5 Sleights for the Rest of Your Life

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
wow, i cant believe i haven't seen this one listed....

gravity half pass
double lift
pass
sidesteal
palm

if i had another 3 i would include
convincing control (probably dan and dave version)
top change
and lastly clipshift

Feb 16, 2009
South Bend, IN
If I was really pressed to list only five card sleights, I would go with

1) overhand shuffle control
2) double lift
3) A good force (the classic force is great)
4) A top palm
5) A good pass (The classic pass is good if you can do it indetectably, but other varieties can be good substitutes in some situations).

These five sleights will let you do a number of good tricks including many blockbusters that will knock your audiences out. However, if you restrict yourself to just these sleights, you are missing out on a lot of good card magic.

I will also take the liberty of adding 5 other sleights that I think are extremely important

6) Spread cull
7) A good bottom deal
8) A false shuffle
9) A side steal
10) A table faro would be priceless if you can master it :)

Nov 8, 2007
Multiple Turnover
Cull
Top Change
Gambler's Cop
Classic Pass

Honestly I don't find five sleights to be very limiting at all. I could rework almost everything in my card repertoire to fit these five moves. And everyone should have the cull on their list--it's a control, a force, an out, and can be used to invisibly set-up the deck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 8, 2008
Tintagel
Surly this thread is a bit off as isn't a slight defined everything you do not want your audience to be aware of. A slight such as the double lift or pass is normally made up of tiny sections but they are slights none the same. A pass can be broken down into many parts, if any of these flash the audience can catch you out. So if five 'general slights' were named the amount of total motions, slights, may be over 20 maybe thirty each has to be invisible.

When you first started out how many times were you caught out controlling a card because you flashed the break.

Just a thought

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Surly this thread is a bit off as isn't a slight defined everything you do not want your audience to be aware of. A slight such as the double lift or pass is normally made up of tiny sections but they are slights none the same. A pass can be broken down into many parts, if any of these flash the audience can catch you out. So if five 'general slights' were named the amount of total motions, slights, may be over 20 maybe thirty each has to be invisible.

When you first started out how many times were you caught out controlling a card because you flashed the break.

Just a thought

I get your point, but would disagree with your definition of a sleight. I wouldn't call a pass five different sleights, for example, although a pass itself contains many moves. But the sleight is the culmination of those motions.

Although there would be legitimate cause for debate about the definition of sleights, just not in the way you're thinking of - for example, clocking. Arguably a technique, not a sleight.

Dec 27, 2009
Mechanics Shift(Its a move that can be a control to the top or bottom, a top palm, a bottom palm ,a change, and other awesome things)
Double lift
Cardini change
Top Change
Side Steal

Jan 31, 2010
Flip Over Top Change (Original)
Push Off Double Lift
Classic Pass
Ego Change
Overhand Shuffle Force

May 13, 2010
I would stick with the basics:

1) Color Change
2) Multiple Turnover
3) False Count
4) False Shuffle
5) And if all of these fail, I would bust out my Danny Garcia nunchuck skills.

the.digital.deception

Mar 29, 2008
Here is the list of TOP notch sleights...how could you pick any other?

In order of awesomeness:

1) The Glide
2) The "Cut Deeper" Force
3) Clip Shift
4) Ego Change
5) Sybil

As for the worst...I would go with:

1) Top Change
2) Palm
3) Cull
4) Glimpse
5) Double Lift...or a jog shuffle, really hard call.

Jul 13, 2009
Here is the list of TOP notch sleights...how could you pick any other?

In order of awesomeness:

1) The Glide
2) The "Cut Deeper" Force
3) Clip Shift
4) Ego Change
5) Sybil

As for the worst...I would go with:

1) Top Change
2) Palm
3) Cull
4) Glimpse
5) Double Lift...or a jog shuffle, really hard call.

Say what now? You'd go with a flourish and a color change...my mind is exploding. Could you elaborate a wee bit more, I am either failing to see sarcasm, or failing to understand your logic.

Jan 26, 2008
Sweden
Pretty funny to read some posts. Just shows that even if they dont conciously knows it they performes a lot of moves because they feel good to them, not because they are the greatest most practical.

Seriously, 5 sleights only would be no problem.

1. The pass = Card control to the top and the bottom, A color change, A vanish, A false cut, a peek.

2. Double lift = Card switch, can be used to reverse a card in the deck, can also be used as a control if the effect allows you to see the card.

3. A force = Well, the possibilitys are endless.

4. Overhand shuffle control = Can control cards to the bottom, to the top or to ANY possition in the deck you want.

5. A good false shuffle = Well there is a lot you can do with a good false shuffle, also if your working with stacks that you can do miracles with its good to know.

Sure there would be some effects that you could not do, but with the enormous amount of material that is available, would that really be a deal breaker?

Oct 28, 2007
Sydney Australia
Ambitious riser
Clipshift
Diving Board double
One hand center deal
Antifaro

On a more serious note

Double lift
Cull
Any type of force
Any effective color change
Any control or shift.

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
I think I'd go with:
a double lift (just for originality)
an injog
a peek
lateral palm
top change

Might have to try this at some point actually. Try and get together a few routines that actually only use these five sleights, to see if I actually could.

May 26, 2010
-Double Lift
-The Gravity Half Pass
-The Top Change
-The Cull
-Cardini Snap Change

I believe that learning a few moves really well is better than learning many moves half way through.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results