Another Reason Why You Must Not Download Magic

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Hello Guys!!

I hope you all had a great week...I had a nice one!!!

Ok...so I was thinking about the whole exposure thing while checking all my material and deciding what I am going to use in my next show, then I came across a trick I downloaded some years ago...I am not gonna say the name of the trick but I can say that It was one of the best tricks I have ever come across and I was a best seller in that time...

I did like that trick a lot...so I search for torrents on the net and obviously I found it and I download it...to clarify that was years ago and I was starting out magic I had no idea about the ethics or stealing stuff...I just wanted that trick!!...so I watch the video and It was great...the trick was great...I performed it sometimes and I got good reactions..that was all I was looking for...to have a moment of autocomplacency...

but..then I stop performing it and I really didn´t know why...I didn´t feel guilty of stealing it..I just forgot about it and carried on...

now back in time!! I came across that trick and I re-watch it again...is still a great trick!! but this tim is different...I really felt guilty about stealing it...I know it was years ago and I realize that I was starting out...but still...

So I went to the page where it was sold and I found out that it was still there...so I bought it!!! and when the trick arrived to my house I re-watched it and now I perform it very often and with that smile you people do when you are performing something you really like!!

my point here is 2 things:

+if you download a trick for free, I bet you won´t put the effort of using it since it cost you nothing, obviously...I watch a thread some days ago here about a guy that was reviewing CRUSH and he wrote that he got the DVD borrowed from a friend and he was complaining about the trick (in spanish when something like that happens we say "HAZME EL PINCHE FAVOR")...of course I bet his friend didn´t think the same since he spent 30 bucks on it, I bet he was putting the effort of getting it down....if you buy the trick you will put the effort it deserves because it cost you...unless of course it´s a very bad trick and you will look for a refund....

+I am starting to create material and I feel is really good since I have starting to get good reviews...I for sure know that I won´t like to find my tricks in a torrent page or those blogs who offer tricks for free and sometimes they charge for it...put yourself in the artists shoes...would you like that somebody just steal what is yours directly from your pocket? I bet you won´t

I read a thread about how to figure out tricks from T11...the creator said that he figured out Witness by Lee Asher this way...I bet that he figure it out and he doesn´t perform it since it didn´t cost him anything...and usually people that do that are very crappy magicians, since they feel no trick is good enough for them to buy but then they keep performing the same tricks everybody does...eventually that people will fail..If you wanna become a good magician you will have to make sacrifices..

I am going to order some tricks soon and some of them are downloads, I know it would be very easy to look for them in the net and learn them by tonight...but I won´t do it...it´s not because I love magic...it´s because I love myself and I won´t do anything dirty to "advance" myself and because I think I owe myself the gift of finding out what it takes to become a better magician...remember NO PAIN, NO GAIN...and love yourself!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 6, 2010
I think the very important thing to consider, and which you touched on Luis, is that you will not be gaining satisfaction, complete satisfaction that is, from performing a trick if you have literally stolen/cheated it from the creator or distributor.

Think about stealing a bike, how guilty you would feel, and how you wouldn't want to use it regularly encase you were discovered to be the thief. Opposed to buying the bike, you have spent hard earned money on a well earned reward, and you will be pleased that you have made a worthwhile investment.

A very simple example i know, and i know there is also people who have no conscious out there, but either way you will enjoy a trick a lot more if you pay for it.

Good to see you making amends to past misdemeanours Luis :)

Jul 13, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
i do agree with you when you say that you do not put much effort or persevere in a hard trick that you downloaded, because as you said ... it cost you nothing. When people download any effects via torrents, i bet they delete them within 2 minutes if they think its too hard for them. But if you buy it on the other-hand, you will be determined to learn it no matter how hard it is because you now have a reason to learn it ... it cost you your money ... !

Sep 1, 2007
Calgary
www.hermitmagic.com
I know it would be very easy to look for them in the net and learn them by tonight...

I agree with the intentions of your thread.

But anyone who doesn't possess your morals, and who reads the above, is now enlightened about how easy it really is to find exposed effects.

And then they run a search.

The best way to combat exposure is to either fight it directly where you can (legitimate copyright claims), or simply don't talk about it at all.

Especially since this thread is searchable, as well.

Scott.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
I agree with the intentions of your thread.

But anyone who doesn't possess your morals, and who reads the above, is now enlightened about how easy it really is to find exposed effects.

And then they run a search.

The best way to combat exposure is to either fight it directly where you can (legitimate copyright claims), or simply don't talk about it at all.

Especially since this thread is searchable, as well.

Scott.

well agreed with this statement, but as for the OP, I highly agree!

I hate to admit it, but I once was one of those losers...

Yes, I know, it's pitiful. Often the excuse was because I didn't have money, or yadayadayada......

But I have changed from those years and have now been purchasing effects. I must say, you were right.

The ones I downloaded, I have never really used.

The ones I have bought, they are now in my repertoire!

So this just shows how just spending money can affect you yourself and how you perform.

I'm still guilty and ashamed of what I have done, and i will regret it for the rest of my life.

Cheers,

casey

May 9, 2010
I read a thread about how to figure out tricks from T11...the creator said that he figured out Witness by Lee Asher this way...!

No I did not download the trick or watch how to do it. I saw someone on Youtube perform it without practise and it was fairly obvious.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ladies and Gentlemen! The one! The only! DarkWitness

Mar 1, 2010
Hong Kong
Absolutely, people won't compete for free goods, economics' principle. If we have to pay for it, the cost definitely motivate us to work hard. :)

Also, to respect and support the artists that create magic, advance magic, we should buy it rather than downloading it for free.

But, i want to ask that what if we figure it out? I mean that u watched a perfect performance, but u just figure it out? Sometimes i feel guilty that i perform the tricks that i figured it out.

Anyway, as Luis said, if you wanna become a good magician you will have to make sacrifices..

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
No I did not download the trick or watch how to do it. I saw someone on Youtube perform it without practise and it was fairly obvious.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ladies and Gentlemen! The one! The only! DarkWitness

I don`t think that`s wrong, sometimes it`s inevitable to figure it out when somebody performs it in a very bad way...I mean you can`t just close your eyes and scream like Rainman when you see a video like those...

I think this situation is not Black and White, but somewhere in the middle of gray...

but to advise other magicians to figure it out by searching crappy youtube videos of crappy magicians is what it`s not right...and also you shouldn`t perform the trick if you figured it out that way...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results