What do you think of the new E?

I'm not impressed at all. This is what they came up with? Thats it?
After all the hype, (E's specialty) They came up with something that looks and works worse than what they had.

And the best part? My order history and all my passwords to protected forums, In fact my entire account has pulled a Copperfield and vanished. Why? For what? The sake of this "Wonderful" take on the same thing. I had allot of stuff in that account. I see that none of the user accounts on the forums were affected though.

They did mention that "Maybe" they will be able to reinstate the old account info as soon as they figure out how. Figure out how? What does that mean exactly. They launch a whole new website and they can't figure out HOW to keep your account info? OK, That makes sense I guess. Judging from the way the site looks.

I'm a customer at E. I will always be a customer of E. But the new look and "style"? Not good.

Oct 30, 2007
I've had a quick look. My job is actually web design.
  • my first thought was that it would look more different than it does. They have pulled over more images than I was expecting which makes me feel like they haven't changed too much.
  • on the other side of that, they've put quite a bit of work into their new images.
  • in some respects it is easier to navigate. I have some issues with the fact that the design is quite busy and your eye has competing things to look at. This mainly happens on the category splash pages. They should make the left nav more prominent. T11 on the hand looks amazing! Whoever designed this site needs a pay rise! Stuff like the texture adds to the design and doesn't force your attention away from the content. And nav is so easy.
  • I do think they are trying a T11 style.
  • What is the go with their lack of products? They have added anything of significance since May!
Enough of my rant!

Oct 31, 2007
I've had a quick look. My job is actually web design.
  • my first thought was that it would look more different than it does. They have pulled over more images than I was expecting which makes me feel like they haven't changed too much.
  • on the other side of that, they've put quite a bit of work into their new images.
  • in some respects it is easier to navigate. I have some issues with the fact that the design is quite busy and your eye has competing things to look at. This mainly happens on the category splash pages. They should make the left nav more prominent. T11 on the hand looks amazing! Whoever designed this site needs a pay rise! Stuff like the texture adds to the design and doesn't force your attention away from the content. And nav is so easy.
  • I do think they are trying a T11 style.
  • What is the go with their lack of products? They have added anything of significance since May!
Enough of my rant!
A t11 style? You mean flash and videos ALL over the place? I'm sure thats what they didn't do. If you actually think about what the old E site was like, you would know that t11 has the exact same setup as the old E. Flash nav buttons up top, videos in left hand corner, descriptions on right, and products down at the bottom... It's almost exactly the same as E's old site.

BTW, their products are getting added up slowly but surely. I assume since you build web pages, you would know its not a overnight process to convert everything from flash, back on over, because I know that. :)

Sep 2, 2007
A t11 style? You mean flash and videos ALL over the place? I'm sure thats what they didn't do. If you actually think about what the old E site was like, you would know that t11 has the exact same setup as the old E. Flash nav buttons up top, videos in left hand corner, descriptions on right, and products down at the bottom... It's almost exactly the same as E's old site.

BTW, their products are getting added up slowly but surely. I assume since you build web pages, you would know its not a overnight process to convert everything from flash, back on over, because I know that. :)

I'm going to have to disagree here. E's old site didn't have that much flash and depended on mostly regular hyperlinks for navigation. They have added a lot of moving tabs like what's at the top of T11's pages, and a lot more flash (tabs, moving adds, etc.) scattered around the site. Before, T11 and E were pretty different animals, if you ask me. They still are, but I do think E added a few things that T11 already had.

Sep 1, 2007
I mean lets be serious, they are acting like if you buy there cards your gonna get laid.

You got that from a picture of a magician in a nightclub?

Magic is an excellent icebreaker in social situations. That much is true. And having something distinctive like a Viper deck creates a further hook in the mind, what is colloquially called peacocking. The ad made no further claims than that. You were the one that filled in the gaps according to what you wanted to see. Advertising is funny that way.

The site wasn't even tested properly before it was released.

It was tested out on the Elites and moderators, but there was no way they could catch all of the bugs.

Why is the forum blue, when the layout scheme is grey's and red?

I still have the same skin as always.

I'm mostly disappointed by the fact that the new store only carries E products now.

That'll be fixed in the next couple days. For now, they just launched with their bestsellers.

Oct 31, 2007
I'm going to have to disagree here. E's old site didn't have that much flash and depended on mostly regular hyperlinks for navigation. They have added a lot of moving tabs like what's at the top of T11's pages, and a lot more flash (tabs, moving adds, etc.) scattered around the site. Before, T11 and E were pretty different animals, if you ask me. They still are, but I do think E added a few things that T11 already had.

