Are you an atheist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 16, 2009
South Bend, IN
I’m not an atheist…
Atheism is a largely emotional decision made behind the guise of logic, reason, and science. Atheists claim nothing more than non-belief in anything other than what can be discovered by science. When challenged atheists often resort to childish name calling and exaggeratingly mock the beliefs of those deemed “religious,” as shown by the posts of achuthan1988 and William Draven. And William Draven is right, he doesn’t have a problem with God, he has made his decision to become an atheist based on his observations of the “religious.” The reason for atheists lies deeper than what they say. As adjones said, “I can never truly disprove a god. But in the same sense, nobody can ever truly disprove Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny, or fairies at the bottom of a garden;” it appears someone has Santa Syndrome. And to achuthan1988, the second post you made in this thread makes it look like you’re not being very open-minded for someone who claims to be so scientific and rational.
The purpose of a lie is to convince people to believe it is the truth. In this case the lie is atheism and the convincer is skepticism and religion. Atheists use their reprobate mind to decide that there is no God, and they can do as they please with no consequences. When one who stands up cries something contradictory to what they say, telling them that are wrong, “intolerance” is wailed out like police siren. The truth is the truth, tolerant or not, and that is all that matters. Everything I have said thus far comes from my observations and debates with atheists in the past.
And to the Christians, the world is not millions of years old. This was done in an effort to bind man’s fallible, secular ideals with that of the Bible.
Anyone who wishes to take this deeper can private message me. And based on the idea that religion is nothing more than a cultural hobby that one does because they were born in a certain society…
...I'm not religious, either.

Hmm.... I was sure one of these posts would eventually show up. The post is filled with unsubstantiated statements and assertions, plus a few logical fallacies (the youtube video you linked to is priceless - the guy in the video just doesn't get the argument, and since you seem to think the video makes sense, neither do you).

I could go through your post line by line and point out the assumptions, blank assertions and the fallacies, but I think I would be wasting my time. Besides, it would detract from the purpose of these forums as a whole. So i'll leave it at that for now. I just didn't want an obviously flawed post to go unquestioned.

Just in case you were wondering, I'm not atheist, but I'm not christian either. I believe it is possible to be a religious moderate without losing track of reason and common sense.

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
Sigh. Whatever.

But in all seriousness though,I hate how people go off into "groups" in their religion. There are so many types of christians its not even funny.

Sadly, it's necessary.

By the way, Christians don't believe the world is 6000 years old. We believe, like you, that it is several million years old. Genesis was written using symbolism. It is not meant to be interpreted literally.

Exhibit A.

There are such strands of belief as "young earth creationists" who believe the earth came into existence 6000-10,000 years ago. Their beliefs conflict with other strands of creationists such as old earth creationists, and then old earth creationist's beliefs conflict with theistic evolutionists, etc.

And that's not even including the theological beliefs which include calvinism/arminianism, fundamental/liberal, pentacostal/non-pentecostal, charismatic/non-charismatic.

For example, Fred Phelp's church believes that all homosexuals are to be prosecuted, and he is at the spearhead of the "God Hates Fags" movement.

That's a few reasons why so many groups of Chrisitianity is necessary. Not saying that it's ideal, scriptural, or that I agree with it, but it is necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 15, 2009
Minnesota
Sorry to come in on the discussion a little late:

First of all, I hate these kinds of topics. Religion is just something that I believe that we should keep to ourselves - as it is the cause of many unnecessary conflicts.

I am an Atheist. Not only was I raised that way, I strongly believe that there is a scientific explanation for our existence; everything that has been and will be. I do not believe that there is some form of supernatural being responsible for our existence or affecting our lives. I also agree with William Draven that "god's fan club" often doesn't exactly make me feel welcome.

I will not go into my specific beliefs any further to avoid insulting anyone. As aforementioned, I don't like talking about religion. Most people tend to get angry when you don't agree with them, and I have lost all too many friends to keep arguing about this. We all believe what we believe, and we all just need to get over that.

With that said, I suppose that lots of interesting discussion could take place over atheism and magic. It is kind of sad that we really aren't able to share our opinions without being persecuted by a certain group of people - large or small.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Cornwall
I cannot call myself an athiest because, just like religious people, athiests think they know 100%.

I consider myself an anti-theist (look up Christopher Hitchens for example)
Where because its impossible to know 100% what happens when you die, i cannot rely on the certain that the religious do.

I also feel that it would be horrible if the thought of a god was true, that we had no say in anything, all of our thoughts and actions were controlled, that we were living in a supreme dictatorship. The idea of only having one life, and living it to its full potential is humbling to me, in comparison to the alternative thoughts.

For those who say , "well i believe but dont take the bible literally"
well why not? afterall isnt it "gods words"?

and say YOU dont, there are BILLIONS of others, weather from christianity, or islam etc, that take their teachings LITERALLY. In this modern world of the 21st century, i find it baffling, and in all honesty, pathetic that my fellow humans can believe in something so primative. Science cannot explain everything, but religion explains nothing.

