Votes: 8 36.4%
  • Practice time for material you already own

Votes: 14 63.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JD

Jul 5, 2009
Longview, Texas
I've wondered this for awhile. Obviously everyone on this site loves magic. We practice over and over again, and sometimes the more clever and creative produce new effects of their own. My question is this: Is the best way to 'make it' to create effects and sell them or to just practice what you have at your fingertips already? For example, Calen Morelli has some nice street performance vids on youtube and then he sold his Steal gimmick for $24.95. Others sell ebooks and whatnot. Im wondering if it's better to use your time creating versus practicing.

No in between statements. I know it's good to have a blend of creative time and practice time but I'm wondering what you guys would pick out of the two options.

So: Create or Practice the material at hand.

Edit: I messed up the poll title.... I fail..

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
I'm not sure how anyone could really answer this question with either one side or the other.
I'm at my most creative peak when I'm practicing magic.
I come up with ideas by learning new sleights to snowball with.

I feel you can't force yourself to create a trick, it just happens. For me, it's when I'm learning magic and coming up with different ways to end an effect of whatever it is I'm practicing.
Learning and creating go hand and hand for me. There's no one-way street.

Oct 9, 2008
Do bolth and eventually you will find out if you like performing or creating more. Then start putting more of your time into what you enjoy doing the most. With that said i put about 75% of my free time into creating magic and 25% of my time into practicing material. As for picking only one it comes down to what you enjoy doing more, and thats what you will spend your time on.For me i LOVE creating magic, but i create my magic to perform it.

Calen

JD

Jul 5, 2009
Longview, Texas
Ok I probably shouldnt have posted this thread. I have the question in my head but I cant put it in words at all.. If a mod wants to close this be my guest. Ill try again once I get it phrased right.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results