Like what. The t11 site was modeled after E's old site. It is almost the exact same thing. I even think the webmasters are the same.

Sep 2, 2007
Like what. The t11 site was modeled after E's old site. It is almost the exact same thing. I even think the webmasters are the same.
Not too sure about that.

theory11 was designed, created, and built by a alliance of artists for artists. Further, if you scroll down, you'll see the logo for WA007, which was not in any way involved in the development of the Ellusionist website, nor the new one.

Cheers,
JTM

I wonder if E's new site design was motivated by the fact that T11 came out. I mean would E have done the redesign even if T11 never was? Maybe it was already planned before they knew that T11 was coming. Either way it would be interesting to know.

Oct 30, 2007
I wonder if E's new site design was motivated by the fact that T11 came out. I mean would E have done the redesign even if T11 never was? Maybe it was already planned before they knew that T11 was coming. Either way it would be interesting to know.

That's a good question. Food for thought.

Oct 30, 2007
A t11 style? You mean flash and videos ALL over the place? I'm sure thats what they didn't do. If you actually think about what the old E site was like, you would know that t11 has the exact same setup as the old E. Flash nav buttons up top, videos in left hand corner, descriptions on right, and products down at the bottom... It's almost exactly the same as E's old site. :)

I think you raise some good points, which is why I say I prefer the previous version of E's website. I liked how there was more on the category pages and am not a big fan of the busy backgrounds. T11 have a nice look that frames the content well and leads the eye to important places, especially the use of the yellow! The Georgia font looks great.

As for the your description of the how the content is arranged (layout), that is so common now to all websites that it hardly needs to be mentioned. You have completely overlooked other key aspects of design like color, composition (like symmetry, emphasis, isolation), texture, typography, ... Much more than just 'setup'.

I agree with Brad when he says that sites do look a little static after a while, but that doesn't mean you have to change the site every 12 months. It is a fact that, assuming the design and nav is satisfactory (a tweek here-and-there), the thing that keeps people happy is a change of content.

I am totally not against overhauls for websites, but it seems that they only did it not too long ago. Does anyone remember when?

Oct 31, 2007
Not too sure about that.

theory11 was designed, created, and built by a alliance of artists for artists. Further, if you scroll down, you'll see the logo for WA007, which was not in any way involved in the development of the Ellusionist website, nor the new one.

Cheers,
JTM

As far as I can tell, this website has very little to do with everyone, well really anyone else. The only thing being marketed on this site, is effects that you can purchase from only the ridiculous superstar list of people who are affiliated with this site. There is nothing on here about teaching / instructing, and there is nothing here to learn. It is all about consumers purchasing their effects, so that they can make money. Correct me if I am wrong, please! I simply don't see anything educational here. At the very least, have the basics for people who have absolutely no idea what they are doing in magic, available for purchase. Put up RRTCM, or Art of Astonishment. Why not even create your own? To me, that should have been step #1 in creating this "movement in magic." Honestly, I think I might be the only one who isn't buying into it.

And whatever was mentioned of how the colors are more easy on the eye, or the setup of the site is easier to nav, how can you not remember how the E site was setup? It is almost the exact same thing. Navigating the E site was easy as hell. The front page had a link to everywhere you wanted to go, and it was flash coded. You can't beat that. T11 did exactly the same thing. I am not saying one site is copying another site, but simply put, it is the only setup that even makes sense.

One more thing. It might seem like I am a E fanboy. It might seem as if I really hate what T11 is about. It's not. I have nothing against what they are "doing". I think if 11 guys want to get together and do something great for the magic community, go for it! I hope you all succeed. But they way it is being glorified right now, it seems like it is a little bit of a "elitist" nature. I know i'm not the only one who thinks that having "household" names to endorse something isn't always the best thing, and the amount of focus this site has on that is what is taking me away from thinking that this is actually a good thing.

Seriously, when did Tommy Wonder, Penn & Teller, Blaine, Angel , Copperfield, Harris and Banachek all ever sit down and decide to release their effects, as a "team" to the other "artists" to help the community? Never. I know that Houchin, the Bucks and Bayme are in it for the money, otherwise they wouldn't be selling effects. The whole reason this site exists is to make money, off of their stuff. Not to learn. Not to further educate yourself. You are only here to buy new stuff, from a select group of magicians, and hang with other people who are here for the same. More power to you guys. Just don't bash E, and say really rediculous things like "E is copying T11, or E is poop compared to T11, because, as far as I can tell, E seems to be supplying the community more than this panel of celebs are at the moment.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results