theory11 performance at Techcrunch Disrupt - Behind the Scenes

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
This past Friday I got an email from the producer of Techcrunch Disrupt - a major tech industry conference being held in NYC this week. For those unaware, Techcrunch is one of the largest technology news and editorial sites in the world, and their columns are syndicated in the Washington Post. According to Google, they are one of the most visited sites in the world. That's an impressive stat.

They were asking if we could perform something at the beginning of their keynote presentation this past Wednesday. At the time of their email, we had about 4 days to put something together. Without hesitation, I said "hells yes we'll do it!" From that moment on, this past week has been a whirlwind. I consulted with Dan White, Asi Wind, Justin Kredible, Steve Cohen, Brian Brushwood, Andrew Mayne, Chris Kenner, and Richard Z from our team. We spitballed three or four ideas. We didn't want to just perform a "normal" magic trick. That wouldn't have been memorable - this was, after all, a tech conference.

In those 4 days, we created an interactive routine that involved participation by every single person in the audience as well as the thousands of fans that were watching the performance live. Due to the constraints of time, I only got to rehearse the routine 6 times before we were live on stage in front of thousands - with Michael Arrington (founder of Techcrunch), an obvious cynic of magic - onstage with me. To add to it, this was the first stage performance I have done in 3 years. That's quite a gap. The heat was on.

The result was amazing. The routine was fun, offbeat, irreverent, different, memorable, and 101% interactive. In less than 5 minutes, we generated close to 425 tweets from those watching the event live - even Marissa Mayer (VP, Google) participated!

I wanted to post about this primarily to share the story. We could have gone up on stage and done anything. Instead, we wanted to maximize the opportunity - and we took a huge risk in front of thousands. The risk paid off. Because the effect was so interactive, it forced everyone to stop what they were doing and have fun with it. I had a blast performing it, with special thanks to 5-Hour Energy and Red Bull, without whom this wouldn't have been possible.

I'd also like to thank everyone that helped us pull this off - Dan White, Asi Wind, CK, Alex Pandrea, and Richard Z in particular. By the end of it, we were ready to collapse in exhaustion. But it was well worth the adventure.

May 3, 2008
Very good, although the part with the sealed deck didn't make much sense when you actually look at it.

Nov 7, 2008
Hofstra Univ.
I just have to say that was awesome!

Totally adaptable to use a text in system like at a concert.

I am curious though JB if there is anything that you learned from this performance that you would be willing to share? Either something that surprised you, something you would have changed, or just anything you in general.

Thanks and great job!
~Chrisfecto

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
Congrats JB!
The performance was great. How did it feel to get back on stage again?
Like riding a bike or more rough than you thought?
I wanna hear more about it.

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
I just have to say that was awesome!

Totally adaptable to use a text in system like at a concert.

I am curious though JB if there is anything that you learned from this performance that you would be willing to share? Either something that surprised you, something you would have changed, or just anything you in general.

Thanks and great job!
~Chrisfecto

What surprised me was the difference that climate can make. To perform an effect without context can be incredible. You need not context to make magic. But it can help. In this case, we specifically framed an effect with a technological edge to make it fit the situation it was to be performed in. This audience was not there to see magic. They were there as enthusiasts of technology. To make sure our performance was relevant, we met them in the middle. This required us to do a lot of work - both technical and creative - in a very short amount of time. But I think the result was an incalculable difference in how it was received.

This was fun, interactive, and modern. And I think the audience appreciated that. Someone previously posted asking why the Invisible Deck was used, so I thought I'd chime in with the rationale. What I didn't like about the Invisible Deck in this was that it brought cards into the situation where they were not essential. However, from the perspective of the audience, it added a twist in method to offset the belief of "they just switched the prediction or something." Further, it offset the belief that Michael Arrington (founder, Techcrunch) was in on it - as it involved someone else random. Needless to say, though, this was an experimental presentation that was done for the first time on stage that day.

Some pics from the event attached...

Attachments

• 4647634633_e97b99b31a_b.jpg
    4647634633_e97b99b31a_b.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 107
  • 4648249216_21f490c8c6_b.jpg
    4648249216_21f490c8c6_b.jpg
    384.1 KB · Views: 96
  • 4647634919_6a42ac64f3_b.jpg
    4647634919_6a42ac64f3_b.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 82
  • 4647635761_2860583f07_b.jpg
    4647635761_2860583f07_b.jpg
    388.4 KB · Views: 88
  • 4648250992_6fbdc1ed7e_b.jpg
    4648250992_6fbdc1ed7e_b.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 90
  • 4647634325_448c3b07bc_b.jpg
    4647634325_448c3b07bc_b.jpg
    359.4 KB · Views: 79
Nov 8, 2007
Just watched the video. Great stuff, guys! Not familiar with Michael Arrington or his company, but man did he ever look confused and lost on that stage.

Loved the way you guys incorporated technology and had the predictions printed on the check. (Reminded me a bit of Nate Staniforth's Lottery prediction.) Sneaky stuff there. I love the boldness of it.

Great effect, and nice performance.

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
Just watched the video. Great stuff, guys! Not familiar with Michael Arrington or his company, but man did he ever look confused and lost on that stage.

Loved the way you guys incorporated technology and had the predictions printed on the check. (Reminded me a bit of Nate Staniforth's Lottery prediction.) Sneaky stuff there. I love the boldness of it.

Great effect, and nice performance.

The printed check was an idea originally proposed to us by Steve Cohen - I extend full credit to him for that. It was a perfect revelation for this particular setting, as the room was full of tech companies and venture capital firms. The idea of using social media in the prediction was seeded by Justin Kredible (he does a Facebook prediction), but evolved by Asi Wind and I to involve Twitter. From there, Richard and I stayed up all night working on the code for the live Twitter stream.

The next day, Dan White, Alex Pandrea, and I rehearsed the presentation all day up until the last minute when we had to jump in a cab and head to the event venue.

Nov 8, 2007
The printed check was an idea originally proposed to us by Steve Cohen - I extend full credit to him for that. It was a perfect revelation for this particular setting, as the room was full of tech companies and venture capital firms. The idea of using social media in the prediction was seeded by Justin Kredible (he does a Facebook prediction), but evolved by Asi Wind and I to involve Twitter. From there, Richard and I stayed up all night working on the code for the live Twitter stream.

The next day, Dan White, Alex Pandrea, and I rehearsed the presentation all day up until the last minute when we had to jump in a cab and head to the event venue.

Wow--lots of great minds at work there. The effect definitely fit the environment. I love magic like that. Great work on both the creative and execution sides. :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results