enough to match the bottle, it just takes another 2 seconds of setup after making something for the gimmick that you will probably already have. Seriously, screw the negativity, this trick is an absolute killer and extremely practical. I was very wary of this effect when I bought it as I only do card magic, but this blew my expectations out of the water.

Jan 30, 2010
Tusk, North Carolina
I feel that Crush is a very unique idea and I praise Eric and T11 for their contribution to the magic community. I, personally, do not care for this product very much but the method is very original. I have performed it (both versions) and have got great reactions with it. But I have found that the gimmick is very awkward for me. Not that it isn't easy to conceal, its just it can only be performed with a jacket. Which is not reasonable for someone working the streets during the hot summer months. I am little disappointed with the project as a whole, but that's just my take on it. Mainly because I only perform the ungimmicked version and $30 is little much for just that method. But all this is just my opinion and I figured that I would share it with the community

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results