SAM, Magic, and Genii

Apr 25, 2009
Yorktown, VA
Alright, so I am thinking about becoming a member of SAM and I was wondering if it is worth it. I mean, does the magazine really live up to its name??? And what about Magic and Genii magazines, if I were to get those, would it be worth the investment. I love reading things about magic, and it has all been getting to my head lately, but I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't jumping into anything that I would regret later.

MUM is well put together considering it is included in your SAM membership. This is probably most worth it if you have motivation for joining the SAM, like an assembly nearby.

Good luck!

Pj

Apr 25, 2009
Yorktown, VA
Do I have to join an assembly when I join SAM??? Or can I just float around a bit??? I move a lot, and the only real thing that I want is access to the magazine and the yearly convention.

Dec 14, 2007
The MUM used to be the worst magazine in Magic. Moehring took over and made it an excellent resource. Now Mike Close is in charge and while I have only seen a couple of the issues he has produced, I have faith he his delivering the absolute most he can with the budget he has to work with.

I don't know if you are required to join an assembly, however there used to be a clause which said you would if there was one nearby. Of course, this type of thing is never enforced. However, if you do move around a lot, being a member will allow you to attend any assembly meetings. Some clubs have Draconian rules about guests.

Both Magic and Genii are excellent resources. They have different slants and feels. Some people love one and not the other, but most people subscribe to both.

They both have tricks, reviews, articles about current events, and explorations of magic ideas and persons of interest.

I cannot currently recommend the Link Ring magazine. It has really gone downhill and I rarely am able to find anything of any interest or depth in it's pages.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I will echo Brad's comments that both Magic and Genii are excellent. I do not subscribe to them, but will pick up one or both from my local brick and mortar shop a few times a year.

They have really good articles, effect reviews, etc. Sometimes the advertising takes up a bit of the magazine but I think you'll find that with a lot of magazines.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results