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
For those who say , "well i believe but dont take the bible literally"
well why not? afterall isnt it "gods words"?

How fallacious. As if a God who created intelligent humans isn't capable of using imagery or any other form of communicative device that we've come up with.

and say YOU dont, there are BILLIONS of others, weather from christianity, or islam etc, that take their teachings LITERALLY. In this modern world of the 21st century, i find it baffling, and in all honesty, pathetic that my fellow humans can believe in something so primative. Science cannot explain everything, but religion explains nothing.

And I find it baffling that you regard a belief in a higher being as primative.

Jul 13, 2009
I don't like labels, or mainstream religion, or religious belief systems in general. I am technically Catholic however I am a non practicing one, mass is just to boring. A better reason why I do not practice Catholicism is for the views and policies the church runs by. The bible has survived thousands if not millions of years and has been rewritten numerous times.

I compare the bible to a high school text book from 1960 that is being used in 2010. It is out dated and many of the views within the book are out dated. I can't see myself following this religion when it could be based off of a lie, and that goes with many religions out there as well. Plus I am a lenient pacifist, I will fight my little quarrels in life but I refuse to go to war, participate in a mob, etc. Religion unfortunately has caused much blood to be spilled and much fury, the crusades, the Spanish Inquisition and other inquisitions, Salem witch trials, Palestine, 9-11, etc. you get the point.

Atheism and magic go together? I do not think that is completely true. Atheism and skepticism, sure go for it. I know that some magicians use strange stories of different religious ceremonies and practices, but I fail to see the direct link between magic and atheism.

Plus if Atheism is a new word attached to magic, I am certain there are going to be many people that are going to be a little pissed off.

A closing note (Not really I have much to say but have to leave) the only religious people I can not stand, are the ones that take it too seriously.

Aug 31, 2007
Hartford, CT
I'd also like to chime in late.

Yes, I am an atheist. That's coming from someone who was seriously considering becoming a priest when I was 15 to 17 years old. To be honest, it took me 25 to 30 some odd years to realize that I am an atheist. I will not go through the whole boring story, but I do wish to point out several things, if I may.

First off, one misconception about atheists I'd like to clear up is this statement:
I cannot call myself an atheist because, just like religious people, atheists think they know 100%.

Please bare in mind I mean no insult nor disrespect. This statement is false. We atheists do not think we know everything 100%. A big part of being an atheist is "I don't know". The difference is that we do not make that "leap of faith" of "if we don't know, it must be a god".

The way I like to put it is this: if you can't cut glass with it, then it's not a diamond. In other words, if the belief doesn't hold up, or requires faith, then it's not real. The "I don't know" is still there, just that the presumption of "god did it" isn't there either.

Also, it is my philosophy (being from the US) is that a person is free to believe whatever she or he wants to believe in, provided that the belief does not interfere with the beliefs of others.

I do not automatically hate or look down to or disregard anyone who is in a religion. In fact, I am fascinated by the customs, ideas and philosophies of them. If it helps a person become a better person, more power to you. I am not going impose, why should I?

The line is this: as soon as someone's morals due to a religious belief interfere with mine or other people's rights, that's when I get loud. Further, when real, proven science is disputed by the government due to religious beliefs, that is another reason for me to get loud. If a parent wishes to teach their children creationism, go ahead. Just as long as they do not force their beliefs in creationism onto the rest of the public.

Again, I mean no disrespect. For the record, I feel that most people, religious or not, are trying to be the best person they can be to themselves and others. I think that there are very few, but very loud number of religious people (of any religion) who are the fridge believers and in general do not represent the majority of people in that religion. The same goes for atheists.

Jul 13, 2008
I predict that this thread will be closed very soon. That said, I am a God-fearing, Jesus-loving Christian. I am not afraid to speak out my beliefs just as atheists aren't afraid to speak out their beliefs. This forum, however, is not the place to discuss this matter. Thankfully I'm not part of a religion; I have a personal relationship with Jesus, and that's what makes Christianity different from all other religions. Because it's not a religion. I'm done here, I've said what I wanted to say, you guys can argue all you want and disagree all you want. I'm praying for each and every one of you. God bless.

Mike.Hankins

creator / <a href="http://www.theory11.com/tricks/
Nov 21, 2009
Sacramento, Cali
Ya know, I was starting to type this long story about one of my good friends from the Marines, who was THE biggest Athiest I have ever met in my life. The dude was covered head to toe in anti-religion tattoos...

But then again, I felt like it would just be a waste of my time to do so.

I will say this much: While we were fighting in Iraq back in 2004, he was captured and tortured. We got him back. Fast forward to now, and he is one of the BIGGEST Christians I have ever met.

Maybe to you Athiests that means nothing. Maybe to you Christians that means something without saying.

But regardless, I really do feel that this thread is pointless and should be closed.

Oh and for anyone who cares to see this....this is from Penn himself...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa9JE_ZVL88&feature=related

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results