Read Across America - Reading is Magic

Jan 5, 2010
Alabama
Hey guys,

So I had my first official 'gig' a few weeks ago. I had this posted up in another group that I'm in, and wanted to post for you guys as well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Got a gig tomorrow morning at a local high school. I'm coming in to show how reading is magical. I'll be going around class to class doing some close up magic and recommending beginner books to people that are interested, and promote reading in general.

Here's my set list.

REDLINE
Crazy Man's Handcuffs
Stairway
Spongeballs
Red Hot Mama (Chicago Opener)
French Kiss with business cards.

Alright, first off today was AMAZING. I did 4 shows, each about 30 minutes long. I tweaked the set list just a little to fit my time schedule, and to 'flow' a little better.

So here it is, in order performed:

REDLINE
CMH
STAIRWAY
Red Hot Mama - Chicago Opener
*Geoff Williams Torn and Restored (once for the last show)
*Biddle Trick
*2 Card Monte
FRENCH KISS (W:H) with Business Cards.

* = when I needed to go a little longer.

So first off, Redline and French Kiss with business cards got the biggest reactions. In this scenario Redline was the best opener, and French Kiss was the best closer. I don't think my performance or technique could have been any better.

The patter was about seeing a magician when I was in middle school, and being amazed. Then the magician left, and I really wanted to do magic myself, but didn't know where to get started. Then I asked my teacher and she said I should go to the library and read some books about magic.

The kids were responding well, taking my misdirection great, and generally having a great time. So I cut the Spongeballs, because I felt they took up a little too much time and didn't really 'fit' into this routine. The best part was I didn't have to carry around 123908234 props. Just a deck of cards, some business cards, chapstick, and 2 rubber bands.

Unfortunately, I couldn't record... as I didn't have anyone to run a camera...

The best part about doing French Kiss with business cards, is that I handed out about 60 business cards throughout the day to students, and teachers. I got a nice little check, but think that the exposure that I got was even better. I already had kids asking if I did birthday parties. I was really firing on all cylinders, getting everyone involved, making them laugh, and performing great.

By the way, I did French Kiss without having them put the card in their mouth. They put it in their hand, with the other one on top. Then I folded mine up and created some 'static electricity'. I reached down very slowly to touch their hand and then SCREAMED (something I thought was great after watching David Blaine). I then asked if they felt anything happen, then revealed the signatures.

All in all, a great time.

Comments, thoughts?

Sep 1, 2007
I wish something like this happened at my middle school! The exposure to a real working magician would have been great. At that point i was really just starting out, so seeing a pro work with something other than cards would have been epic.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results